Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphone Junkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
So, I just got my PowerBook G4 1.5 loaded with tons of apps CS4 etc... My question to all of you guys out there is What do you prefer for a web browser? Mozilla Firefox or Safari?

Being that this is my first MAC I am just trying to get sensible input from some of you guys who all seem to be very knowledgeable so I appreciate any input. I have always used Firefox on my PC's and seem to like Safari so far but if it "aint" broke dont fix it type of deal for my new Powerbook :)

Thanks for the input fellas!

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
Because Powerbooks are so old and they still use PPC processors, i only use them to seed & leech torrent files 24h/7.

EB66

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I always used firefox or safari on my powerbook I don't really remember which though

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Both browsers are about the best you can use these days. Safari's webkit engine might give you a slight speed advantage versus the feature rich extensibility of Firefox. Personally, I don't care much about the extensions for Firefox and usually use Safari. However, in some cases I use Firefox and it pays off to have both on your system.

dannomac

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Saskatoon, SK
I've found Firefox to be gearing more towards the Intel Macs lately. Firefox 2.0 was reasonably fast on my 1.5, but 3.0 is slower than molassas in January. I use Safari, it's pretty quick.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I was a fan of Camino when I had my iBook, simply because firefox was too slow, but I never really liked the Panther version of safari.

The downside of Camino, no Firefox plugins.

rj-300zx

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Got Safari on my G4, I mainly use it as the bedroom machine while I use my Lenovo Y730 for gaming and such.

I have iLife and iWork 09 on here too w/ Leopard, although the dock seems slower and im not as big of a fan as the visual style (Vista=Aqua>Leopard). But I use it when Im in the bedroom and not really in the mood to boot up games and just want to answer email, although this is the machine I use at LAN parties for AoE2 and Quake 4.

And for the record, Safari is only ok in my opinion, on my equivalent Windows PC, Internet Explorer seems much faster, but that could also be the slightly newer wireless card.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Reminder to all G4 owners to max out their ram, max up their laptop hard drive to the 250gb Western Digital and disable dashboard on Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.