Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suprdave1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
I searched around and got a few ideas, but not really enough info to make a decision. So - for all of you with your nearly obsolete Powerbook G4's I'm looking for your recommendations!

I have a few bucks and am looking to do one last upgrade to my 15" Aluminum Powerbook G4. Basically this will take it through until its death, whenever down the road that may be. I will max out the ram and replace the hard drive.

My question:

What is the best, quietest, fastest, coolest running hard drive I could get? I'll be looking for something in the 100GB range, probably, I don't really need the internal drive to be much bigger, I have other external drives for data capacity purposes.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008

I second that. Your best bet is the WD 250 GB. I have that in my 12", and it runs very quietly and does not generate as much heat as the old 80 GB 4200 RPM that was in there.

However, with all powerbooks, opening the case and installing the drive is rather difficult for the first time, because there are a lot of screws. My advice would be to go to iFixit and download a PDF guide, then print it.

suprdave1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
well, 2 for 2 on the WD, and I looked at the online reviews and they looked pretty good, too. Anyone know how the Seagate compares? I've heard of them before, but I just don't really know anything about what the good brands of hard drives are.

I will definitely be printing out the ifixit guide. I've read up a LOT on the process, so I feel pretty confident about being able to do it easily. I'm honestly not even worried about the dreaded clips. Electronics repairs are usually a breeze for me. In fact, I actually even had FUN replacing the screen in my old ipod.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I second that. Your best bet is the WD 250 GB. I have that in my 12", and it runs very quietly and does not generate as much heat as the old 80 GB 4200 RPM that was in there.

However, with all powerbooks, opening the case and installing the drive is rather difficult for the first time, because there are a lot of screws. My advice would be to go to iFixit and download a PDF guide, then print it.

There's even a 320GB 2.5 inch PATA drive now.

Cheers,

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I searched around and got a few ideas, but not really enough info to make a decision. So - for all of you with your nearly obsolete Powerbook G4's I'm looking for your recommendations!

I have a few bucks and am looking to do one last upgrade to my 15" Aluminum Powerbook G4. Basically this will take it through until its death, whenever down the road that may be. I will max out the ram and replace the hard drive.

My question:

What is the best, quietest, fastest, coolest running hard drive I could get? I'll be looking for something in the 100GB range, probably, I don't really need the internal drive to be much bigger, I have other external drives for data capacity purposes.

Well the best, quietest, fastest and coolest hard drive will probably be a SSD hard drive. You will pay twice the price but only get half the capacity as a spinning hard drive.

You could always install an SSD as your boot/app/OS drive and replace your optical drive for a larger capacity hard drive to use as storage like your home folder.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
Well the best, quietest, fastest and coolest hard drive will probably be a SSD hard drive. You will pay twice the price but only get half the capacity as a spinning hard drive.

You could always install an SSD as your boot/app/OS drive and replace your optical drive for a larger capacity hard drive to use as storage like your home folder.

Are there PATA SSD ?

I think not... but could be wrong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.