Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
How do I connect my iBook G4 to a TV? It has a DVI port in the TV and I'm not sure which adaptors I should get for it. Thanks!

jtibbitt

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
Do you mean use the TV as an external monitor? Or do you want to run TV on the Mac potentially recording some shows onto your hard drive. I used to do the latter. I had a device (a little box) with a audio/video in (both RCA and coaxial cable options) connecting to the TV and a USB 2.0 (I think) connecting to the computer. It was very nice. I'd watch TV on the Mac. The software that came with it allowed me to setup times to record shows, which channels they were on, ........, etc etc. That's been a while and I don't remember the name of that little device. But I got it in the Mac section of the computer store. There are similar devices now being sold at the Apple Stores. They look pretty nice. You might be able to go either way (i.e. putting computer video onto TV or putting TV onto computer), I don't know.

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
There is a DVI port on the back of my TV. I plan on using it like an Apple TV (rent movies on iTunes and project it on my TV). I want to use my TV like an external monitor.

jtibbitt

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
I've never done that. But it seems you don't need the middle device box. Software maybe. Or maybe there is an option in the TV menu to flip on. That will be very cool though, when it works.

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
My question is that if there is an adaptor so I can use the VGA adaptor that iBook has and plug it into the DVI port.

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
EDIT: My TV actually has a VGA port and I want to plug it into a HDMI port now. Do I just get a VGA to DVI cable and then a DVI to HDMI?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.