Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DIB1952

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
I am appalled at the price of mac books etc in Norway and are looking at alternative purchasing options. I already can save a packet by buying in my native country England but there is one drawback.Although most of my document writing is in English there are rare occasions where I need to write in Norwegian (I am resident in Norway). All very well you may say - what's the big deal? The big deal is quite simply that the Norwegian language has 3 letters not found in the English language (å/æ/ø) and hence not to be found on a regular English/American English keyboard. Is there a simple relatively cheap way to get my intended English Mac book keyboard to write these 3 Norwegian alphabet letters?

Await any responses with interest - thanks :)

Allanist

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2007
I don't have US/english keyboard to try, but I think alt-a=å, alt-o=ø, alt-'=æ.
I also think that if you choose norwegian layout from System Preferences, it will work just fine, except the keys don't have correct labels.

DIB1952

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
I also think that if you choose norwegian layout from System Preferences, it will work just fine, except the keys don't have correct labels.

Thanks a lot. I will give your suggestion a try on an English keyboard. You might have just saved me a large sum of money. :):):)

nightelf

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
I can confirm that those key-combinations work on my US English MBP.

You don't need to change the layout of your keyboard, just type them.

DIB1952

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
I can confirm that those key-combinations work on my US English MBP.

You don't need to change the layout of your keyboard, just type them.

Thanks for your help. It seems to be getting by the minute :):):)

pixelbaker

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2006
if that's too cumbersome messing with alt-keys etc... maybe just buy a norwegian alphabet keyboard and hook it up via USB?

irene barker

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
Norwegian Alphabet.

i tryed what you said to do to get the three norwegian letters to work on the english keyboard, but it woulod not work
could you exsplain that procedure a little better.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you know the Norwegian keyboard by heart, you can just remap the keyboard in the International section where you choose the input language.

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006
Sorry, I have a Swedish system and I don't know the english terms in the menus, but I'll try to explain anyway...

Go to System Preferences. Choose International.
Click on the third tab (Input data menu?).

Check the second box for showing the keyboard menu.

Now you will have a new menu on the top of your screen. With a flag?

In this menu you have an option to show the keyboard on the screen.

The orange keys shown are combining keys. Press one to see how the normal keys change.

Press the ALT and/or SHIFT key to see what letters you get.

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands

On my Dutch keyboard the keyboard combinations are:

alt-a = å
alt-o = ø
alt-' = æ

And other combinations are possible as well, like:

alt-u, then e, o, i, etc = ë, ö, ï, etc
alt-i, then e, o, i, etc = ê, ô, î, etc
alt-e, then e, o, i, etc = é, ó, í, etc
alt-`, then e, o, i, etc = è, ò, ì, etc
alt-c = ç
alt-n, then n = ñ
alt-m = µ
alt-x = ≈
alt-s = ß
alt-d = ∂
alt-f = ƒ

etcetera etcetera...

And this is usefull as well:

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 701

alexanter

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
I am appalled at the price of mac books etc in Norway and are looking at alternative purchasing options. I already can save a packet by buying in my native country England but there is one drawback.Although most of my document writing is in English there are rare occasions where I need to write in Norwegian (I am resident in Norway). All very well you may say - what's the big deal? The big deal is quite simply that the Norwegian language has 3 letters not found in the English language (å/æ/ø) and hence not to be found on a regular English/American English keyboard. Is there a simple relatively cheap way to get my intended English Mac book keyboard to write these 3 Norwegian alphabet letters?

Await any responses with interest - thanks :)

you can buy the mbp with english keyboard and then buy an external wireless one with the Norwegian characters from the apple store uk.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
I have a US keyboard and I'm quite often writing in French. I have a really cool widget which shows me all the shortcuts for inserting special characters. I'll tell you the name when I'm back home.

Tex

poozer115

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
While we're on the topic I can get accent agu and accent grave to work, but circumflex never works (french accents here). Anyone know the key comb for circumflex? (in case you dont know, it's the a with the little hat on top)

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
While we're on the topic I can get accent agu and accent grave to work, but circumflex never works (french accents here). Anyone know the key comb for circumflex? (in case you dont know, it's the a with the little hat on top)

see my reply 5 posts up....

alt-i, then a --> â

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.