Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
A question for those who have used both the MacBook Air 1.6 GHz and the Powerbook 12" 1.5GHz maxed out 1.5GBRAM - I wonder how the Powerbook compares in terms of speed and zippliness relative to the early 1.6 GHz MacBook Air's.

Not for high level software like Photoshop, but just word processing and surfing the web?

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
The PB is actually snappier in GUI operations due to the dedicated video on my 1.33ghz/1.25gb 12" PB. Minimizing windows using the genie effect is noticeably faster. However, once you start piling on heavy apps like Pages or Flash, the PB gets killed.

Strangely, Office 2004 on a PB runs much faster than either Office 2004 or 2008 on the MacBook Air. I actually just sold my MBA and switched to a Vaio TZ, largely because of poor battery life on the MBA and awful Office performance.

catdog02481

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2003
Boston, MA
The PB is actually snappier in GUI operations due to the dedicated video on my 1.33ghz/1.25gb 12" PB. Minimizing windows using the genie effect is noticeably faster. However, once you start piling on heavy apps like Pages or Flash, the PB gets killed.

Strangely, Office 2004 on a PB runs much faster than either Office 2004 or 2008 on the MacBook Air. I actually just sold my MBA and switched to a Vaio TZ, largely because of poor battery life on the MBA and awful Office performance.

Hi, I have a Sony TZ and an MBA rev.1 1.8/SSD and just sold the latest maxed out PB12G4 1.5/1.25gb and i can tell you, the MBA is much much faster in pretty much anything you throw at it, including Office. Office 2008 runs very well on the MBA, no complaints. The PB was cute and had a sharp screen and brought back fond memories but it was obviously from another era, it had occasional troubles with youtube videos and some complex websites.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Hi, I have a Sony TZ and an MBA rev.1 1.8/SSD and just sold the latest maxed out PB12G4 1.5/1.25gb and i can tell you, the MBA is much much faster in pretty much anything you throw at it, including Office. Office 2008 runs very well on the MBA, no complaints. The PB was cute and had a sharp screen and brought back fond memories but it was obviously from another era, it had occasional troubles with youtube videos and some complex websites.

The Air crushes almost any Power PC Mac. My Rev B gets a geekbench score higher then a Powermac G5 (dual 2.7).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.