Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psipsina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
I'm trying to unzip a document that was downloaded from my virtual backup drive (skydrive). It downloaded in safari with .dox format. When I just double clicked it in the downloads folder it seemed to just make copies of itself that say "CPGZ" on the zip icon instead of "zip" on the original. I looked up what software I could use and downloaded the latest stuffit expander program. I then clicked on the zip document while pressing"ctrl" to select stuffit expander as the program to unzip it. It created a folder with the title of the document but there is no word document within that folder just a bunch of documents that open up in textedit and that aren't readable. How on earth can I open this document to work on it?? Thanks so much.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... It downloaded in safari with .dox format. When I just double clicked it in the downloads folder it seemed to just make copies of itself that say "CPGZ" on the zip icon instead of "zip" on the original. I looked up what software I could use and downloaded the latest stuffit expander program. I then clicked on the zip document while pressing"ctrl" to select stuffit expander as the program to unzip it. It created a folder with the title of the document but there is no word document within that folder just a bunch of documents that open up in textedit and that aren't readable. ....
Don't you mean .docx format? If you are using the .dox extension, then your computer may not recognize the file type.

What you are seeing is what happens to a .docx document when it loses its extended attributes. These documents are not files, but are special structured folders containing XML and other resource files.

Stuffit Expander works great, but you don't need it for .zip files. If you associate .zip files with BOMArchiveHelper, then the Finder will unzip them when you double-click on them.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I'm trying to unzip a document that was downloaded from my virtual backup drive (skydrive). It downloaded in safari with .dox format. When I just double clicked it in the downloads folder it seemed to just make copies of itself that say "CPGZ" on the zip icon instead of "zip" on the original. I looked up what software I could use and downloaded the latest stuffit expander program. I then clicked on the zip document while pressing"ctrl" to select stuffit expander as the program to unzip it. It created a folder with the title of the document but there is no word document within that folder just a bunch of documents that open up in textedit and that aren't readable. How on earth can I open this document to work on it?? Thanks so much.

docx is not an archive its a Word 2007/2008 document.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Actually .docx is a compressed format using zip. Just add ".zip" after ".docx" (filename.docx.zip), then unzip it. After that, locate a file called "document.xml" to see the text.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
I too thought .docx is the new MS Office format for Word 2007/8
It is & what I said above is also true.

After unzipping, there will be a folder with the same name as the file. In that folder there is a "word" folder which contains "document.xml", an xml file which contains the textual content of the .docx file, hence the name docx

dreadeye

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
This doesn't work

Hi
I've got the same problem - incoming compressed word docs are appearing as .docx files and 'unzipping' and .docx.cpgz files.
I've downloaded the latest Stuffit which has successfully 'unzipped' the .docx and given me a folder containing multiple other (PC-type) files and folders.
As suggested above, I've located the 'document.xml' and opened it in Word and TextEdit and neither one gives me a readable version of the document. I can see the text in there, but embedded in it are tons of codes and font instructions and numbers and symbols.
SO, feels like I'm getting closer to being able to read this important document my client sent me, and I've wasted a morning trying to open, but if anyone has the DEFINITIVE way of making .docx files readable on a Mac Powerbook G4 using 10.4.11 that would be great!
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.