Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamlangsner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
Are there any tutorials on cramming perhaps the innards of a core duo or core 2 duo macbook into a 12" powerbook. I'd be willing to sacrifice my optical drive if it's a tight fit.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If you really had the sickening urge, you'd probably want to start with the innards of a netbook that can run OS X -- one of the smaller ones -- or some other intended-for-Windows notebook that's smaller than any of the current Macs.

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
Someone I know got an iBook 14' with an Intel processor. A guy did it for her, and he have done many more she said.

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
Someone I know got an iBook 14' with an Intel processor. A guy did it for her, and he have done many more she said.

You must be mistaking that fourteen inch iBook for a thirteen point three inch macbook, or some other type of laptop. It is physically impossible to put an Intel chip in a motherboard/ logic board intended for a Power PC processor.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
Honestly, if you can vastly modify an old PB go for it. If your that skilled then i hope your cashing in on your ability to do difficult things such as that lol

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
If you really had the sickening urge, you'd probably want to start with the innards of a netbook that can run OS X -- one of the smaller ones -- or some other intended-for-Windows notebook that's smaller than any of the current Macs.

I think it was Engadget that did a comparison to a 1.6ghz Atom netbook with a hacked Mac OS X to a iBook G4 and the iBook beat it in almost every test.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
Are there any tutorials on cramming perhaps the innards of a core duo or core 2 duo macbook into a 12" powerbook. I'd be willing to sacrifice my optical drive if it's a tight fit.

Ask Intel to make a custom motherboard for your 12" PowerBook G4.

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
The biggest issue you would have is the logic boards screw holes not matching any of the mounting brackets in the case. If you have ever looked at the logic board of any Apple machine, it is designed to fit around other hardware (such as trackpad, optical drive, battery and many other components. And another issue is the LCD connection... I have no idea if it has been changed since the 12" PB heyday, but I can't imagine it's the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.