Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I took notes on my computer for my classes and annotated on the side. When I print it just prints as the actual slides I am annotating from with no annotations. How do I print with the annotations as well?

I have this and want it to print out like this:
Picture1-5.jpg

but it will only print this:
Picture2-3.jpg

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Have you annotated a PDF document?

If not, you could try to export the annotated document as a PDF, and print that one, maybe even with Adobe PDF Reader or what's it called.

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I downloaded the Adobe reader. I haven't tried printing yet but it has moved the annotations onto the actual slides which looks promising. The only problem now is that the annotation boxes don't show all of the text. They are like separate windows that you have to scroll down in to see all the notes. I can't figure out hot to maximize/stretch them to fit all the notes into the window. Any idea?

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
So i was wrong about it looking promissing since the annotations moved onto the slides themselves, I tried to print even though I didn't get the above figured out and it doensn't print the notes still. Someone help... :(

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Okay, first, what program were you using to take notes? You can't take notes using Preview. What note taking software were you using? Second get rid of Adobe Reader, it interacts in a negative way on your Mac since Mac OS X is already PDF based, you will have problems with Safari and PDF's if Adobe is installed. Preview and Adobe Reader do nearly all of the same things but Preview offers more.
Please post back, maybe I can help.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Okay, first, what program were you using to take notes? You can't take notes using Preview. What note taking software were you using? Second get rid of Adobe Reader, it interacts in a negative way on your Mac since Mac OS X is already PDF based, you will have problems with Safari and PDF's if Adobe is installed. Preview and Adobe Reader do nearly all of the same things but Preview offers more.
Please post back, maybe I can help.

He was using preview to annotate already made .pdf files.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Yes, you most certainly can take notes in Preview; I do it all the time. The problem would be when your annotations are going beyond the printable range of the document. Sure, you can view it and scroll up/down to read/view the entire typed annotations, but printing might be an issue, since I believe it's operating on a "print screen" mode. I could be wrong, but that's been my short work history with your problem....

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
^^ That is exactly my problem. The notes/annotations won't go onto the actual pages/slides (pdf) They are beside them in a separate column in preview. When I print those annotations are oustide the print area and therefore do not print. The adobe reader has moved the annotation onto the actual slides, not into a coulmn next to them, but they won't print out and also won't show all the notes without scrolling through the annotation "window/box"

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
The reason they won't print onto the .pdf is because that would be considered editing the .pdf, which neither of the programs can do, in that manner. You'd need a .pdf editor, like Adobe Acrobat (the full edition) or something along those lines.

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
there is no possible way to get them to print beside the slides or anything, or even separately? That just seems kind of pointless to me.

ecume

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2003
convert annotations to permanent parts of the PDF

Hit print, then at the print dialog, find the special PDF menu at the bottom left of the window. Select 'save as PDF'. This will save a new PDF file with the annotations "baked in" which will then print on any computer with any PDF reader.

murrayE

macrumors member
May 4, 2011
Cannot save as PDF from Preview Print if include Notes

Hit print, then at the print dialog, find the special PDF menu at the bottom left of the window. Select 'save as PDF'. This will save a new PDF file with the annotations "baked in" which will then print on any computer with any PDF reader.

Preview 7.0 under OS X 10.9.5 keeps crashing when I try to print a PDF and choose to "Show Notes" when I print.

I tried the suggested workaround to save as PDF. But if I do that with the same choice of "Show Notes", then Preview crashes while saving the file as PDF.

Help!

Note: The Notes kind of Annotations I inserted in Preview don't show at all when I try to print from Acrobat, even when in Acrobat I specify Document and Comments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.