Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neogeo8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Hey everyone my ipod touch just went through the wash for 30 minutes!!! I'm freaking out this is terrible! I pressed the home button when I first got it out of the machine but it didn't turn on, and as of right now its sitting in a bowl of rice. Will it survive!?!?!?

jshelton

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2008
Hey everyone my ipod touch just went through the wash for 30 minutes!!! I'm freaking out this is terrible! I pressed the home button when I first got it out of the machine but it didn't turn on, and as of right now its sitting in a bowl of rice. Will it survive!?!?!?

...for use as a paperweight. Bummer.

jshelton

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2008
Yeah, don't try to power it up again. You never know, it may fire back up after a week or so. Best of luck

neogeo8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah I'll let you guys know what happenes. Is is better to leave it in rice, or to put it over a heater? Also, I read its bad to turn it on, do you think that pressing the home button but nothing happeneing would turn on any part of the ipod?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Pressing the home button was a bad idea.

Many times, as long as power isn't flowing through, and the item is allowed to dry thoroughly, it'll come out of it just fine. I had an old Compaq el-cheapo laptop which took a shower once when a .75 litre water bottle broke open in my backpack. After about two weeks I felt like it was dried out enough and I gave it a shot, it worked just fine. I sold it for $375 which wasn't bad considering it was a windows machine and two years old.

Bad thing was that during those two weeks when I thought it was dead, I bought my first Macintosh to replace it with. My checking account has never been the same since, I've got the Apple addiction now.

I say leave it in the rice, but it has to be instant rice or it won't help. Better yet, get online and order a whole bunch of dessicant packets and stick it in a tupperware dish with a handfull of those for a few weeks. It may recover yet!

SLC

mcrabbit

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2009
If it makes you feel any better the same thing happened to mine, 3 days after Xmas. I'm sorry to say that even after a little fresh breeze fabic softner, it still has yet to turn back on. I still try once a week but like it was said, it will make a great paperwieght. But on a positive note my new one works just fine :)

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
If it makes you feel any better the same thing happened to mine, 3 days after Xmas. I'm sorry to say that even after a little fresh breeze fabic softner, it still has yet to turn back on. I still try once a week but like it was said, it will make a great paperwieght. But on a positive note my new one works just fine :)

I think it's a bit thin and light to make a good paperweight.

Boots-

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Canada
I feel into water with my ipod nano, it didnt work until a little later on but then the battery died, when i got home i plugged it into my computer and it didnt turn on for 3 days, after that it worked but it could only hold a charge for a fer hours, after a month it went back to normal the way it was. It still works today and holds a charge for 24 hours like it was intended to.

klayman676

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
What's it to you, bub?
Make sure you don't leave the ipod in the bowl of rice on the kitchen counter, where someone might mistake it for a bowl to clean out, that's how my friend lost his waterlogged phone. :( But the rice was a good idea, good luck, hope your ipod comes back to life. :D

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008
Bad thing was that during those two weeks when I thought it was dead, I bought my first Macintosh to replace it with. My checking account has never been the same since, I've got the Apple addiction now.

Good, admitting you have a problem is the first step to....oh wait, that isn't a problem. You're fine! :D

I say leave it in the rice, but it has to be instant rice or it won't help. Better yet, get online and order a whole bunch of dessicant packets and stick it in a tupperware dish with a handfull of those for a few weeks. It may recover yet!

I find those little packets that say "DO NOT EAT" laying all over the house all the time. I've started a collection, hoping I'll never have to use them. *shudders* Depending on how many pairs of shoes the OP buys, he/she may already have plenty. :cool:

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Tokiopop said:
If a few days in rice doesn't work, I've heard a week or two in a bag of rice in a car does the trick. ;)

And if that doesn't work, any bit of reflective white paper or vinyl (like a candy bar wrapper, etc) and an exacto knife will do the trick. Oh, a tiny bit of glue and a toothpick, too. You just need to put a new piece of shiny white whatever in the headphone jack so that it passes the genius' inspection. Not that hard, really. Took me about 10 minutes. ;)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
And if that doesn't work, any bit of reflective white paper or vinyl (like a candy bar wrapper, etc) and an exacto knife will do the trick. Oh, a tiny bit of glue and a toothpick, too. You just need to put a new piece of shiny white whatever in the headphone jack so that it passes the genius' inspection. Not that hard, really. Took me about 10 minutes. ;)

You mean it only took you 10 minutes to commit fraud? Congrats.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

alphaod said:

You mean it only took you 10 minutes to commit fraud? Congrats.

Ten minutes, tops. It was fairly easy to do.

neogeo8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Ten minutes, tops. It was fairly easy to do.[/QUOTE]

LOL! ^^^^

Anyway here is an update on my ipod that went through the wash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 6 days of being submerged in rice and silica gel packets, I nervously plugged in my ipod. After charging, it worked, but it was acting strange.( Randomly would give me the slide to turn of thing, and the home and sleep button weren't working right) So I just did a reboot and now it is working perfectly, and has been for about 3 days so far with no problems.

I have living proof that an ipod can be successfully saved from a full washing machine cycle!!! :)

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008

Are you comfortable being that dishonest? Just wondering how low you are willing to stoop.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Are you comfortable being that dishonest? Just wondering how low you are willing to stoop.
Comfortable? Yeah, quite. When it comes to Apple, I'm very comfortable with a little dishonesty. I love Apple products but hate the company. See my post history for details, if you're so inclined. ;)

Anyway, back on topic. It's easy to get a water-damaged iPod replaced under warranty. That is all.

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Comfortable? Yeah, quite. When it comes to Apple, I'm very comfortable with a little dishonesty. I love Apple products but hate the company. See my post history for details, if you're so inclined. ;)

Anyway, back on topic. It's easy to get a water-damaged iPod replaced under warranty. That is all.

If mine actually didn't touch any water, then that's what I would do too.
Ex: went through the rain.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Sent my 2g to the bottom of the bathtub day before last. Put it in a sandwhich baggie full of rice for a day, crossed my fingers, hooked it up to the computer, and it came on! :D It appears to be taking a charge, and everything appears to be working thus far.

I'll be taking it off the charger and taking it to court with me this morning to see if it holds the charge. Things are tentatively looking good. Even if it doesn't, I'd far rather pay apple or a third party 50-80 bucks to replace the battery rather than shell out another 400 for a new unit.

Thanks for the rice trick! You guys are great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.