Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ponyochan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I've finally found an app that allows free text messaging that works in both the US and Canada. It's a great app with a simple interface that has everything I need, things like: a landscape keyboard and sending messages to multiple contacts. I go over on my text plan every month so this app will save me a bundle!! Linky: www.momentii.com :)

geniusmon

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
SMSenger is AWESOME THX!

I downloaded the app yesterday and it can be summarized by 2 words: PURE AWESOMENESS.

The setup:
It was easy. I put in a nickname that only my friends knew. When my friends open my message they see my nickname in it.

Adding a contacts:
I can add numbers from my phonebook of my iphone.

Sending mulitple messages:
This is the part that I liked the best. I touch the names of my friends on screen to select and I can send all 4 of my friends a text message. I think I can send to more at a time but 4 was pretty great.

Landscape typing:
The native SMS app on the iphone doesn't even have this. This app DOES! For my fingers and my eyes can take a break. Just wonderful.

Price:
Cheap. The text messages are free for goodness sakes.

Thanks for the post!!!!

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
I am using Textfree. Is SMSenger the same thing pretty much?

Textfree is awesome too and I love that its free. :) I am surprised Apple would let it in the app store because now people do not have a reason to buy an iPhone since they can text on their iPod Touch.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Textfree is awesome too and I love that its free. :) I am surprised Apple would let it in the app store because now people do not have a reason to buy an iPhone since they can text on their iPod Touch.

I don't know, but I think some people would still like to use their iPhone as a phone also ;) Not to mention texting outside of WiFi areas.

thatsuperman

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2009
SMSenger rocks!!

I am using Textfree. Is SMSenger the same thing pretty much?

I had Text Free also but as I mentioned in another thread, there's a huge time lag with Text Free. I've since replaced it with SMSenger which is faster and works reliably. Check it out at momentii.com for full specs. I've had it for a week and it's great - love the landscape keyboard!! I heard it probably won't stay at 99 cents for long b/c new features will be added soon.

appletechie

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2009
Cool SMS app

Ok...tried the lot of text messaging apps. SMSenger is it! I can text to several friends at a time in Canada and the U.S.. Gotta check it out. momentii.com

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
how are these SMS sent with no charges? I want to know to make sure there's no tricky business going on.

wilmer007

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
AIM also let's u send unlimited free texts and you can IM at the same exact time. Plus you can send a text to your buddies phone on your computer and IM someone that's on aim and you get your friends text reply while your IM your aim buddy. Really neat and works flawlessly.

geniusmon

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
how are these SMS sent with no charges? I want to know to make sure there's no tricky business going on.

AIM is pricier than SMSenger and not all my friends have iphones which is why it works for me. Yeah I am price sensitive (or cheap)

The replies dont go back to the app (rather they go to my native SMS app) which when I emailed their customer support they told me (rather quickly I might add) they are working on the next version.

They can send text for free because it transmits the message via data to text messaging which is what a whole bunch of apps do on the app store. This is unlike infinite sms which uses the google talk SMS platform.. which is why they got shut down.
Isnt that essentially as bad as creating a new search engine and having it really go to google to all the heavy lifting? :p.

BTW I called up my carrier and they dont care that I sent text messages this way because I am sending a message via my data plan or if I am at home with my wifi I send messages that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.