Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
CNet reports that Hitachi is working on an embedded and non-removable version of the 1" Microdrive that is currently used in the iPod Mini.

An embedded version of the drive would trim costs and enable manufacturers to make even more compact designs.

The drive used in the iPod Mini is the compact Flash version of Microdrive but there has been little success in utilizing it outside the Mini itself.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Flash version of the Microdrive, I thought it was a hard drive based not flash based?

Edit: Thanks Arn for clearing that up...

unc32

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
It is a harddrive but the connector is the same that is used for compact flash.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Dippo
Flash version of the Microdrive, I thought it was a hard drive based not flash based?

Compact Flash is an interface... and doesn't imply Flash Memory itself, though that is what is it is often used with

arn

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Note that Hiatchi 4GB drives apparently retail for $600 by themselves.

arn

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Summarizing comments... Folks ARE having success reformatting the drives, but (a) there is a Creative Labs Mupo that uses a similar drive and is cheaper, and (b) because the drive is 4GB (over 2GB) you have to reformat it FAT32, and most cameras won't work with FAT32 in CF. Because the drive retails for $400 or more, folks are buying Mupos, taking out the drive and selling it on eBay.

NeXTCube

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
Upstate NY
What about a flash iPod Mini?

The flip side of it is that it means that someone could create a flash-based iPod mini, using one of the Lexar Media 4GB flash cards. Be good for longer battery life an shock-resistance.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Re: What about a flash iPod Mini?

Originally posted by NeXTCube
The flip side of it is that it means that someone could create a flash-based iPod mini, using one of the Lexar Media 4GB flash cards. Be good for longer battery life an shock-resistance.

That's the first thing I thought of when I first saw the pictures of the mini ripped apart. The CF interface is still intact, and the hard drive doesn't have a buffer (it uses the mini's built-in memory instead of on-drive memory), so theoretically you could pop a large CF flash card in there.

Although, from what I've read the Hitachi drive is particularly good at handling long runs (45mins+), even when placed on the belt clip... so it may not even be worth the trouble and expense.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I suspect this could also make the iPod mini marginally cheaper by eliminating the Compact Flash connector and controller overhead. Probably not a big difference, but something...

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Excellent math skills!

Originally posted by 1macker1
I bet they buy in such large volumes, that they get them waaaaaay less that 600 bucks.

Considering that Apple sells the minis for $249, that's a very safe bet. ;)

Self-evident, actually.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Originally posted by Dippo
Why would anyone buy them at that price, just buy mini iPods and rip out the drives :)

I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the reasons Hitachi is looking to make an embedded version...

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
<sarchasm>Yeah, but if they ripped out the interface electronics, they would have to call it a "storage element"</sarchasm>

Hansel USA

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Trying to take out the HD to use elsewhere...

Here's an interesting thread on DPReview.com about someone who has (so far unsucessfully) tried to use his ipod mini's hd in his (fat32 enabled) canon slr. Link

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Re: What about a flash iPod Mini?

Originally posted by NeXTCube

Ouch. You make an excellent observation, but for all those whining about the cost of the mini, this isn't going to help. :)

Here's a silly money-making idea. Buy a pallet of minis, rip out the HDs, and sell them for $400 each, which is two-thirds of Hitachi's price. Then put a 1 GB flash card ($170) in the mini, and sell it for $200 as the slickest flash-based player on the market. You would net $180 per unit, which would cover labor and profit.

Who's in? ;)

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
Re: Re: What about a flash iPod Mini?

Originally posted by splashman
Ouch. You make an excellent observation, but for all those whining about the cost of the mini, this isn't going to help. :)

Here's a silly money-making idea. Buy a pallet of minis, rip out the HDs, and sell them for $400 each, which is two-thirds of Hitachi's price. Then put a 1 GB flash card ($170) in the mini, and sell it for $200 as the slickest flash-based player on the market. You would net $180 per unit, which would cover labor and profit.

Who's in? ;)

i'm in ;)

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Re: Re: What about a flash iPod Mini?

Originally posted by splashman

Who's in? ;)

Interesting idea, but it wouldn't quite work. First off, you'd have to spend a fortune just getting certified so you know how to wire the thing, and then you'd have to worry about hooking up the battery to you flash card, not to mention having to re-work the interface so it'll accept the smalelr 1GB capacity.
You'd also have to find enough people to buy useless 4GB drive ripped out of all those iPod mini's. They have no really feasable use, since they are without cases and probably have weird, propriatary interfaces.
Nice idea though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.