Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitefang

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
I have an document open and want to take a screenshot but some of the content would have to be viewed by scrolling. When I take the screenshot (command + control + shift + 4), I can't scroll down on the window. Any solution?

whitefang

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
I originally decided to take my notes from OneNotes and copy over to Pages. Because I can't open OneNote format in OSX, I had to publish out a PDF and screenshot some of the complex "table" structures. I could've just screenshot them in the PC.

Anyways, I found a better solution. Directly copy them from prof notes online into pages which works perfectly.

But I'd still like to know how to screenshot something when the content is in a scrollable panel.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Then that wouldn't exactly be a shot of your screen now would it ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Fine. You cannot screen shot a window and expect the window to scroll. I think it's called a screen shot for this very reason. When you take a SS of a specific space you're only indicating what you'd like to clip that is VISIBLE on screen.

You can't see what is beneath the scroll bar you can't scroll with the mouse using the built-in SS feature in OSX.

BTW I am not being an ******* and echoing MacDawg's statement, I just have fat slow fingers that don't work as well as his apparently do. And my posts wouldn't be my posts if I didn't add some level of jerkiness to them.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I went to this site called google and found this application, while it appears to be windows only it will give you some nice hints as to what keywords to search for over at that new site google.com. You see, what you want is not entirely common imo, for that reason alone finding the best way to describe what you want in life is probably prudent to your success in finding the application for OSX.

Giltai

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
Work around

I 'd like a solution too !! my work around is to shrink the screen "command -" not the best idea but if your just missing out on what you want to take a picture of it works

rswc90

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
US
I went to this site called google and found this application, while it appears to be windows only it will give you some nice hints as to what keywords to search for over at that new site google.com. You see, what you want is not entirely common imo, for that reason alone finding the best way to describe what you want in life is probably prudent to your success in finding the application for OSX.

Your suggested application is for a PC - not a mac :confused:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Your suggested application is for a PC - not a mac :confused:

The suggestion was made 5 years ago: Mar 2, 2009.

I'm unable to discern your goal. Are you posting because you have a screenshot problem you want to solve, or because you want to correct a post from 5 years ago?

rswc90

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
US
The suggestion was made 5 years ago: Mar 2, 2009.

I'm unable to discern your goal. Are you posting because you have a screenshot problem you want to solve, or because you want to correct a post from 5 years ago?

Sorry -- didn't notice the date -- was searching (frantically) to find a way to take a rolling screen shot of a document (not a web page). My apologies again for not noticing the date.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Sorry -- didn't notice the date -- was searching (frantically) to find a way to take a rolling screen shot of a document (not a web page). My apologies again for not noticing the date.

Exactly what is your goal?

Post #2 suggests printing to PDF. This still works. In fact, it works better now than it did in 2009.

Printing to PDF is done using the "PDF" button that appears at lower left in the Print dialog (File menu, Print menu-item). Click the PDF button, and it presents a drop-down menu of actions. One is "Save to PDF". Choose that, and proceed with saving to a specific folder, with a chosen name.

If printing to PDF is an inadequate solution, then please explain exactly what you need, and from what application.

Also, did you check the Mac App Store to see what's available? If so, what did you find, and why wasn't it suitable?

Queenbee111

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2020
For everyone a being smart - - - there is a way on a Mac laptop without downloading anything. I have done it a few times by accident and cant figure out what I did to make it scroll and allow me to select before it takes a "screenshot of the window." It can also be done on android without any additional downloads...just part of the functions. Im really want to know what I did because its so useful to be able to scroll and select the screen shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.