Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Um. Okay, well, it's obvious you're not well versed in networking tech so it will be pointless to explain why what you're asking is ridiculous, so I'll just say this:

You don't need to worry about it. Seriously. There's nothing to "hide." Your IP and MAC addresses are necessary for networking to function, that's how messages from the network (local or the Internet) get to your machine. If you're running a router to share your Internet connection to many computers on your home, you're already pretty well protected by NAT... you know what? I'm already getting too technical.

Really, just go eat a delicious sandwich and don't worry. :)

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Well, that won't help you either. If the thing you're trying to GET to is blocked and it's the mediator for your Internet access, you don't really have many other options. Well, besides "acquire another means of connecting to the Internet."

Thought about an iPhone lately?

wpautz

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
Vancouver
Want to hide IP

OK, if you google "Hide IP" a whole bunch of options do show up. This thread is second when searching Hide IP Mac.

I live in Canada and cannot watch content of web sites like NBC or ABC. They actually play a commercial before informing you that their content cannot be viewed outside the US. Those bastards!

And I was enjoying the music service Pandora for a while. It actually took them a few months to realize that I was in Canada, and to cancel my subscription for copyright issues. Perhaps because I'm on a Mac?

I have started using last.fm, don't know why they don't have the same legal problems over there in England. God Bless the Queen.

Anyway, outta curiosity, is there a way for me to appear to be in the US, or at least for my location to be invisible? Perhaps by hiding my IP address?

Actually, a sandwich sounds real good right now.

Thanks.

john2006wright

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
UK
I'm not sure if this what the OP is looking for but he might want to look at Tor. Look it up on wiki. It will give you some anonymity.

wpautz

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
Vancouver
Thanks

Thanks, I will try these solutions next time I am reminded that I live 20 miles past the wrong side of the border.

mac-ninja

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
Mask / Hide IP from Geo-locating

Is it possible to prevent my mac from sharing information that could be used for geolocation? (ie. local Google Adwords, or Google Analytics)

t11chb

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
It can be done!

I was living in the US but have moved back to the UK. Here's how to do it, takes a lot of messing about but it's guaranteed.

Make sure you've got an Intel Mac, Install Parallels or VMWare & install Windows.

Buy HideIP NG from http://www.hide-ip-soft.com/

You can set it to US or UK, i tested it in the US for UK and vice versa and works a treat

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
I was living in the US but have moved back to the UK. Here's how to do it, takes a lot of messing about but it's guaranteed.

Make sure you've got an Intel Mac, Install Parallels or VMWare & install Windows.

Buy HideIP NG from http://www.hide-ip-soft.com/

You can set it to US or UK, i tested it in the US for UK and vice versa and works a treat

Save your money and don't waste your time. All those services do is make you look like you are guilty of something.

t11chb

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
Hassle

Don't pay for anything. Find a good, free proxy server, preferably overseas, in a country that hates your own. Less chance of getting extradited.

Yeah and how much hassle is that. It's an option which works and is well worth any money paid, don't know where extradition comes into it. lol

t11chb

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
That's my over-the-top post for the day.

The link you posted is Windows only software (at least, they say that in the FAQ question of their site.)

http://www.xroxy.com has hundreds of free proxy servers listed.

Yeah it is only windows software, thats why i say use a VM, but it's definitely the fastest and easier way to do it and it's guaranteed.

wpautz

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
Vancouver
Solution

Guys, dudettes, primates and E.T.s, the solution is so easy. Hotspot Shield, and it's free. Just activate the shield before going onto Pandora or Hulu or whatever.

dry201

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
I have not laughed aloud for a while, well maybe!

Guys, dudettes, primates and E.T.s, the solution is so easy. Hotspot Shield, and it's free. Just activate the shield before going onto Pandora or Hulu or whatever.

:apple: Pandora is one of the best, too much pissing about with Last. Apple OSX gives you plenty of chances to run with a proxy in system/terminal. Just add your proxy

josejones

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
Tor does seem to work. And easy.

I just downloaded, installed, restarted and all is good. Straight into listening to Test match cricket on the BBC!

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Tor does seem to work. And easy.

I just downloaded, installed, restarted and all is good. Straight into listening to Test match cricket on the BBC!

Please don't use Tor for stuff like that... you're using up bandwidth that could be used by people in places like China to help evade censorship, oppression, and violence at the hand of a government that despises the free exchange of information.

I guess when you put it in that context, it kinda makes using Tor to watch a sports broadcast seem a little selfish to me...

But do as you please.

zombilly

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
Please don't use Tor for stuff like that... you're using up bandwidth that could be used by people in places like China to help evade censorship, oppression, and violence at the hand of a government that despises the free exchange of information.

I guess when you put it in that context, it kinda makes using Tor to watch a sports broadcast seem a little selfish to me...

But do as you please.

Lame.
Use Tor for doing anything that you want, run twelve different tv shows at once if you want. If Tor was meant for only certain countries they would have stated that, but the fact is they say as for americans, we should have anonymity because our country was founded on it. That doesn't sound like exclusion of countries who believe in "the free exchange of information" to me.

There are so many people on here that play the part of do-gooders, you're not fooling anyone, so stop fooling yourselves. Your not the internet nazis.

Now, from Tor's own mouth:
The Tor project is based on the belief that anonymity is not just a good idea some of the time - it is a requirement for a free and functioning society.

Did you read that? Using Tor or a program like it so that everyone can have anonymity all the time s a requirement for a free and functioning society.

So if you're not Anonymous you are not as free or as functional as you could be.
So use Tooooorrrr!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.