Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
This is a hack similar to the ones done to enable bluetooth/USB tethering.

Instructions for at&t and iPhone 3G follow.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
MMS for the iPhone 3G on at&t does work. I've been able to send and receive messages directly from the iPhone 3G using the following instructions.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

1) This is experimental. The instructions might not work or might cause your phone to stop functioning completely.

2) at&t does not support this officially yet. There have been some reports of problems associated with enabling MMS on at&t.

3) The information is provided here for educational and informational purposes only. It should not be used on any phone.

This requires an iPhone 3G loaded with the iPhone OS 3.0 and 3.0 SDK installed onto a Mac with Leopard 10.5.

Step 1) Prepare the ATT_US.ipcc

Follow steps 1 - 7 from the instructions here.

1) Under Root in carrier.plist add:

AllowEDGEEditing Boolean Checked
AllowMMSCEditing Boolean Checked
AllowMMSEditing Boolean Checked

2) Add the following:

In the wap dictionary (mine is wap.cingular, sts's was wap.dol.ie), add a new pair. Do not edit the password or username:
type-mask = (NUMBER) -2

3) Under root in carrier.plist also add:

mms_proxy String 066.209.011.032
mms_proxy_port String 80
mmsc String http://mmsc.cingular.com

Now follow Steps 9 - 12 in the instructions to finish preparing the ATT_US.ipcc.

Step 2) Enable MMS on your account at at&t.

Removed content related to enabling MMS due to problems. I have been looking at SwirlyMMS threads to get an idea of how to enable it, but no solution so far.

I have not tested this with tethering. I will let someone do that if they want to.

GreggM3

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Atlanta
I noticed that if I disable tethering the MMS options come back to life. Can someone hack the tethering file for AT&T to include the MMS changes?:D

odyssey924

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
So, I'm on a family plan with a family unlimited texting plan. When trying the SIM card in another phone I can text, but I can't send MMS messages.. Does that mean that my account has some kind of block on it? My other family members have non-iPhones and can do MMS just fine.

GravityEyes

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2007
Nashville, TN
Anyone, Bueller? Anyway to have both tethering and MMS?

I tried MMS and Tethering hacks together... no dice.

Tethering by itself worked - but, no Visual Voicemail
MMS hack above does not work for me - even after asking AT&T to switch me from an 'iphone texting plan' - to a standard texting (with MMS) plan.

Hmmm,

odyssey924

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
Very strange behavior here. I uploaded the new IPCC file, but it still didn't work, so...

I put my SIM in my Windows Mobile phone... couldn't send or receive MMS.

I put the SIM in my old NGage... couldn't send or receive MMS.

I put the SIM BACK in my iPhone 3G, now it appears it can send and receive.

So maybe all you have to do after you load the new carrier file is restart the phone, take your SIM card out (while the phone is on) and put it back in.

BTW, tethering works too with the instructions posted above, so now everything works with one carrier file!

GreggM3

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Atlanta
Very strange behavior here. I uploaded the new IPCC file, but it still didn't work, so...

I put my SIM in my Windows Mobile phone... couldn't send or receive MMS.

I put the SIM in my old NGage... couldn't send or receive MMS.

I put the SIM BACK in my iPhone 3G, now it appears it can send and receive.

So maybe all you have to do after you load the new carrier file is restart the phone, take your SIM card out (while the phone is on) and put it back in.

BTW, tethering works too with the instructions posted above, so now everything works with one carrier file!
Good can you share the file so us dorks can use it? I also heard that YouTube works if you don't restore from a 2.0 backup?!

odyssey924

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
If someone has a place to host the file, I can email it to them.

And yes, YouTube works fine as long as you setup as a new phone.

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
I've had MMS and Tethering working along with YouTube and Visual Voicemail since day one. There must be something in those IPCC you guys are using that are causing these problems, or some prior Jailbreaking causing the problems, in which you are on your own.

They key to MMS is your plan, the iPhone plan only gets MMS messages as SMS messages. You need to be on a Family Messaging plan or a non-iPhone "Messaging Plan." Once you do get that changed, you use settings similar to above then MMS will work.

Ansuz82

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
I've got the modified IPCC file installed (with tethering options there) and have changed my text plan over to the family plan which contains MMS.

Problem is, I still can't send or receive MMS messages. Any ideas?

GreggM3

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Atlanta
I received the email with the file but it unzips as a payload not a ipcc file? Don't know what to do with that? The original tethering file I had was a DMG that opened to a .ipcc file. Any ideas?

odyssey924

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
This takes another turn!

I just restarted my phone and now MMS doesn't work anymore!

I tried taking the SIM card out as I did before, but it didn't work this time. So, I know it will work on my family unlimited plan, but something in the phone just isn't quite working right. Anyone else have any luck?

I made a screenshot showing it working, but I can't use the attachment tool for some reason. :confused:

Ansuz82

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
No, I can't get them as SMS messages either. When I attempt to send my phone an MMS message via its email address it gets returned as "address has restricted MMS." When the come from another phone I get no notification and the sender gets no notification that it was not received.

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
I received the email with the file but it unzips as a payload not a ipcc file? Don't know what to do with that? The original tethering file I had was a DMG that opened to a .ipcc file. Any ideas?

Yeah it appears your Mac is unzipping the .ipcc file. Unzip the file with another program and see if that happens.

odyssey924

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006

I sent you the actual IPCC file. It is in it's proper form and doesn't need to be unzipped. Just put it in the proper folder.

Spyt3

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
I've got the modified IPCC file installed (with tethering options there) and have changed my text plan over to the family plan which contains MMS.

Problem is, I still can't send or receive MMS messages. Any ideas?

did you restart your iPhone?
is MMS enabled in settings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.