Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I don't recall the ad off hand, but if it featured the song and Apple didn't get permission... that was idiotic.
If it was just quietly in the background, or it showed his name... Apple should have gotten permission.
If the facts in this article are true, Apple doesn't have a foot to stand on. *Cue "I fought the law*

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Eninem's Publisher Sues Apple

CBS Marketwatch reports on a lawsuit from Eminem's publisher (Eight Mile Style) against Apple last week.

At issue is a television ad that Apple ran in which a 10-year-old sings Eminem's "Lose Yourself" song. The ad debuted at the launch of Apple's iTunes Music Store alongside 3 other singing ads.

According to the lawsuit, "Eminem has never nationally endorsed any commercial products" and doing so would require a significant payment.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
What a load. Perhaps he realizes he can't come out with anything more that's going to make money, and the guy he 'passed the torch' to, 50 cent, is little more than a thug child who is going nowhere, so he's doing this to get more money for the long road ahead

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
oh lordy lord... weren't the songs that the people in the ads sang, chosen by the people that sang them? I thought that was the point of the commercial... if so, he's kinda hurting his fan base ... either way, you'd think he'd let it go! It was sung by a cute kid, the ad was barely aired compared to the new silhouette ads, and oh just give me a break.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Yeah, not too smart. I can imagine how he cut off talks. Their ears are probably still ringing. :D

ph8te

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2004
Germany
And just when I was starting to like the guy for his unconventional attitude. But then again, maybe it's only his record company, since the recording industry has its back up at the moment anyway.

But it is bordering on the ridiculous... Imagine me serenading my girl with a Barry White song, and along comes a lawyer and slaps me with a lawsuit, because I did not obtain the rights to sing the song...

What about all those pub-bands that do cover versions of popular songs? Are they all gonna be sued soon as well?

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
EM DONE LOST HIS-SELF

Originally posted by ph8te
What about all those pub-bands that do cover versions of popular songs? Are they all gonna be sued soon as well?
Bands who play other people's music are supposed to pay them. Usually, the tavern/bar agrees to contact ASCAP and take care of of royalties from the songs that the bands that play at their establishment have used. I doubt it's really done much... but in theory, that's how it's supposed to go. But who's gonna know, right?

punter

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
Australia
what if only 8 (or was it 9) second of the song is used. Isn't that copyright free? Or 10% of the song, whichever is less. *tries to think back to media studies*

ph8te

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2004
Germany
Does that also mean if I play my car-radio really loud, so that others can hear it, I also have to pay royalties?

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Originally posted by ph8te

I think that's why pubs/bars/clubs pay an ASCAP fee. If they pay this then everyone is happy. 10 years ago my band played a bar/dive and we got them in trouble (fined) because we played a cover song. So after that they couldn't play the radio and live bands had to agree to play original music only. They shut the bar down 1 year later.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Re: Eninem's Publisher Sues Apple

Originally posted by Savage Henry
Eminem is a commercial product.

Eminem's a chump too... the Vanilla Ice of the zero's.. :eek: :p :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.