Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heesey1010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Hi all,
I have an iMac G3 graphite that I bought recently for $30 bucks. Love the little thing, always wanted one since I was in elementary school. The thing is this...my parents have this crazy idea that unplugging everything that's not being used will save on their power bill. I'm in college and I didn't bring up the iMac (i have a MacBook lol), so my iMac was the victim of an unplugging. I come back to find that the date's been reset to 1963 and a time not even close to current time.

My first impulse is to think that it is the CMOS battery that is dead...but if it was dead, wouldn't the computer not start up? Or have my basics of computing gone kaput?

Thanks

dvince2

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2007
Canada
What happens when you set it to the current time and restart/shut down? Does it forget the time and revert back to 0? or does it keep the time?

I just got an iMac G3 myself, and it came set to the year 1999. I put it forward to the correct date, and it's held it.

heesey1010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
If the computer is restarted/shut down, it still holds the time. The "magic" comes when I unplug the computer. Granted I haven't actually done time trials to see if its an instantaneous thing or if, after a certain amount of time unplugged, it reverts to that weird time. I should also say it's the same date/time it reverts to every time it does it...

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
I would say that the battery is most likely gone. Unfortunately, they cost about as much as what you paid for the machine.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
If the computer is restarted/shut down, it still holds the time. The "magic" comes when I unplug the computer. Granted I haven't actually done time trials to see if its an instantaneous thing or if, after a certain amount of time unplugged, it reverts to that weird time. I should also say it's the same date/time it reverts to every time it does it...
Got one myself, does the same thing , buy the PRAM battery for a few £ like mentioned about $8 sounds right or do what I do and don't unplugg it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.