Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
On Windows I noticed there was an icon in the bottom right (next to the clock) that I could right click and then restart in Mac OS X. Is there a similar thing for OS X that I can just click in the menu bar and restart in Windows?

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
On Windows I noticed there was an icon in the bottom right (next to the clock) that I could right click and then restart in Mac OS X. Is there a similar thing for OS X that I can just click in the menu bar and restart in Windows?

I have the same question, any answers?

Zuplar

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
yeah i started using this option in windows, it would be handy if there was something we could add on to do that in OSX.

indiecraig

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
The following information is no longer relevant. See the next post for why. Original Post:

I have made a small application which can be placed into the dock. All it does is open the startup disk preference pane, from which you can choose windows and press restart, but it does save you a few clicks and saves you from having to hold alt at startup. If anyone wants it just email me at:

<address removed>

and I will send it to you.

indiecraig

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Tutorial for Restart In Windows menu bar item

I have made a tutorial for adding a "Restart In Windows" item to the menu bar. Once it's done, restarting in Windows should be just 2 clicks away. You can find it here

indiecraig

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
I had a look at QuickBoot a few months ago. It was good, but I didn't like having a space taken up in the dock just for booting into Windows. I prefer having it up in the menu bar so it mirrors the functionality of the Boot Camp task bar icon in Windows. It is easier to set up than my solution though.

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2003
Tell me about it. I wrote the app originally for myself and it doesn't even work anymore on my unibody MBP.

Hey Kainjow, is there any way around this you think? I remember reading that you were talking with an apple engineer to see if it's possible to get bootchamp to work on the new unibody macbooks and macbook pros. Any luck?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Hey Kainjow, is there any way around this you think? I remember reading that you were talking with an apple engineer to see if it's possible to get bootchamp to work on the new unibody macbooks and macbook pros. Any luck?

Haven't had any luck with it, although I haven't looked into it much since then. I just kind of gave up on it. If there's a new OS update or a firmware update, I'll definitely look into it again. The only possible workaround I know of would be to just change the app and make it set the startup disk to Windows permanently (instead of just for the next restart).

g1mpster

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2009
F*cking awesome appp, but dun f*cking work for UMBPs :(

Since this thread came up as the #2 hit on Google when I was searching for this, I figured it was worth an update. I've got a unibody MB (purchased new 2 months ago) and running 10.5.7 BootChamp works just fine. I don't know if it was working previously with 10.5.6 because I only just now found the app, but if you haven't been able to get BootChamp to work, I suggest installing 10.5.7 and trying it again.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Since this thread came up as the #2 hit on Google when I was searching for this, I figured it was worth an update. I've got a unibody MB (purchased new 2 months ago) and running 10.5.7 BootChamp works just fine. I don't know if it was working previously with 10.5.6 because I only just now found the app, but if you haven't been able to get BootChamp to work, I suggest installing 10.5.7 and trying it again.
G1mpster, I confirm your findings on my 2.66GHz uMBP running 10.5.7. BootChamp works perfectly.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
On my late 2008 unibody MBP Bootchamp tells me that it cannot find the Windows partition. Maybe it's because I'm using Paragon NTFS or maybe because I'm using more than 2 partitions!? No idea.

melmac79

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2009
10.5.7 -- no luck

I have a UMBP running 10.5.7 and no luck. Would really like to get this program running... rebooting every time I switch is a pain in the :apple:!!

cdolson77

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
Native as of 10.6.7

In Snow Leopard at the very least you can choose your startup disk from within the System menu.

Go to System Preferences > Startup Disk. Highlight Windows on BOOTCAMP (or something close to that naming) and click restart. That will make Windows your default boot volume.

For a less permanent way to do it, click the button that says 'Target Disk Mode..." and restart. You can then choose to boot into Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.