Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
bacon is amazing.

last year, we bought a cheap charcoal grill and grilled out on the stoop of our dorm, and i would make bacon cheese burgers by cooking the bacon on a piece of tin foil...they were soooooo good.

Reactions: Math889

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Bacon probably isn't going to show up in the food pyramid anytime soon, and it's not part of my (fairly heathy) diet, but I sure do love to smell it. If somebody else orders bacon in a restaurant and I pass it to them, I move the plate verrrrrry slowly past my nose!

And it's not the worst thing you could eat. A single Entenmann’s chocolate donut has the same saturated and trans fat as nine strips of bacon! So skip the donut, have eight strips of bacon, and boast how diet conscious you are!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
A 5 or 6 years ago 2 friends and I went camping for a week in Brown County State Park (southern Indiana). Long story short in 5 days we ate, among other things, 3 or 4 pounds of bacon. I think it was a few years before I even thought about eating bacon again.

Lethal

ExoticFish

macrumors 6502a
bacon is absolutely fabulously amazing that my friends and i had a party to celebrate it a few months back. we went to the local market and bought 8 different kinds of bacon (1 pound each) and then we cooked them one at a time and ranked them. i believe the apple cured peppered won. check out the fun!

Attachments

• imag0010.jpg
    imag0010.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,109
  • Haha
Reactions: compwiz1202

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I truly do love the stuff, had a bacon sandwich for lunch yesterday, back bacon isn't too fatty, especially if you cut the rind off, and grill rather than fry...

course, you have to open the whole Heinz tomato or HP sauce debate every time don't you?

(Its a very British debate)

Reactions: compwiz1202

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
There was this old woman who came into the deli I worked in as a teenager every day and had the same thing: a BLT with no lettuce and tomato with extra mayo and extra bacon . . . and several cups of coffee.

I kind of got the feeling she was just trying to get it all over with.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
A 5 or 6 years ago 2 friends and I went camping for a week in Brown County State Park (southern Indiana). Long story short in 5 days we ate, among other things, 3 or 4 pounds of bacon. I think it was a few years before I even thought about eating bacon again.

Lethal

So that was 3 or 4 pounds each? I've seen a half dozen scouts go through that in one meal and ask for more. My brother eats almost a pound a day. My appetites are similar.

We were frying our own bacon at 6 or 7. Grease splatter burns were almost a badge of honor.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I might have a little bacon once or so every 2 weeks...mostly on a breakfast sandwich - other than that, I avoid the stuff.

D

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Maybe it's just me but whenever I eat really fried or really fatty foods, I get really bad stomach pains. So in a way, I enjoy not eating it because I remember going to school every day when I was younger lying on my desk wishing I were dead for the longest time until I finally discovered what was causing the pain. Caffeine does the same thing to me, as well.

phrancpharmD

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
Historic Norcross
Originally posted by ExoticFish
i believe the apple cured peppered won. check out the fun!

mmmmmmm, apple cured peppered bacon!

A few years ago I found some thick cut pepper crusted bacon at a butcher shop near Boston. Darn near the best meat / meat product I've ever had!

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Homer: When you're in my house you do what I tell you! Butter up your bacon!
Bart: Yes sir.

later...

Homer: Bacon up your sausage.
Bart: Dad, my heart hurts!

Reactions: Math889

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
the deli next door to an place i used to work would start frying bacon right around lunchtime. not because anyone had ordered it yet, but because they knew people would walk past, smell bacon, and that little lizard brain at the top of their spinal column would say "whoa... bacon. better get some." worked like a charm, every single day.

and speaking of... everyone here should ask their local independent bookseller to carry "snake 'n' bacon's cartoon cabaret." one of the funniest underground comic collections EVER. you may have seen some of the illustrator's work on SNL's TV Funhouse; he did Captain Marginal and the bit about Pablo Picasso. (i'ma gonna break you up into teeny leetle cubes!)

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Bacon is nasty. Nothing but strips of fat being fried up in its own fatty grease. (...)

But that's why it's so good :D :D
My personal favourite is mopping up the fat from the pan with a piece of bread. Instant heart attack!

If you have a generally healthy diet, it's ok to indulge in some bad fat from time to time. The body doesn't mind as it can deal with small amounts... I'll have bacon once or twice a month if its available. Yes living in France does have its disadvantages, *no bacon* :eek: :eek:

Hey, it's 1pm and I'm hungry... [goes to kitchen and cooks up a bacon sandwich :D ]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.