Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
London
Hi, just a quick question (while its at the forefront of my mind) is there a better way of renaming a file / folder than clicking to select the icon, waiting a couple of seconds, then clicking again on the name (and waiting a tick) to edit the fil name? like a keyboard shortcut im not aware of, im a seasoned mac user but need enlightening, thanks guys

alptkz

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
Hi

I'm bumbing this thread for my question. In my Mac, pressing Enter or Return doesn't let me renaming the file or folder. So far I cannot find a single keyboard shortcut that can help me rename files easily. Any idea why it's not working ?

I'm on the latest update of Leopard.

Thanks

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
Relaunch Finder.
Right click the finder dock icon while holding down the option key. Relaunch is on the context menu.
You should then be able to rename by selecting and using the return key.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Hi

I'm bumbing this thread for my question. In my Mac, pressing Enter or Return doesn't let me renaming the file or folder. So far I cannot find a single keyboard shortcut that can help me rename files easily. Any idea why it's not working ?

I'm on the latest update of Leopard.

Thanks

Are you clicking on the file once to select it first? If not, no rename.

alptkz

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
I tried to relaunch Finder, I do click the file to select it and still no renaming :(

Did I deactivate this function somehow, is it even possible to do that ?

alptkz

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
Any ideas anyone ? This is really troublesome as I have to do a lot of renaming.

BertyBoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
File may be in use,

or you may not have permissions on the file itself or the directory the file is in.

Or it may be on read-only media.

alptkz

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
That does not seem the be the case as I can rename the files (any files) just fine by clicking the file and clicking it again. However the Enter/Return shortcut never works for any files. That's why I'm thinking the shortcut is somehow disabled. I don't see what else it could be.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
That does not seem the be the case as I can rename the files (any files) just fine by clicking the file and clicking it again. However the Enter/Return shortcut never works for any files. That's why I'm thinking the shortcut is somehow disabled. I don't see what else it could be.

Click file. Press return. That's all there is to it.

alptkz

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
It should but it doesn't. I'm quite good with computers, I'm not doing something wrong here. The file is clicked, I press Return, nothing happens.

Darfuria

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
Try command + return or ctrl + return. I can't remember if I've mapped the keys on this Mac or not, but ctrl + return works for me.

alptkz

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
I figured it out: I was using the international keyboard which I downloaded but was using an older version which had a few bugs, one of which didn't let me rename by pressing return. I updated to the latest version and all is good. Thanks for the help

trvasu

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2007
Here is the answer you are looking for

Hi, if you are using macbook keyboard, you would notice, "enter" and "return" in the same key. If you want to hit enter, then you should press "fn" and then press the "enter" key.

So to re-name a file, click the file / folder and then "fn+enter" to rename the file:cool:

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Hi, if you are using macbook keyboard, you would notice, "enter" and "return" in the same key. If you want to hit enter, then you should press "fn" and then press the "enter" key.

So to re-name a file, click the file / folder and then "fn+enter" to rename the file:cool:

The fn key press is not necessary. The Enter / Return on the same key is just alternate naming, just like the Alt / Option key. You can still press the fn key+Enter / Return and it will enter edit mode, but really the fn key press is doing nothing and is not necessary.

Gyalis

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2010
The fn key press is not necessary. The Enter / Return on the same key is just alternate naming, just like the Alt / Option key. You can still press the fn key+Enter / Return and it will enter edit mode, but really the fn key press is doing nothing and is not necessary.

This is my official n00b post. I know this is an old thread, but I'm posting this for the benefit of those searching for this information.

The fn key press is necessary in iTunes (Return alone plays the song). I haven't noticed it being necessary anywhere else though.

detuned

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
return is slow

pressing return is slower than using the mouse as you have to delete the file name and then type. with the mouse you can select the name and type away. any shortcut that selects just the name and lets you type in an alternative?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
pressing return is slower than using the mouse as you have to delete the file name and then type. with the mouse you can select the name and type away. any shortcut that selects just the name and lets you type in an alternative?

If you're talking about Finder, this is not true. When you press enter/return on a file in Finder, it enables edit mode and highlights the existing filename. If you want to replace the name, you simply start typing after pressing return, and whatever you type will overwrite the old filename. In iTunes, fn+enter/return does the same thing.

detuned

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
so it doesn't matter if the file extension disappears? because that's what seems to happen if you press return then type

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
so it doesn't matter if the file extension disappears? because that's what seems to happen if you press return then type

No, when you press return on a file name in Finder, it highlights everything except the extension.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
No, when you press return on a file name in Finder, it highlights everything except the extension.

That's a behavior that started in 10.6, the other poster may be using an older OS where it highlights the entire file name, extension included.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.