Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aygie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Hi guys

so i saw a couple of other threads talking about this and thought we should have a thread where you can show off and share your own custom made Genre thumbnails.

In case your not sure how to do it this is a good guide:

http://id8tion.com/cmykthoughts/2008/09/10/i-hacked-itunes-genre-images-and-so-can-you/

Basically you need to create a jpeg, put it in the right folder (iTunes>Contents>Resources) with the correct name and then adjust a tiny bit of information in the genre plist. Its very simple and people who have no experience with this kind of stuff will be able to do it easily.

Also if (like me) you are annoyed at the fact that some genres are missing you can add your own in the exact same way as in he link posted. Note in mine that Action & Adventure are now two separate genres and i've added Gangster, Kung Fu, Comic & Anime.

Mine are all supposed to be the best films of that genre (ok maybe not Transformers :D). Can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

Pic link now added, download! (ah mobile me:D)

Click here to download

web.jpg

web.jpg

ki7hy

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2008
Looks Great!!!!!!!!

Those look great, I was just working on hooking some of these up for XBMC I am running now on my little Mini Hooked to the TV.

If you don't mind sending me a copy of those I would appreciate it (since you offered) ;).

Good work on those for sure.

daveinmaricopa@gmail.com I imagine the file size is relatively small.

Thanks a million.

Dave

aygie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Those look great, I was just working on hooking some of these up for XBMC I am running now on my little Mini Hooked to the TV.

If you don't mind sending me a copy of those I would appreciate it (since you offered) ;).

Good work on those for sure.

daveinmaricopa@gmail.com I imagine the file size is relatively small.

Thanks a million.

Dave

No problem, email sent :)

Its the first time i've used photoshop so there are some imperfections, but because the icon size is so small it won't matter. Enjoy! :)

aygie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Bump. Come on, i want to see how creative you guys are! :D

Also, i'm going to the Life of Brian for my comedy thumbnail, anyone have any good tips for getting that 3d wording right?

ehmjay

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2006
here's my addition to the "thriller" category.

2882188976_699caff468_o.jpg

I love Heat and all, but let's face it, Psycho is the ORIGINAL thriller.

(ps. could you forward me yours? ehmjay at gmail dot com)

aygie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
here's my addition to the "thriller" category.

2882188976_699caff468_o.jpg

I love Heat and all, but let's face it, Psycho is the ORIGINAL thriller.

(ps. could you forward me yours? ehmjay at gmail dot com)

Very nice! I do love psycho, Heat is one of my all time favorites though.

Just sent you an email.:)

aygie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Well the 8.1 update screwed it up but thank god i emailed you guys them! They were the only place i could find copies! :eek: All fixed now though. :)

smooky007

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
Great Work

Love your genre thumbnails and was wondering if you could please send me a copy (smooky007@yahoo.com) as I am using them on my apple tv, I have already created folder icons for all my TV Shows but need art work for my movie genres (by any chance have you created some for animation, musical or queer films have you?) cheers from downunder :)

roque the red

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2009
Nice!

Ohhh those are exactly what i've been looking for! Can i get a copy of those icons too? (mbrentlong@gmail.com) Thanks!

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
Oh mate they rock! Well impressed, especially since you've never used photoshop before! Would definitely love a copy or a link to where ya keep em... david.w.wrigley (@) gmail.com

Cheers!
-Dogtanian

technobenja

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2009
Great Tip

Thanks for the tip and your nice work.

I'll be happy to get a copy of your icons. After I've worked out a few, I'll be happy to post mine. hanestech (@) mac.com

I made one so far. Still needs work, but I'll get there...

Thanks!

Attachments

• genre-romanticM.jpg
    genre-romanticM.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 6,704

h1tor1

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
Great Icons

Hey Mate!

Great Icons, could you email me a copy too? (juttywood@gmail.com)

Thanks!!

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
Hi, Your download link is missing the documentary, comedy and short film icons. Can you post them . Thanks :)

Could you also do one for foreign films?

aygie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Hi, Your download link is missing the documentary, comedy and short film icons. Can you post them . Thanks :)

Could you also do one for foreign films?

Whoops! Late reply, sorry! The Comedy, documentary and short films icons are the bog standard from Apple.

What type of foreign films would you like me to do? Let me know and i'll give it a bash. :)

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
Whoops! Late reply, sorry! The Comedy, documentary and short films icons are the bog standard from Apple.

What type of foreign films would you like me to do? Let me know and i'll give it a bash. :)

Hi, I tracked down the apple ones in my directories and also grabbed a few cool ones off of flickr

http://www.flickr.com/groups/itunesgenres/pool/

Still can't find one for foreign films so if you could make one that would be great. Anything will do. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.