Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wvtbred

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
I bought my iMac a few months ago and still can't get to watch what I need to for my business. I breed and own Thoroughbred Race Horses and need to be able to watch races on the web. The people in the store said sure no problem but I still cannot. I have downloaded Flip4Mac which seems to have failed miserably plus Real Player, Quicktime etc.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Can someone do me a favor and tell me if they can watch this video?

http://www.equibase.com/premium/video/derby2007.cfm

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Have you downloaded Perian, it's a bunch of codecs for quicktime, plays most things, any other problems i get i use VLC player ;)

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
All I got was a page saying I needed realplayer. I have it installed but no luck.

I looked again and it says you need a subscription. Have you already paid for one? You won't get anywhere without subscribing.

Strom1

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
NY
All I got was a page saying I needed realplayer. I have it installed but no luck.

I looked again and it says you need a subscription. Have you already paid for one? You won't get anywhere without subscribing.

Why would he need to subscribe?I'm seeing it fine on my PC just clicked and it came up immediately,i will try on my Mac tonight and i'll let you know.

wvtbred

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
It does work on a pc and it's free to watch certain replays. I will subscribe but not until I can get it to work on the Mac. You would think there is a way to get around this. If not I will have to sell my iMac and go back to pc:(

Thanks for all of the help and please keep trying.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
… If not I will have to sell my iMac and go back to pc:(

just because you cant watch Horse Racing replays?

install RealPLayer but dont download the one that your link suggests. this is the windows version. go here to download the Mac OS X version. you should be able to view it then.

RealPlayer is an old format that isnt used much anymore. its now all about Flash, QuickTime and WMV.

wvtbred

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
just because you cant watch Horse Racing replays?

install RealPLayer but dont download the one that your link suggests. this is the windows version. go here to download the Mac OS X version. you should be able to view it then.

RealPlayer is an old format that isnt used much anymore. its now all about Flash, QuickTime and WMV.

Absolutely, it's a business and if I cannot conduct my business the tool I am using has to go. Not to mention the Apple people in the store was that it would absolutely work.

The link you gave me only drops a blank document on my desktop not the updated version. Every time I try to get rid of the old Real Player it says it is open but I have nothing open.

mattmarri

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2008
horse racing

hi

i had the same problem and have relocated to norway with a new mac .

So frustrated as i cant watch the racing at all now...

I contacted the racing post where the videos are and they said there arent enough mac users for it to make it worthwhile for them to modify the system so mac users can watch,...........

there must be many many mac users?!

i tried downloading various programmes none work
i even tried using mozilla firfox instead of safari

the only other thing we can do is purchase the windows sofware and install it on the mac

this is possible to do as i checked with the store

have yu tried this?
or found out how to watch another way yet?

i have had 3 faulty macs replaced in only 10 months
overall not a great experience
my latest model is the brand new generation lap top so hopefully its third time lucky

although i still cant watch the racing from kempton on boxing day :(

wvtbred

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
hi

i had the same problem and have relocated to norway with a new mac .

So frustrated as i cant watch the racing at all now...

I contacted the racing post where the videos are and they said there arent enough mac users for it to make it worthwhile for them to modify the system so mac users can watch,...........

there must be many many mac users?!

i tried downloading various programmes none work
i even tried using mozilla firfox instead of safari

the only other thing we can do is purchase the windows sofware and install it on the mac

this is possible to do as i checked with the store

have yu tried this?
or found out how to watch another way yet?

i have had 3 faulty macs replaced in only 10 months
overall not a great experience
my latest model is the brand new generation lap top so hopefully its third time lucky

although i still cant watch the racing from kempton on boxing day :(

Sorry I haven't replied sooner.

I ended up getting an account with one of the online betting services so I could watch and it works fine that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.