Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphone Junkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Hey guys I am in the market for a new mac laptop and I came across this morning. Heres the link the computer I am talking about is at the bottom. This guys brother is the ceo of a major photo editing company or something to that effect and he hooks his little brother up when they upgrade to the newer macs. Basically I am curious to what you guys think? Is this is a good deal? I think I have him down to $600 on it and he said he will preload any of the software mentioned in the ad let me know what you guys think, And I really really appreciate any advice.

PS: This is my first mac purchase other than ipod/iphone so am I jumping the gun due to excitement? Thanks a lot again.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/sys/1045198590.html

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Rip off, thats well overpriced, and maybe even a scam.
Get a refurbished Apple 2008 Macbook directly from Apple for the same price or slightly more.

All that software on its own will cost more than $600 so clearly he's going to give you fake software, thats why its "preinstalled", you'll never even see the original disks.

rukus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2009
id say the computer is legit, but chances are the programs preloaded are all pirated.

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
you will kick yourself for buyin a powerpc, they are dead and gone and the next OS wont support them, save up and buy a intel mac

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
If you're not going to be doing anything too mind-blowing on it, I think that's a great first Mac.

Iphone Junkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Even if the software is pirated and this is my first MAC what would be the downsides to it? I honestly only use a computer to chat online and surf the web that is the extent of it I dont use any crazy photo editing programs or anything like that.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Even if the software is pirated and this is my first MAC what would be the downsides to it? I honestly only use a computer to chat online and surf the web that is the extent of it I dont use any crazy photo editing programs or anything like that.

If its pirated when you reinstall Mac OS X when something goes wrong (not if, but when) then you'll loose it all, plus its illegal.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
I'd suggest getting either a refurb Macbook or looking at a used Macbook. That would be a much better investment than a Powerbook and would likely be in your price range. Currently the refurb Apple Store doesn't have any older Macbooks, but it's updated fairly frequently so there should be some older Macbooks in it fairly soon.

Iphone Junkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks a lot guys for all of the information:):) Is it possible that all of the software that is loaded on there can be loaded onto a disc or an external hard drive?

Iphone Junkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
kastenburst, I have a question if this is a legit posting and I do buy this I was told that there may be some websites that may not load etc what type of problems could I incur with this machine? Also, I am just using this for email purposes and surfing the web.

Thanks again for all of your guys help!:cool:

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
kastenburst, I have a question if this is a legit posting and I do buy this I was told that there may be some websites that may not load etc what type of problems could I incur with this machine? Also, I am just using this for email purposes and surfing the web.

Thanks again for all of your guys help!:cool:

What?!? There may be some websites that may not load?!?! Thats complete rubbish, its going to surf the web fine, and for office work it will be ok too. You may have problems installing programs in the future because it doesnt have an intel processor, and added to that it wont run games made in the last 5 years well at all, but if you just want to surf the web, email, office work etc then its going to be great.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
Regardless $550 is definitely on the high side for that Powerbook. I would seriously look into a different machine as while it will do what you want perfectly fine, it won't last that long doing so, plus an Intel machine is a much better investment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.