Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Boxee has announced the availability of boxee remote [App Store, Free], an application for the iPhone and iPod touch that connects via Wi-Fi to act as a remote for the Boxee media center software.

The application provides two different modes for navigation, a traditional "Buttons Mode" and a "Gesture Mode" in which the user touches the Boxee logo and drags it around the screen in order to navigate.

When in Gesture Mode hold your thumb down and drag the boxee logo around to move up/down/right/left. drag it to the edge on the screen and hold it there to navigate long lists. click on the logo to perform an action.

The remote also takes advantage of the iPhone's keyboard for inputting text.

While Boxee acknowledges that this is only a basic application for now, they do have plans to expand the functionality of it based on user feedback.

Article Link: Boxee Remote for iPhone Now Available

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Good stuff! Was hoping they would come out with one. I use Boxee a lot on my Apple TV.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Good stuff! Was hoping they would come out with one. I use Boxee a lot on my Apple TV.

Me too, Boxee on appleTV is great. The latest version even brought back Hulu (called Hulu feeds?) but it still needs to have the bugs worked out. Load times are slow and sometime unresponsive. But hey, I was able to watch BSG, so not all bad. Such is life on the bleeding edge of internet-based, near-HD content delivery.

I guess the next big Boxee release is March 24. The remote is a nice feature.

broncopde

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Conway, AR
Super interface

This interface is super because it's versatile. The truth is that there are many who love using buttons, and there are many who love gestures. To give people the choice is, to me, a no brainer (as long as you have the resources to program for both). I really wish apple would pay attention to this and give users a little choice in how to interact with the native iPhone/iPod touch apps. For example, in the Music/iTunes app, it'd be great to be able to swipe left/right to switch songs and double-tap to play/pause and so on, while retaining the present buttons. I know there are apps that can assist in this (at least there were in the Installer when I jailbroke before 2.0), but that's not what I'm looking for, for several seemingly obvoius reasons.

AppleNiMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
I am SHOCKED!!!!! Who would have thought Apple would approve this? This is good but Tweetie 1.3 was not?

Go figure... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.