Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fandango, the popular movie ticketing site, has released a native iPhone and iPod touch application that allows user to search movie showings and purchase movie tickets on the go. Fandango [App Store, Free] also provides access to fan ratings, background information on films and theaters, and trailers.

Get movie and theater listings with the flick of your finger. Watch trailers. View fan ratings. All while the device’s core location feature finds the theaters closest to you and the movies playing at them. And when you’re ready to buy, it’s as simple as, well, 1-2 with our super-quick purchasing that secures your tickets fast and drama-free. Want more? Add favorite theaters for faster searching, securely save your credit card information for expedited purchasing, discover theater amenities and more.

Fandango has long provided an iPhone-customized web application for accessing movie ticketing information, but the new native application provides a significant enhancement in features.

Article Link: Fandango App Comes to iPhone

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
So... how DO you get the tickets? Does the iPhone display a barcode they can scan?

This would be a lot more useful if the iPhone could print...

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
So... how DO you get the tickets? Does the iPhone display a barcode they can scan?

the theater i used to work at had either took a paper that had a specail number on it that or we would use the credit Card and scan it and it has some sorta thing tied into the card when it scans. either way i recomend fandango the only draw back is the 2.00 fee atleast thats what it was when i last used fandango.

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
I wonder how this will affect Flixster... I use that app a lot and it provides links to Fandango's website to purchase actual tickets but is useful for info on DVDs about to be released.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
This app is 'meh'. Both the 'in theatres' and 'coming soon' options which pop up by default list nothing but movies that have yet to be released!! I do, however, like the favorites tab, and overall while simple it is easy to use.

Seeing as I don't purchase tickets via fandango, I see no reason to use this app vs Now Playing which is what I currently use. Especially since that app also includes a more detailed rating system, properly sorted releases, and DVD releases. But hey, Fandango's free too, so why not

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
US theaters only? :\

Now Playing has international theaters (particularly Brazil). So I'll keep using that for now :)

edwinaoki

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
This app is 'meh'. Both the 'in theatres' and 'coming soon' options which pop up by default list nothing but movies that have yet to be released!! I do, however, like the favorites tab, and overall while simple it is easy to use.

Coincidentally, the Moviefone app just hit the store as well (also free). It's also US focused, and I'm biased, working for the company that makes it, but give it a go and let us know what you think. There's a feedback button in the app that goes straight to the development team.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Now that we've gotten that out of the way....

If someone actually uses this app to buy a ticket, I'd love to hear feedback. Flixster seems to crash some people's iPhones, so some competition to that is good. OTOH, at many theaters,

On the other hand, I'm not that big on opening night movies, and I'm also among those loathe to pay even more for movie tickets....

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
yeah i'll deff wait until i hear more about this.

i'm fine with going to the movies the old fashioned way and paying there for my tickets.

plus i don't wanna goto some place that can't verify my purchase. that'd suck

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ

All the theaters around me have ATMs (automatic ticket machines). I use these all the time to grab tickets without waiting in line or to retrieve tickets purchased through Fandango. Just swipe your credit card through and it prints all the tickets you purchased with that card.

Tybee

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Decatur, Ga.
Anybody else using Showtimes? I've been very happy with that app, so I'd be interested to see how it compares to Fandango.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
All the theaters around me have ATMs (automatic ticket machines). I use these all the time to grab tickets without waiting in line or to retrieve tickets purchased through Fandango. Just swipe your credit card through and it prints all the tickets you purchased with that card.

I used it earlier today and it works just like the internet website Fandango. Just like the Fandango internet website, it displays a numerical code and you go to that same "ATM machine" that you are talking about, enter the code, and your tickets print right out. When a new release movie comes out and there are a hundred people in line and they keep selling out, having reserved your tickets before leaving home is priceless.

SuperKat

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
In A Galaxy Far, Far Away
It's Good

Picked up the app yesterday. I like the "favorites" so I can check out the theaters I go to in different counties.
Haven't bought tix w/ it yet though, and I'm a little scared about putting my credit card info in because it'll be available if I lose the phone. Although I lock my iPhone, there's a slim chance someone will pick it up prior to it locking out. Anyway, that security issue seems to be the only minus in the reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.