Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
Not sure if this has been reported; a quick search of the forums didn't pop anything.

Safari 4 seems to provide a warning when Google has tagged a website with potential Malware. I don't know if this Malware is Mac or PC but thought it was interesting. I've attached a screenshot to see what I mean.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed. Kinda cool though.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 848

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
Anti-Phishing Feature

Apparently this was included in Safari 3.2 as part of the anti-phishing feature. A friend just informed me. Still never accounted it and it's nice feature to have.

Is there anyway to tell if the malware would infect Macs?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
this is a feature listed on apple's website. And Im glad apple add this.

back couple of month, many people here objected to such a function because they think this function will lower the users' guard against the malicious website. (sorry, I can't resist)

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
This feature is available in the current Safari. You can turn it on under the Preferences>Security tab....

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Well malware in general cannot infect Macs.
If a site has been flagged by Google, then it is likely that the site was put online with the specific purpose of phishing or distributing malware to the hapless Windows user. This means that everything there is in continuance of a fraud. Your visiting the site serves no good purpose.

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

MisterMe said:
Well malware in general cannot infect Macs.
If a site has been flagged by Google, then it is likely that the site was put online with the specific purpose of phishing or distributing malware to the hapless Windows user. This means that everything there is in continuance of a fraud. Your visiting the site serves no good purpose.

And hence why I didn't. I actually was going to visit the site because of a verbal recomendation. My friend had no idea and is busy checking for potential malware.

I told him he should use Firefox, Chrome, or Safari instead of IE.

istara

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2006
I've been getting this warning constantly for weeks now on a UK showbiz news site that I've used (with no problems) for years - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk - it's not just the front page, but sub pages too all generate that warning.

Even if I ignore it, it pops back again after a few seconds. Would that suggest some third-party ad-plugin code is to blame?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.