Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnrachid

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2008
humm...

i guess we share the same problem. when playing to my games, its like the ps3 controler presses start and on the screen its written connect a controller. then i charge it, but the lights blink and don't give a s..., the second pad is unable to connect neither and blinks like a whole minute. then i eject the game and wait for a charge via usb cable(even if it was not a low-charge problem to me) and after a while i shut the syst off manually. after an hour or more, the ps3 recognizes the controller but only after i powered on manually! i couldn't use the ps buton to switch on i mean. strange problem, it's the 3d time in a month it happens to me...

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I also have this problem. PS3 is about a week old. At first I was assuming I hadn't charged the controllers for long enough.

Now, not only do I find a charge last about and hour or two but I also get the flashing lights issue which requires the console to be powered off, and then switch back on using the PS button on the controller.

Either that or stay connected via USB..

Basically it sucks..

If it's a low battery in the controller then you will have just one blinking light (the light corresponding to the control number, so if you're using control 1 and the battery is low, the first light only will blink).

CoastDude

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
Sony sent me a replacement PS3 and did not attempt to repair the one I sent in. I am very satisfied with their customer service and I’m happy to report that this problem no longer exists with the replacement.

popa

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
My $5 Solution

I solved my problem, and I hasten to add this might not apply to everyone, but it turned out to be a psychological problem in my case.

The problem was I was very hesitant to let the controller charge for long periods of time because the hard disk had to be on the whole time. I suspect a lot of other people are loath to do that also.

So, to test this idea, I let the PS3 charge the controller for an entire day. That solved my problem.

The real solution, at least for me, is to buy a $5 dollar controller charger.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Ahhh! I have this same problem. Turn on controller. 4 lights are blinking, will not connect to PS3. Even plugging the controller in via USB does not work. I tried the reset on the back numerous times, no real luck. Any suggestions?

popa

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
I see you have a Mac. Plug the controller into the Mac USB port for awhile. That will charge up your controller and solve your problem. You need a charging cable, but you probably already have one. If not, they're easy to get.
:)

johnnyringo

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
Sony sent me a replacement PS3 and did not attempt to repair the one I sent in. I am very satisfied with their customer service and I’m happy to report that this problem no longer exists with the replacement.

CoastDude, not trying to sound lazy or ignorant, but I'm having the exact same problems and cannot find contact info on the ps3 site.

Also, approx. how long did it take before you had a system back in hand? I have a 40gb model and wonder how they would replace one that is no longer in production.

allenaustin

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
Not exactly! The controller's leds blink and they don't stop unless I shut down the console and turn it again on....

well i was on playstation home and they just shut off..and i am glad i read this because they wouldnt come back on no matter how many times i reset the controller..but thank you so much but i dont know how long it wouldve took for me to figure it out without this website.:)

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
CoastDude, not trying to sound lazy or ignorant, but I'm having the exact same problems and cannot find contact info on the ps3 site.

Also, approx. how long did it take before you had a system back in hand? I have a 40gb model and wonder how they would replace one that is no longer in production.

Finding the info takes no time since its VERY EASY to navigate to support from the main page (It's also in your user manual), I'll agree with you about being LAZY. They will give you a refurb 40GB or whatever its equivalent is.

Anyhow, online service request.

https://service1.us.playstation.com...EE357A3_k31447AB1-EE02-FD8A-5AC8-37C2D2C910E5

Or by phone
Phone Service Request
Before submitting a service request, always first R.E.P.A.I.R. and check the PlayStation Knowledge Center for answers to the most frequently asked questions about PlayStation® products. If your issue is still not resolved, your system may need to be sent in for service.
If you need service for a:

PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system (30000-50000 series)

PS one™ game console

PlayStation®

Contact Consumer Services
1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Monday - Saturday 6:00 AM - 8:00 PM Pacific Time
Sunday 7:00 AM - 6:30 PM Pacific Time
Or send an email to Consumer Services

Phone support link...
https://service1.us.playstation.com...EE357A3_k05DC469E-FE88-7C33-A69B-C1CA77854F60

All found from here

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

Which you can easily get to from here

http://www.us.playstation.com/support/ps3

Which you can get to by clicking the very noticeable "SUPPORT" button on this page
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3

:rolleyes:

CoastDude

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008

It took a week from the time I sent my PS3 in to get a replacement back. They will first send you a box to package your PS3 in and it's prepaid to send back to them. Just remember to save any games, music, photos etc...I used a USB 2gb flash drive for that. Also anything you bought from the PS store will have to be downloaded again...obviously at no charge. Your other question was answered already so good luck...I'm just happy to have this problem gone and enjoying my PS3 again.

joseph2me

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
my warranty ended about a week ago, would this fall under a hardware malfunction and would they replace it free of charge it would it cost me 150 bucks?

johnnyringo

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
Finding the info takes no time since its VERY EASY to navigate to support from the main page (It's also in your user manual), I'll agree with you about being LAZY. They will give you a refurb 40GB or whatever its equivalent is.

Anyhow, online service request.

https://service1.us.playstation.com...EE357A3_k31447AB1-EE02-FD8A-5AC8-37C2D2C910E5

Or by phone

Phone support link...
https://service1.us.playstation.com...EE357A3_k05DC469E-FE88-7C33-A69B-C1CA77854F60

All found from here

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

Which you can easily get to from here

http://www.us.playstation.com/support/ps3

Which you can get to by clicking the very noticeable "SUPPORT" button on this page
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. But I do have to say the ridiculous shot taking wasn't necessary.

popa

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Condition Your Controller!

Uh, guys, I said this in an earlier post, but it probably bears repeating: Nickel metal hydride and nickel cadmium batteries require conditioning. I had the same problem until I charged the controllers for an entire day. That solved the problem.

joseph2me

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
personally my problem doesnt have anything to do with the battery because one, once it disconnects my controller, i try turning on my second controller and it wont connect either 2 when i try plugging either one into the USB port (both are charged) nothing happens, no flashing lights or anything, but when i plug it them into my computer they start up again, they just wont connect to the ps3. and I dont have 150 bucks for a refurbed one

kmckinn3

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2009
Just wanted to post this because I had the same problem controller problem and was able to fix it using someones advice on this post.

I've had a 40 gb PS3 for about 10 months and the problem just started today. Syncing the controllers and resetting them were not working so I kept reading.

The method that did work said to reassign your controller to 2 then 3,4,5,6,7 then 1 again. Turn off the PS3 using the xmb and then turn off the switch in the back. He then said to wait a couple hours but I waited a couple seconds. Flipped the switch then pressed the power button, right when it said Press the PS button I plugged it in, hit the PS button, then unplugged it.

Now it's working fine. Thanks.

Also, my 1 year warranty is almost up, think I should send it in or what's the best thing to do? I know they don't make the 40 gb anymore so I don't know what they'd do.

MrBlakz

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2009
PS3 Contoller Blinking Light Solution!!!

Hi Guys!!

Just want to let you all to know i found the cause, effect and solution to the D/C bluetooth controllers!!
It all started for me about 6 months ago when i bought a new Wireless Router/Modem. I was getting about a good hour and a half gameplay at best from my Controller before it decided to d/c and blink like mad! So of course i thought like most of you "It's the Battery" so after charging the hell out of it for more than a day it wasn't making any difference so i ignored my PS3 for a while and got back onto the Xbox360.
About 6 weeks ago i moved everything around in my Games room (The TV to the opposite side of the room along with the PS3 etc.) and i only just got back on the PS3 again to get only 30 to 40 minutes out of my Controller before it D/C!! AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!! :mad: So thats when i turned to this forum and tried EVERYONES solution until only few of you got it right!
This week i have had to Pack all the house contents as we are moving to a new house so while i cleaned my games room i figured why not move the PS3 to another room further down the house. I plugged it into my master bedroom TV and have got so far 3 HOURS AND STILL NO D/C!!!! Thats when i figured it all out!
The room my PS3 was originally in was only not even half a meter away from the Wireless modem router BUT the only thing was there was a wall between both rooms that divided both the Modem/Router & PS3 YET the wireless was STILL interfering with the bluetooth connectivity! Since i've moved it the PS3 is receiving 65% Signal strength, plays VERY well online, doesn't D/C the Controller and I dont have to ring SONY and go nuts!!!

Hope this post helps guys, all in all give it ago! REMEMBER: Set up the system further away from the Modem/Router and see how you go!

Cheerz!

Saphyre

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
I have had pretty much the same problem as the rest of you.
It is really really nnoying to play the rockband 2 endless setlist to only get the 4 lights of doom. So far the only thing that works is shutting off the ps3 :(

I tried the rest method listed here, it just shuts off the controller, when you turn it back on you get the 4 lights of doom again.

I formatted last night and while re downloading my downloadable ps3 cotent it has done the same thing.

plugging in the usb cord to the controller does nothing.

I have a charging station so I know my controllers are fully charged.
I have 4 controllers + 2 guitars + wireless drums and any one of them can cause the problem even if they are the only thing plugged in, so it has nothing to do with the controllers themselves.

I am using the 80 gig model (I really doubt I can return it, I got a reconditioned one through craigslist for cheap about 10 months ago)

I do however have several wireless devices nearby. wireless keyboard/mouse, wireless phone, wireless router, computer with wireless technology (though I have turned it off).

unfortunately I can't really move my router it is the only place to plug it in AND 2 wired computers and my voip (phone) is connected to it. I don't really want to shut off the wireless off of my router because I need it for the laptop upstairs, otherwise I would try just wiring the ps3 to the router....

I would estimate the router is about 8 feet away from the ps3.
I had ALL of these before the problem started (about november) The computer with built in wireless I only had a few weeks before the problem though.

I cannot think of anything else to possibly fix it except buying a new ps3.. which is something I don't really want to do.

also, I forgot to mention I did not back up the ps3 before format because I did not want to chance backing up any corrupt data. also.. it wanted to back up 27 gigs or nothing o.o

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
My guess is the battery is low or dead, plug them in (USB) to the PS3 and just leave the PS3 on for a while with them plugged in and I think they charge in like 1-2 hours?

alp360

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
Thank god I'm not the only one, I thought it was only me suffering 4rlod!!

I can re-confirm it definitely has nothing to do with the charge, full or low it still happens to me every half an hour or so (to the danger of anything within throwing distance of a controller).

Will try backing up my data and formatting the HD and see if that works, worried about losing all my trophies and saved games but I'll see how it goes.

Cheers for the help, I'll post back how I got on :eek:

187sixAxis

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2009
problems problems and more problems

Ive just bought my second six axis controller and they both have the same problems they both would work for a certain amount of time and then just freeze with out the red light turning off Ive tried syncing them and resetting the controllers but that wouldn't work either its been freezing in the middle of a game, online, and even the main screen i am pretty sure its not the battery cause i just bought the second one a couple days ago so i don't know what the problem could be...i wouldn't want to spend any more money on another controller so can someone help me?

popa

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Controller Battery

What you are describing is simply the way the PS3 works. Blinking lights mean you need to charge the controller. The controllers can be charged by plugging the controller into the USB slot on the PS3 or a USB slot on a Mac. When the controller is fully charged, the blinking will stop to be replaced by a steady light.

I have to charge my PS3 controller fairly frequently (once or twice a week) and it takes a very long time to charge. I typically let it charge overnight.

In my humble opinion this problem is actually a design flaw. I have an after market (logtech) wireless controller for the PS2 which runs on batteries and although I've used it for years, I have never had to replace the batteries.

The Sony designer probably thought this design was a "feature" since you don't have to replace a battery. My guess is that the controller internal circuit was made with cheap parts as a cost-cutting exercise and nobody ever went back and made sure the design actually supported the change.

Another problem with this design is the controller light will start blinking (and a message will appear) when the charge is almost gone, which usually means you'd better stop the game you're playing and come back to it the next day. Thus, what Sony probably thought was a feature has turned into a big pain in the behind.

popa

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Pressing PS

I doubt that pressing the PS button will charge your controller if that's what you mean. You may be resetting the blinking effect, however, giving you a (temporary) appearance of charging the controller. It's probably safest to not use the PS button in that way to avoid the possibility of having a dead controller in the middle of a game.

homerdog

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2004
England
What you are describing is simply the way the PS3 works. Blinking lights mean you need to charge the controller.

Can you stop repeating the same thing!

I have the same problem with my BD Remote Control and wireless guitars, so it clearly has nothing to do with charging the batteries.

As nobody seems to have a fix for this it must be a hardware or software problem with the PS3 itself. No doubt Sony are fully aware of the problem, it would be nice if they would admit as much... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.