Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alkar

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
yes... and you need 4870 drivers you can find on netkas.org (but remove natit.kext, it's only needed for hackint0shes).

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Waiting for results. If PC cards are running without any issues, I'll cancel my order from Apple.

astrakan

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2009
Yes, I'm keeping a close eye on this too. I have a PC version 4870 that I'd like to see in my 2.8 octo. Not doen anything like this with ROMs before though. Hopefully some kind-hearted soul will post a step-by-step-for-newbies guide for us, once they've confirmed it all works? :)

Also, does the 2.8 octo have appropriate power connectors for the 4870?

pipomolo42

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
I just tried it on my Sapphire HD4870 (the 1st gen one, based on ATI's ref design).

I flashed using freedos and the following command line :
atiflash.exe -p -fs -fp 0 4870.rom
note : -fs and -fp are used to ignore SSID and P/N mismatches

And it works!

EFI driver is initialized correctly, (I don't have the leaked MacOSX drivers for this card, so I can't tell if this one works too), and bootcamp stil works (currently writing from GNU/Linux on my 2006 Mac Pro).

Only problem is : only one output is active, no dual-head, it seems (at least using ATI's linux driver)

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I just tried it on my Sapphire HD4870 (the 1st gen one, based on ATI's ref design).

And it works!

EFI driver is initialized correctly, (I don't have the leaked MacOSX drivers for this card, so I can't tell if this one works too), and bootcamp stil works (currently writing from GNU/Linux on my 2006 Mac Pro).

Only problem is : only one output is active, no dual-head, it seems (at least using ATI's linux driver)

Just to clarify, you only get single head mode in OS X as well?

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

And it works!

Can you test after you get the drivers if quartz/opengl accelerations work correctly?

pipomolo42

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
Ok, I tested your driver, and it works fine.

So, it seems my first assumption was wrong : dual head DOES work in MacOS X, but analog output does not.

Here is a screenshot of system profiler with both a LCD display, plugged in as DVI, and a TV, plugged in as DVI using the HDMI to DVI adapter that was included in my ATI 4870 box, and both work.

Attachments

• Image 2.png
    Image 2.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 737

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.

So, it seems my first assumption was wrong : dual head DOES work in MacOS X, but analog output does not.

Here is a screenshot of system profiler with both a LCD display, plugged in as DVI, and a TV, plugged in as DVI using the HDMI to DVI adapter that was included in my ATI 4870 box, and both work.

Whoa whoa whoa. Are you confirming that a 2006/2007 Mac Pro can in fact run the 4870 with the reflash?

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK

Fantastic, means i can scrap my order for Apple's 4870 and use a far cheaper PC version.

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006

Great new, Tommorrow i will go to my local pc store and bought 4870.

ps. anybody with 4850, 4830 flash this rom please.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
Well, I didn't run any benchmark yet. And a VGA output won't work. But otherwise, it looks OK.

VGA's dead to me, so that's no big deal. Looks like I'll order one on Monday… hopefully by then someone will have tried with a 1GB card so we know if those work, too!

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Well, I didn't run any benchmark yet. And a VGA output won't work. But otherwise, it looks OK.
u can also try this -
open this rom in RBE and on clocks tab change all ram clocks to 900 (from 850), so your card will run at stock ram speed, not undeclocked :)

goin3d

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
Forgive me for asking but how come we still need to dl the drivers? Does OS X not yet have stable 4870 drivers built in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.