Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Wired reports on AirPhones [App Store], a new utility that allows the iPhone/iPod touch to serve as wireless headphones, accepting streaming audio content from a computer on the same local Wi-Fi network. The utility requires that a free partner server application, currently available only for Intel Macs but coming soon for PPC Macs and Windows, be installed on the computer broadcasting the audio.

After purchasing and installing the app, you have to download a free server application that runs on your Mac desktop (this server component is currently only available Intel Macs). Your iPhone and your Mac need to be connected to the same wireless network, and there is a slight but of latency -- somewhere around a quarter of a second audio delay between your Mac and your iPhone.

In their testing, Wired found "great, not perfect" sound quality, although they did experience occasional stuttering.

In our tests, the app encountered only a few problems. There's the occasional stutter, especially if you walk into a dead spot and the app is forced to reconnect to your Mac. Sometimes, the only way to get it to stop stuttering is to walk back to your desktop and bring up the preferences pane for the server, which lives in the menu bar at the top of your screen. Doing this resets the connection.

AirPhones, which appeared in the App Store on February 19th, has seen several price changes in the few days it has been available, currently settling at $4.99.

Article Link: AirPhones Allows iPhone to Serve as Wireless Headphones

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Only works on Intel Macs... that leaves ALOT of people not being able to use it.

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
That's a very specific need... kind of defeats the point of "wireless" by having to plug into something, but whatever. I'd pick it up for .99 maybe, but not 4.99... there are too many other apps that are much better for that price.

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Maybe I'm not wide awake yet, but why not just use Simplify?

I haven't installed the Mac server app yet, but from the description, it seems that this will stream more than just iTunes. I plan to test this with the SiriusXM StarPlayr app (seeing whereas the app won't be approved by Apple or SiriusXM any time soon).

:cool:

--DotComCTO

lukecro

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
NYC
Could Airphones turn your iPhone into an Airport Express-like device?

Theoretically, couldn't the Airphones app be used as a cheap way to turn an iPhone or iPod Touch into an AirPort Express-type of music-streaming device?

If Airphones allows the user to stream music over wifi into an iPhone/Touch, then you could simply connect the iPhone/Touch's headphone-out port into an audio-in port on any stereo in your house, resulting in the music from your Mac streaming into your iPhone and out of your stereo speakers. Right?

If so, then $4.99 is a lot more cost-effective than buying a $99 AirPort Express. I mean, sure, the AirPort Express does a lot of other things as well (it's a wifi router/extender, printer-server, etc.) -- but if you already have a wifi router in your house and you just wanted an AirPort Express to feed music from, say, your iMac in one room to your entertainment system in another room, then maybe Airphones would be a better alternative.

To make this really convenient, I guess the next question would be whether or not you could use Airphones simultaneously with the iPhone/Touch iTunes REMOTE app, so that you could control the music on your Mac from another room while also streaming it to your stereo speakers using Airphones, all via an iPhone.

I'm guessing that the current iPhone/Touch one-app-running-at-a-time limitation would keep this scenario from working. But with the next generation iPhone (expected around June 2009), maybe it would work.

I've been hoping that Apple would build this type of music-streaming-coupled-with-Mac-remote functionality into a new software release. And I'm surprised that the Airfoil guys haven't built an app along these lines (so we can use Airfoil on a Mac to stream music to an iPhone/iPod Touch in the same way Airfoil works with AirPort Express). Apple and Airfoil both seem well-positioned to offer robust solutions for this type of wifi streaming and remote media control. But maybe Airphones will fit the bill instead.

:apple: :cool:

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
pair this with "remote tap" and running this in the background and we could essentially watch any video type on our iphone streamed from the base computer. Granted the quality won't be awesome, but proof of concept is there!

kmcrawford

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2008
This is great, but I'd love a airfoil speaker program. That was I can use my mac to broadcast music to all of my airtunes and to my iphone docked to a bose sounddock.

csmitty

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
I dont really see the point if all it is streaming music from your computer to iphone/ipod over a LAN. Just play it off your computer or other better speakers.

Using it as a makeshift Aiport is pretty neat, but if you want to skip songs your SOL and have to walk over to it. And for receiving calls.

Now if you could do this over a larger network, then that'd be something.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
This is great, but I'd love a airfoil speaker program. That was I can use my mac to broadcast music to all of my airtunes and to my iphone docked to a bose sounddock.

I agree 100%. I've been waiting for Airfoil to come out with something for the iPhone/iPod touch specifically to put music in my house where there isn’t a computer... but alas, I wait...

Panzo

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2006
My 0.02$,

Ive been using airphones on an JB'ed phone in conjunction with the Cydia App called backgrounder in order to use both Airphones and the Apple Remote app simultaneously.

Install Backgrounder, respring, enable Insomnia (Cydia app to keep Wifi Active), run airphones, background it, run Remote app, background it, go into settings and turn auto lock to never, dock the iphone, voila all in 1 multimedia device.

Pros: All in one solution to replace airport express, possibilities are limitless, sound quality not that bad.

Cons: Iphone gets pretty hot, if undocked battery life = **** (sub 30 minute), While switching songs on the remote app there is brief momentary stuttering or chopping up of the audio feed.

Can supply video if needed.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
My 0.02$,

Ive been using airphones on an JB'ed phone in conjunction with the Cydia App called backgrounder in order to use both Airphones and the Apple Remote app simultaneously.

Install Backgrounder, respring, enable Insomnia (Cydia app to keep Wifi Active), run airphones, background it, run Remote app, background it, go into settings and turn auto lock to never, dock the iphone, voila all in 1 multimedia device.

Pros: All in one solution to replace airport express, possibilities are limitless, sound quality not that bad.

Cons: Iphone gets pretty hot, if undocked battery life = **** (sub 30 minute), While switching songs on the remote app there is brief momentary stuttering or chopping up of the audio feed.

Can supply video if needed.
The perfect illustration of why Apple doesn't allow background tasks. 30 minutes of battery life? Can you imagine the screams if that could happen on a non-jailbroken phone?

I second a question from above -- what about Simplify -- what is the advantage of Air Phones over Simplify?

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Sounds pretty worthless.

Simplify Media?
Dot Tunes?
Put the music on your iPhone?

If you have to be on the same WiFi network, what is the point??

I'd love for one of these developers that are doing nothing but confusing people into buying what seems like a "new" product, to explain to me why I need this when on the same WiFI network?

Same WiFi network = worthless

Over the air on 3G or Edge = the whole ballgame

The new standard for music streaming apps is: Of course it works on Wifi, [I[also.[/I] But its purpose is full quality over the air.

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
The perfect illustration of why Apple doesn't allow background tasks. 30 minutes of battery life? Can you imagine the screams if that could happen on a non-jailbroken phone?

I second a question from above -- what about Simplify -- what is the advantage of Air Phones over Simplify?

:D Its hilarious how many people defend "Backgrounder" as if its something useful and legitimate. I used it for several months and now know precisely why Apple does not allow it. The processor, memory, and battery are not up to the task. Period.

Next device will feature background processes (done correctly) and it will not overwork your battery, decreasing its dexterity with each use.

shokk

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
useless

Why not use SimplifyMedia or... just sync the music to your device!!

What would be cool is if my iPhone's iTunes would pick up the DAAP streaming on my WiFi right now from my Linux file server using Firefly Media Server, the way my Mac and PC iTunes do. But then again that's the same server SimplifyMedia is playing from, so it's the same thing.

apu1234

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Just bought the App from App Store... Seem to be working well exept there's lot of stuttering :(

Panzo

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2006
Not to be a crusader against other apps, but you cannot bash apps without proper justification. Every app has its uses, Airphones was designed to let you use your iphone as a receiver for wireless sound.

That being said, the advantage airphones has over simplify media has to be put in context, simplify media or dot tunes can only transmit itunes content over the air both over wifi or edge or 3g.

Airphones can transmit any audio played by your computer system, wether it be an itunes song, a quicktime movie or a youtube video, but no other conection methods except wifi.

They are not substitutes for one another, they are not competition. They are two apps that share 1 feature, but that each distinctively serve different purposes.

To compare them eye to eye wouldn't be fair if you plan on streaming itunes content only.

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
A good solution would be if Apple would just go ahead and make the iPhone/Touch a true AirTunes target. Then you could make your iPhone a wireless headset. Granted that would be limited to iTunes content. But still... An Apple solution for all around audio being streamed over WiFi would probably work better than any 3rd party one (even if they start out short on features).

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
Microphone?

This would be interesting if it can stream microphone input to the phone.

Like a wireless wiretap.

Add stream from the webcam and it's even more useful for spying on your desk ;)

debatewithhate

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2009
How has no one mentioned ORB software here yet? Allows for audio, video, picture, document, and even TV streaming. (if you have a tuner card) Works well over 3g and WiFi. It allows use as wireless headphones for your pc anywhere. It is pretty much the one app I couldn't live without.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.