Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX

268x268.resizedimage

See TRAILER in HD!

NOW RELEASED TO Steam!
(Greenlight approved)

--OR--

(September 2017 updated thread above this line.)

1.35.14.0 released 1st August 2018

NEWS: MAJOR CHANGES TO KEY MAP AREAS (see last post)

Historically based MMO game, both land, sea, and air combat that has the LARGEST CONTINUOUS game map in existence.
Have complete freedom of where to go, unlike many games that limit you to a tiny map and a handful of players.

Notes:
OPEN map (that is, with infantry will take DAYS to reach the limit of the map)
True MMO with NO player limit (HUNDREDS can play on giant map at same time, although render limits usually limit who you see to about 64).
COMBINED arms, the only sim/game where infantry, ground, air, and sea interact.
Support vehicles are key to victory, trucks and transports play key role in action.
Teamwork is real!! Most games struggle to get players to work together, here players realize they have to put even a small effort to win.

Home page
http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/index.php

Download (You can install the and play in OFFLINE mode COMPLETELY FREE only when you got online will you need to sign up.)
http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/index.php/getting-started/download-the-game

Signup (Tell them "Frantishek" sent you ;) ):

Game Wiki:
http://wiki.wwiionline.com/index.php/Main_Page

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWII_Online

Old comparison map image, it is now MUCH bigger then this: :D
WW2OL Map size 1_80.jpg

This is a lower quality map showing almost entire built up area (a little bit at the east and west missing.)
(ALL the map can be explored, but is lacking objects)
1012445594_be135mapsmall.thumb.gif.7691863fc8f880513eb683ccc9dc7f84.gif

(past news

FREE PLAY and EVENTS. (TBA)

Last edited:

Rank Xerox

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2002
I think I have meantioned it, but that was long time ago. Don't have time to lurk here, playing WWII Online is much more fun. :p

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Wondering same.

Trying to find a game my son and I can play online at the same time and is not WOW type.

austincolby

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004
Fantastic game!!!

WWII online aka battleground Europe is an absolutely fantastic game! Steep learning curve, but completely worth it- unmatched gameplay, community interaction and cooperation, teamwork, etc.

Most fulfilling experience I've had with a mmo... And have kept it up on and off for 6-plus years.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Is it a game you can sit down and play for 30-60 minutes or do you have to invest 3-4 hours at a time to play?

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Is it a game you can sit down and play for 30-60 minutes or do you have to invest 3-4 hours at a time to play?

Can be as short or as long as you want to play.

In heavily contested areas mission time will be <4 min.
Some mission types can exceed 2 hours.
Average about 7 to 15 min

But you son will learn a LOT about history. Just do not tell him that. ;)

OH, and I should add, team work is a MUST. A father/son team will shine.
And yes, there are a few father/son and even brothers playing.

Look for me in game, and I can help you out.
Cheers!

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Thanks for that - I think we will give it a try. We're leaving for vacation today, but when we get back in a week I think we'll sign up for the trial.

If we both want to play, do we have to pay the monthly fee twice or is it per household?

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Thanks for that - I think we will give it a try. We're leaving for vacation today, but when we get back in a week I think we'll sign up for the trial.

If we both want to play, do we have to pay the monthly fee twice or is it per household?

It's per account, so it will be twice.

You can download and check out the game OFFLINE for free now, check out the terrain and vehicles.

All upgrades to new versions are free.

Garand

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2006
Good to see WW2OL (Battleground Europe) getting some attention here. I have been a subscriber to the game since it came out in November 2002 for the Macintosh. The game has a steep learning curve but and can be one of the most intense adrenaline rushes around. The important thing during the trial is to hook up with a player or squad that can answer your questions.

The community is very helpful. Look past the visuals, which have gotten much better over the years, and experience the game play. It is a tough non-forgiving game. You make a mistake you will die. However, how many games do you know where a new player can take out a veteran of several years because of a good shot or being in the right place at the right time.

Patience rules the day with this game. Several times when we have new players in our squad they comment about their experience with first person shooters and they say - wow this game is tough!!

Right now we are on campaign #51 - see the full map at this link and click on the map

http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/

If you decide to play Allied check out our squad page - 7thAST squad. We use TS and usually have 15 to 20 on most of the time.

http://www.7tharmy.us/

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Sounds a lot like America's Army - when I started playing that game I had to totally adjust my play style. Charging in anywhere was almost guaranteed death and then having to wait 10 min while everyone else finished. I loved how when you died, that was it, no respawns. Made the game a totally difference experience and teamwork was key.

However if we both are playing, at $30/month I don't think I can justify the cost so I'll probably pass. Thanks for the info however.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Sounds a lot like America's Army - when I started playing that game I had to totally adjust my play style. Charging in anywhere was almost guaranteed death and then having to wait 10 min while everyone else finished. I loved how when you died, that was it, no respawns. Made the game a totally difference experience and teamwork was key.

However if we both are playing, at $30/month I don't think I can justify the cost so I'll probably pass. Thanks for the info however.

You are missing out on a great experiance!
Get one account in, check it out, and when you are ready, can get a 2ed one.

Also, you can get 6mo and 12mo for much less. 12month is almost 1/2 of monthly.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
1.30 has gone to OPEN beta testing, all subscribers can see the cool new toys and terrain.

It may be about 2 weeks for it to be the new client.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
so this is just MMO? Are there any rewards for playing over time besides story and satisfaction lol, like leveling etc? That stuff keeps me going.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
so this is just MMO? Are there any rewards for playing over time besides story and satisfaction lol, like leveling etc? That stuff keeps me going.

As you score points and gain in rank, you will get more "toys", the biggest, baddest vehicles.

There are 3 sides, with 3 branches, so you have a lot to look forward to.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
The company is based in Bedford, next to Dallas, TX.

They are having a 10th anniversary party Friday, all are welcome.

BigSplash

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2009
Durham, NC
I don't know why this game is so little known. It's a real gem. Players tend to be more mature (i.e, many active mil, vets, and history buffs) than you might expect to find on a game site. The game has many aspects that are a little difficult to describe succinctly and appeal to a variety of gaming tastes from the tactical twitch to leadership and campaign strategy.

Look for a free trial period and give it a chance but I should caution that the game can be more addictive than crack.

Been playing this game forever and I'm still a nub.:eek:

If you try the game, ask for help or you might find the learning curve frustrating. Give it a chance and you will find that the community is one of the best that you will find anywhere.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Now that 1.3 is out, what are the specials ?

no, not 1.3
1.30, as in the 30th sub-version!

I'm sorry but that game sucks. No offense. The graphics are very Windows 95ish.

Comparing a game to the way Win95 looks. Now that tells us a lot more about you then the game.

Play Doom 3/ Quake/ MOH / etc, every few minuets you get a message "Loading".
Why? Because it has to load 250mb of map to continue playing.
And so you have to wait.....

This game is a boarder less, real time mop. It is NOT an "Arena" game like the vast majority of console types.

Sure the graphics are not as pretty, but when the game play has no limits to how far or fast, who cares if the flowers look pretty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.