Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vivalanation734

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Here is the problem...

sometimes when my iPhone is locked and in my pocket (wifi off) it heats up to the point that it is warm/hot to the touch and the battery drains as though it is doing something...

Also under settings > usage it shows that it has 4 hours of use when i have only used it for 20 minutes, which leads me to believe that it is running a process while locked in my pocket...

This has happened twice.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

EDIT: also... when syncing my iPhone in iTunes... I can't sync calendars, contacts, mail or anything... and i cant check anything either....

vivalanation734

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
i think i found a solution in another thread...

"Alright.. If you have everything open like Safari, Ipod, Youtube, stocks etc.... it will over heat b /c u are running all the porgrma in the background when u press home it does NOT clear or close apps. if you watn to close apps. HOLD the HOME button for bout 8-10secs when ur in the App program it will force quit. You will save battery and will also keep it cool!!"

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
i think i found a solution in another thread...

"Alright.. If you have everything open like Safari, Ipod, Youtube, stocks etc.... it will over heat b /c u are running all the porgrma in the background when u press home it does NOT clear or close apps. if you watn to close apps. HOLD the HOME button for bout 8-10secs when ur in the App program it will force quit. You will save battery and will also keep it cool!!"

No offense to the person who posted that, but I'm not buying it. I've had great battery life and NEVER go through that routine, and I also don't have heat issues.

Most likely culprit of your heat problem is WiFi and auto-connect for WiFi. Turn both off. It will improve your battery life A LOT and it won't run hot... or it shouldn't.

naveen.pidikiti

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
Same Problem Here...

I have just upgraded to 2.2 firmware...and I am facing this problem since upgrade....the battery drain is too much requiring me to recharge 2 to 3 times a day....

I believe it is because of the extra heat that the battery is getting drained....
I have tried disabling all the features including WIFI still the problem exists...

Today the problem worsened the batterry is getting drained even while charging so I am forced to turn off let it cool down and restart after a while...

DPA

macrumors 65816
As Ppc750fx asked, are you jailbroken and if so what apps do you have on? Apps like Winterboard will drain battery because they are always running in the background. Some other apps will also drain battery life. If you have an intense theme that is even animated that will dramatically reduce battery life.

If not, you battery could be going bad. Take it into an Apple Store and they can test it. If it does prove to be faulty or bad then they will replace it, as long as it's still under warranty. Make sure you try a Restore if you are jailbroken. Even if you are not jailbroken it won't hurt to try.

David

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
I was under the impression that apps can't run in the background.

That restriction is only imposed on applications published through the App Store.

WinterBoard isn't "running in the background" per se, but it does increase the resource consumption of the SpringBoard process (the process that handles your home screen icons, dock, etc.)

hapeit

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
iPhone Heating up and losing battery when not it use...

So on the 3GS is there any other solutions than just turning off the wifi to prevent heating and losing battery quickly?

golder

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
Still heating

I have had my 3Gs since january and absolutely love it. These last couple weeks I have reached into my pocket to find the Iphone quite hot, not dangerously so but definitely doing some serious processing. The battery has gone from 40% to zero in under an hour just sitting in my pocket. So I arrive here as I try to track down the cause. I have shut down the Phone to stop the processing and restarted it. It then remains cool and seems fine again for a while. The Apps added around the time this started were PrintCentral, DropBox,Evernote, TuneIn Radio. I do run Skype in the background quite a bit but I was already doing this before the heating issue surfaced. It is not jailbroken.

saenyc

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
exactly!

I have had my 3Gs since january and absolutely love it. These last couple weeks I have reached into my pocket to find the Iphone quite hot, not dangerously so but definitely doing some serious processing. The battery has gone from 40% to zero in under an hour just sitting in my pocket. So I arrive here as I try to track down the cause. I have shut down the Phone to stop the processing and restarted it. It then remains cool and seems fine again for a while. The Apps added around the time this started were PrintCentral, DropBox,Evernote, TuneIn Radio. I do run Skype in the background quite a bit but I was already doing this before the heating issue surfaced. It is not jailbroken.

Same exact problem... not every day, but seems to be every other day and doesn't really seem to matter what apps I've used... sometimes happens after I shutdown and restart.... irritating!

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement

Do you live in a place with low reception?

Do you have push email/other things enabled?

Is something using your GPS? Location services, etc?

Finally, the Radio may be downloading data even when it's in the background.

Apart from these, I don't know what else it could be.

westie

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
My G3S was heating up and the battery would drain within a few hours. I had been using this phone for 6 months and it started suddenly. I went to the Apple store and was told to quit my apps and upgrade to OS4.1 and that should fix the problem. It didn’t. I went back and told them I had restored to factory settings and removed all my apps and the problem still remained. Heating up and quick battery loss.

The Apple store was quick to replace my phone and suggested that I don’t restore the phone from my back-up but rather start as a new phone. This is what did, I didn’t install any apps and tried it out for a few days. But guess what, the problem is happening on my new phone.

I searched the web to find out if there was a virus on my computer that was transferring to my phone, but pretty much every source said there are no virus’ for the iPhone.

I’m now at a complete loss, my battery only lasts a couple of hours without using the phone, I’ve got location services turned off, roaming, and Wi-Fi as well. Nothing seems to help.

If it is because of hardware issues the chances of me getting two bummed phones is pretty remote. Could it be from my Mac at home? Is it transferring something to my iPhone that is causing the over heating and battery drain?

JimThiele

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2010
3gs Hot Battery Drain???

OK, I have been dealing with this for a few weeks and want to chime in.

I have a 3gs (1 1/2 years old 4.1 software). It had a quick water dunk a few months ago, but moisture indicators in the phone did not turn red and phone survived after a dry out. Worked without incident for a few months.
Then one day the phone was dead by lunchtime (4 hours or so not used in my pocket), so I charged it up. Now I noticed that the phone was heating up in my pocket and the battery drain was rapid. I tryed airplane mode, everything off, no pushes, turned off background programs, nothing resolved this battery drain issue. I researched the issue and decided to replace the battery. Another set of problems insued with a constant reboot of the phone every 3-4 minutes (with the new battery). Unable to resolve this issue I put the origanal battery back in the phone and restored it (the reboot issue was resolved). Again the discharge and heat up continued, but only for a couple days. It went back to normal by itself!?! Worked great for a few days, then failed for one day. Recharged and again is working fine?
Could the battery be pouched and I just by chance got a bad one (re-boot problem) or is there some other gremlin in my phone. It appears that a process is on in the background (use of memory app, intermittant spike of CPPU load @ 100%?) when the gremlin is present.

Any ideas?:D

jt

macattack48

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
Same problem here with Iphone 3gs

I am having the same problem.

Closing all apps with double tap etc didn't help.

Turning off wireless didn't help.

Cycling phone off and back on doesn't help.

Turning off push notifications and location services etc didn't help.

I don't have the answer, but would love to know what is wrong. My guess is the phone os software version 4.1 is bugged and goes into an infinite loop causing the processor to smoke the battery for some reason that doesn't affect everyone. Would love to hook up a debugger to get to the root of this as my phone is pretty useless at this point having to be charged multiple times per day.:mad:

naleksiev

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
If any of you guys is in the iOS dev program you can check which process/thread is busy with instruments.
I'm also not buying the fact that killing apps for fast launch will help. The apps are just hibernated.

seadrg

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
Same here with iPhone 4 w/ iOS 4.1

I am having the same problem.

Closing all apps with double tap etc didn't help.

Turning off wireless didn't help.

Cycling phone off and back on doesn't help.

Turning off push notifications and location services etc didn't help.

I don't have the answer, but would love to know what is wrong. My guess is the phone os software version 4.1 is bugged and goes into an infinite loop causing the processor to smoke the battery for some reason that doesn't affect everyone. Would love to hook up a debugger to get to the root of this as my phone is pretty useless at this point having to be charged multiple times per day.:mad:

I just upgraded to iphone 4 from 3g two days ago and noticed that it would sometimes get intensely hot. The areas that would get hot are the lower right hand side of the phone, especially the metal antenna part. I've had other cell phones and the 3g for about 15 years so I am used to warmness and a little hotness, but not like this! The temperature was such that I could fry a very small egg on the phone.:mad: I googled the problem and couldn't really find much to resolve this problem other than returning it.

I tried isolating the problem and I noticed that this would happen only when I am in my car. I work a lot so I'm either at home, in my car, or sitting in my office. It's November here in the metro DC area, so it's getting pretty cold (hit 37F last nite), so I can safely rule out external elements.

So "room" temperatures being pretty even in all 3 environments (car, home, office), I could only think of one thing that I didn't have in my car that I had at home or in the office: wifi. In my car I use google maps or Mapquest occasionally (with location services on) to check the traffic. Also I was using last.fm, which uses your 3G or wifi connection to stream music to your phone, much like pandora. It was when these apps were running, either in the background or in the "fore"ground(??) that the phone would get extremely hot.

I felt like I was onto something so I turned off wifi when I got home and used the 3G connection to access last.fm and check some e-mail. Sure enough the phone was cooking, very hot to the touch. I didn't want to kill the battery (heat is like kryptonite to li-ion), so I stopped my experiment before the phone got too hot and let it cool off, which it did almost immediately.

I turned wifi back on and performed the same tasks. The phone was cool to the touch. I tried using Air Video (stream videos from PC to iphone) and the phone stayed cool. I threw everything I had at the phone and it barely got warm.

So in my limited experience, I think the culprit must be the 3G circuitry. If this is a problem that can be fixed via software updates, great, but may be a hardware problem. Has anyone experienced the same?? Any thoughts?

Also, those who got replacement phones from Apple, have you had any heat related problems afterwards??

Bubbles39

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
I have been experiencing the overheating and battery dying problem for the last week on and off. I phoned apple and due to safety matter it is being replaced.

Sorry that is the only thing that I was told. Excellent customer service though!

JimThiele

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2010
3Gs Hot Battery Drain

As an update to my last thread, it is not a battery problem. I put in another new battery during battery drain and it changed to phone reboot again?
As I said, the condition is on and off again. Currently it is working fine. The CPU spiking is the only indicator of internal problem. I have turned off all modes and cleared all background programs and it still persists. I can turn off the phone and the battery will hold relivent charge all day until I turn it back on, so internal battery failure it is not.
Could this be an incompatable program within OS 4.1? everyone please chime in.
I like the last post, gave him a new phone. How does that work when your phone is 1 and 1/2 years old? :confused:

edwards

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
I have recently had a replacement Iphone 3GS 16gb from apple after the IOS 4 update caused a problem on my original iphone which meant the phone would reset during calls which from what I have read has been a very common problem. However, with the replacement phone I have had the heat and battery drain symptoms. It was Jailbroken when the problem started so I restored and as a new device which stopped the battery from draining but it did seem to get quite warm in my pocket. So with this and having tried most of the things suggested in earlier posts I rang up apple as im still in my manufacturers warranty. They guy said the problem sounded unusual but i should send it in, so i did and have been told by them that they could not reproduce the same symptoms and are sending me the same phone back. A bit frustrating as im sure that my original phone didnt get as warm as the replacement has started to (not jailbroken).
Wondering if anyone else has found the cause of this problem yet or has had any joy overcoming it?
Hope your having more luck than me.

JimThiele

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2010
The Gremlin ran away...

OK, now I don't want to jinks my phone, but magicly it has been fine for over a week (shhhh!). I was saying that my Sys Info App would always be showing a 100% load on and off (mostly on) when the symtom occurred. I went through a series of updates on some apps over a week ago and my phone has returned to normal (I hope).
Could this be a bad app (on 4.1os)? Hanging or requesting something in the background? I did close all the apps on the bar and turned off modes. Golly I'm confused.

edwards

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Hope it keeps good for you mate. Hopefully when i get mine back I will have the same fortune! :)

Planit

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2010
Eight people in my company started experiencing this 2 days ago and we cant figure it out. Phones are all dyingh in 2 hours

westie

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Eight people in my company started experiencing this 2 days ago and we cant figure it out. Phones are all dyingh in 2 hours

Trying to trouble shoot the issue (Apple has been no help and deny's anyone actually having this problem) I turned off my Exchange Server email I get through the office. The problem went away. It turns out the Exchange Server was hitting my iPhone constantly, causing the phone to work overtime and drain the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.