Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Uh, have you guys BUILT a computer in the last 10 years?

CPUs with pins have gone the way of the slide rule. It is nearly impossible to solder a socket 775 chip to a board.

There's no way this chip is soldered.

-Clive

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

CPUs with pins have gone the way of the slide rule. It is nearly impossible to solder a socket 775 chip to a board.

-Clive

Actually I have built many computers but since you think you know so much explain the MacBook and MacBook Pro. The CPU could very well be soldered just like the Apple laptops. Just because the old Mac Mini CPU was socketed does not mean the new Mac Mini is socketed.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World

-Clive

Err, the the chip form factor of the LGA 775 CPUs (which Apple doesn't use) is a Flip-chip land grid array, but the chip form factor of the Socket P CPUs (which Apple does use) is a Flip-chip pin grid array.

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Err, the the chip form factor of the LGA 775 CPUs (which Apple doesn't use) is a Flip-chip land grid array, but the chip form factor of the Socket P CPUs (which Apple does use) is a Flip-chip pin grid array.

If it were pin grid array, it'd probably be socketed. But this is a ball grid array (BGA) chip. Same as the chips in the Macbook and Macbook Pro's, it seems.

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
http://download.intel.com/design/mobile/specupdt/320121.pdf

Looks like 3 variants of the P7350. 2 are m-FCPGA, one m-FCBGA.

SLG8E is my bet of the one in this Mac Mini. I don't know of a way to get an sSpec without physically looking at the processor, though.

The type of 'socket' a CPU is doesn't really define the package. They shouldn't be calling it a socket, as it can be soldered directly to the board without a 'socket'. They should call it more like a pinout or a mount.

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I really wish, and don't understand why, they didn't offer the 2.26 "in store". Maybe it's just easier for them to track who really wants it. Yes, I'm sure it's easier for them to pump out all 2.0 units as well. Perhaps in 3-6 months they'll say they received such high demand that they'll "bump" the top end model to 2.26.

Smacky

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2008

Attachments

• IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 274

jarozi

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
I realize this may be grasping at straws, but can anyone confirm that the 2.26Ghz version is also not socketed?

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Believe me now....I'm so good at taking Apple stuff out of the packaging and apart that I took my Mini back today and they said, "You didn't even turn it on." LOL!!!

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Believe me now....I'm so good at taking Apple stuff out of the packaging and apart that I took my Mini back today and they said, "You didn't even turn it on." LOL!!!

Hah. Well maybe you didn't. You didn't need to turn it on, just strip it naked to expose it's inner secrets.

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
I realize this may be grasping at straws, but can anyone confirm that the 2.26Ghz version is also not socketed?

Seriously, are you kidding me? Why would they socket the 2.26 and not the 2? If anything, the 2 would be socketed so they could have more easily upgraded the CTO's to 2.26. But then they would build batches of 2.26's that don't need sockets as they aren't offering anything higher anyway.

It's over. Mac Mini 2009 is not socketed and will not allow for CPU upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.