Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrappledog

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
I'm looking to buy a wall charger for my iPod Touch 2G. Are there certain products to avoid? In other words, are some more vulnerable to a surge or "overcharging" than others?

Also, while I'm at it ... does anyone have a good source of reviews for iPod Touch 2G car chargers/docks? My car has a standard CD changer/tape deck. Not the kind with a cable port for mp3 players.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Just be sure to get a charger that doesn't make use of the Firewire pins for power; if I remember correctly, those are disabled in the 2nd gen iPod Touch and iPhone 3G. Pretty much anything that gives you a USB port to plug into should be fine as far as wall-warts go.

No dice for the second question, sorry!

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Just buy the apple ac adapter.

Yes.
That would be the best idea.
Also get the triple pronged one.
However they are quite expensive.
If you want to save some money, you can pretty much go with any charger that was released after the iPod Touch 2nd gen

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Any AC adapter that outputs 5V 1A will do the trick. You can actually get away with less (eg., 5V 600mA) but you'll need a beefier adapter (1A) if you ever plan on connecting an iPhone. The Apple AC adapter outputs 5V 1A, but so does the knock-off sold for a FRACTION of the price at dealextreme.com ... ;)

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I don't want to take over you thread or anything, but I also had a similar question. Would something like this be okay to use: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5750794

I mainly got it because it was able to charge any USB device and is a decent size. I've got so many electronics that need to be charged via USB that I was accumulating way too many cords and such, so I got something like this. I just want to make sure before I charge my iPod that this would be okay to use, especially since I prefer not to charge using my computer.

Thanks!

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I don't want to take over you thread or anything, but I also had a similar question. Would something like this be okay to use: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5750794

I mainly got it because it was able to charge any USB device and is a decent size. I've got so many electronics that need to be charged via USB that I was accumulating way too many cords and such, so I got something like this. I just want to make sure before I charge my iPod that this would be okay to use, especially since I prefer not to charge using my computer.

Thanks!

I've already posted the answer. Check the device for its output rating. If the output is 5V 500mA or higher, you'll be fine. If you want to charge an iPhone 3G, though, the output should be a little higher (5V 1A).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.