Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatSweatyChimp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2004
What software do you recommend for editing audio (mp3s, WAVs etc)?

I tried Audacity but found it to be too slow - takes too long when adding effects.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I'm not positive but maybe Apple's Soundtrack might be a good choice. Maybe some others can comment on this...

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
Re: Good audio editing software?

Originally posted by FatSweatyChimp

I tried Audacity but found it to be too slow - takes too long when adding effects.

Garage Band is good and easy to use. And it's free with iLife 04.

:::Edit:::
10.3 to iLife 04 & Soundtrack w/ Garage Band. Wow, I must lay off the bottle.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
If you just want to chop things to size, try Sound Studio (do a google search). You can download a free trial and it is free with all consumer Macs.

SoundTrack is more geared towards video pros and isn't particularly cheap.

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
You can try Bias Peak on a trial basis. They have 3 different versions (full, LE, and DV) so you can fit is somewhere in your budget.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Originally posted by robotrenegade
Sound track is good and easy to use. And it's free with 10.3.

I didn't get it with the Panther version that was shipped with my PB in Nov :(

Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
If you just want to chop things to size, try Sound Studio (do a google search). You can download a free trial and it is free with all consumer Macs.

I didn't get this free either...

Tyler
Earendil

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I never said Sound Studio was free. I said the download trial is free (after which you can buy it for around $50), and it comes preinstalled on all consumer Macs. As you, like I, have a PowerBook, you didn't get it free, as it is deemed a 'pro' computer.

Then again, GarageBand can do a lot of what Sound Studio can do.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Good audio editing software?

Originally posted by FatSweatyChimp

dunno why people are suggesting music creation apps like GarageBand and SoundTrack. sounds to me like you just want to EDIT sounds files. no need for all that. you could with something as simple as Quicktime Pro. or for more functionality Spark or Bias Peak. there are plenty out there. do a quick versiontracker search, probably a freebie out there that'll do what you want. from your post you definitely DO NOT need GB, SoundTrack, or any other music creation app. that's a completely different animal than a wave editor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.