Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2003
UK
The pound is strong. Does this mean Mac prices will drop in the UK, or do I have to go shopping in America?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Strong pound implications?

Originally posted by jacg
The pound is strong. Does this mean Mac prices will drop in the UK, or do I have to go shopping in America?

In theory they should drop... whether they will or not is another question, but even if they do, they won't get close to approaching U.S. prices.

Remember if you shop in America you have a £145 limit before you start paying import duty and VAT... now on a iPod/Laptop you really won't have any probs, as you'll be able to smuggle that back.. if you intend to buy a G5 then it all get's a little more risky, you fly out and buy, and then say the customs hit you with import duty and VAT that'll bring it up quite nicely with the UK price or there abouts...

If you fly out, buy it and then post it back, then something that big, will likely attract the attention of customs and then they'll bill you...

I still think the $ has alot of falling to do against our pound... $2 - £1 in the next month??

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Re: Re: Strong pound implications?

Originally posted by iGAV
I still think the $ has alot of falling to do against our pound... $2 - £1 in the next month??
It's nearly there - currently a US$ is worth 52.3p... (last week it was 52.8 and a week or two before it was 54p).

I'm planning to get an Apple wireless bluetooth mouse if nothing else when I go out to America in May - I'll be able to visit the Grove LA store too (first Apple store!). I always thought £55 was ridiculous to pay for a mouse, particulalry when I already have one and it only has one button! For £40 ($69/2 + a bit of US tax), it might sway me, even though that is still hefty!

I'm just worrying I might come back with an iPod mini!

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
The 'experts' in the news today have been saying $2 to the pound soon, and that they won't be surprised if it stayed like that for a couple of years.

I have no evidence to base this on, but I doubt that Apple will reduce and of the UK prices - it sells currently, they would be giving money away. I realise they would probably sell more - I for one would love to see reductions - but I don't think it will happen.

If the currency stays as is, when Apple launch a G5 PB I will fly out with my wife, have a long weekend in a nice 4 star hotel (£650 ish including insurance, flights, hotel etc), buy a PowerBook, have a great weekend, and only have spent a small amount more than I would have done buying the Apple in the UK.

As long as the PB isnt boxed and giftwrapped, it shouldn't draw too much attention - I will let you know!

Marc

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
Re: Re: Re: Strong pound implications?

Originally posted by johnnyjibbs

I might ask you to get me an iPod mini! :D

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Strong pound implications?

It's nearly there - currently a US$ is worth 52.3p... (last week it was 52.8 and a week or two before it was 54p).

I'm planning to get an Apple wireless bluetooth mouse if nothing else when I go out to America in May - I'll be able to visit the Grove LA store too (first Apple store!). I always thought £55 was ridiculous to pay for a mouse, particulalry when I already have one and it only has one button! For £40 ($69/2 + a bit of US tax), it might sway me, even though that is still hefty!

Drop $$ and get a Wacom, they come with a 3 button mouse, and a tablet is XXXXXXXXXXXXX times better than any mouse on the market.... ;)

It's quite bizarre actually, for as long as I can remember it's always been around 1.4-1.5 $ to the £, but the dollar is in free fall.... and I expect it to go crashing through the floor, it won't stop at $2 that's for sure, it's just a case of how quick we'll nail it...

I'm still waiting for something nasty to occur in our economy though... something has to give, people are in too much debt, house prices are continuing to rise at a seriously silly rate, and salaries aren't increasing enough... consuming spending will experience retardation similar to that of hitting a wall when interests keep going up...

That said, I'm praying for a housing crash... I have no sympathy for those who lied on their mortgage applications about what they earned and borrowed at 4x,5x+ their salaries... sad suckers. I look forward to picking up a nice loft appartment real cheap... :eek: :p :p

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by marccarter
As long as the PB isnt boxed and giftwrapped, it shouldn't draw too much attention - I will let you know!

Marc

pack clothes in the PowerBook box, pack the PowerBook box in the suitcase, carry the laptop on the plane (in a laptop bag of course) watch some movies on the flight back, and walk through customs... easy... ;)

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
I agree we need a house price down turn. I don't earn badly, but as I dont own a house, to get what I need for the family - 4 beds really - I need to pay nearly 250k for something nice in the south east! Crazy

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by marccarter
I agree we need a house price down turn. I don't earn badly, but as I dont own a house, to get what I need for the family - 4 beds really - I need to pay nearly 250k for something nice in the south east! Crazy

something has to give, otherwise we'll be seeing 6x,7x,8x+ salary mortgages and ultimately people will never end up actually owning their house within their lifetime.

I was only speaking the other night with my mum about it, and she recalls paying just over £3k for a 3 bedroom house in '72... yet my parents combined salary at that time was about 8k a year... it's so very different now isn't it. :rolleyes:

Not long before the first London MR posse' meet up last September, I was looking at renting in Covent Garden, and I was looking at paying £450 a week to rent... yet no one would give me a mortgage at half that figure, but I can rent with no worries... :rolleyes: crazy...

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Re: Re: Re: Re: Strong pound implications?

Drop $$ and get a Wacom, they come with a 3 button mouse, and a tablet is XXXXXXXXXXXXX times better than any mouse on the market.... ;)
Already have one. Only a graphire2, mind, but the mouse is great and the pen is good enough for all I'll ever do. Got a good deal on it and it came with Photoshop Elements 2. But it's not that portable... I like the idea of shoving a Bluetooth mouse in my bag and just taking it out to use while my PowerBook is out and about.

As for the dollar downfall, well, looks like there are some benefits to Bush being in power after all ;) :D :p

mmmbop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
London
pack clothes in the PowerBook box, pack the PowerBook box in the suitcase, carry the laptop on the plane (in a laptop bag of course) watch some movies on the flight back, and walk through customs... easy... ;)

Just when are those G5 PowerBooks out?????

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Actually, I wouldn't mind an iSight. They're only $150 there (which is still £75-80) but that's still a large saving.

Do you reckon they'll accept my UK student ID in US Apple Stores?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Do you reckon they'll accept my UK student ID in US Apple Stores?

nope... :p but why not just order from the U.S. online AppleStore Edu when you're there... pay by bank transfer and get it delivered to your Motel... :D wicked! ;)

get you on the BT mouse as well... ;) didn't think of that! ;)

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
pound up...dollar down..

as an English expatriate I feel your pain...seems rather obvious, but what are the rules on 'gifts' sent from a 3rd party...I have sent gifts to my family in London, never thought much about it (granted it was never a G5 desktop)...do you know anyone on this side of the pond?...I am personally very unhappy about the state of the dollar, as it is making my planned trip back to the UK (and the continent) a very expensive endeavor...although i do enjoy the rare instance I get money in the mail from home...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.