Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Post Edited and Condensed due to Character Limit. New Features Red, Bold & Numbered (NF#).

All testers please feel free to post here as well. Question's will be answered to the best of my ability and within the limits of the Apple rules.

LAST UPDATE: 15 April 2009

1. A2DP NF#1:
a) Paired iSkin CERULEAN F1 Blue Tooth headphones with the following results: Unpair and pair again to the iPhone. I did not have to enter the 4 digit code again. Started the iPod, in the lower right corner is now a blue tooth icon. Tap icon and it brings up a menu to select listening choice. Selected the Cerulean headphones and music played in FULL STEREO to the headphones. There does seem to be some skipping if you move the iPhone around and/or use other apps. Had wife call while playing and the headset responded as a normal blue tooth headset would.

b) Paired the Jabra BT8010 Headphone/Set to the iPhone. The results were the same as above.

c) The Logitic FreePulse Wirelss Headphones did NOT connect.

d) UPDATE: APPLE BLUE TOOTH B2 BUG FIXED...Apple Bluetooth now syncs w/iPhone...Does NOT play music.

Beta 3 Update.... All Bluetooth Bugs have been fixed...so far!

2. SETTINGS:
a) GENERAL: "HOME BUTTON" now says HOME and lets you select two additional home choices...Search or Camera
NF#2 HOME-Adds a search control panel to allow user to select search criteria
"ABOUT" now has "Applications" count
"RESTRICTIONS" NF#3 PARENTAL CONTROL-User selects country to set ratings for Movies, TV Shows, Apps and the Explicit for the iPod. Ratings are country specific standards
NF#4 PROFILES-For Beta testers to show various profiles being used to test apps.

b) MAIL, CONTACTS, CALENDER:
Fetch/Push controls located here
NF#5 LOAD REMOTE IMAGES-(Posted by Ckd: NF#5) Related to Mail.app, if you turn off then it no longer automatically loads images in HTML emails; if you leave it on, you help spammers know which addresses are real by looking at their web logs.

NF#6 CalDAV setup is initiated by selecting "Add Account" & "Other". Choices are to add: Mail Account, LDAP Account, CalDAV Account, Subscribed Calendar. Instructions HERE to activate Google Calender. This frees up your one and only Exchange Account.

c) PHONE: NF#7 USER PHONE #This applies to MMS. When starting Messenging Application it requires Phone number in the Settings or it will not be able to use MMS Properly. (Posted by Hatrix76)

d) SAFARI:
NF#8 FRAUD WARNING Allows user to turn ON/OFF. Databases has been removed. (Posted by TheMBC)
NF#9 AUTOFILL allows users to select Contact Info, User Info, Names & Passwords to automatically remember and then fill in loggin information into social sites or accounts. This will show as an additional button on the loggin window.

e) NF#10 MESSAGES added to the menu. Allows user to select ON/OFF choices-Show Preview, Repeat Alert, MMS Messaging, Show Subject Field

f) iPOD: NF#11 SHAKE TO SHUFFLE, ON/OFF choice; Removed Audiobook Speed Settings

3. NF#12 3rd PARTY ACCESSORIES: Tested with iPod Radio controller and it does not work with 3.0. This was expected. B2 BUG...When plugged in, "This Accessory..." warning message did not pop. No other accessories to test.

4. CALENDER: Still syncs with Outlook 2003. Horizontal Keyboard Bug Fixxed for B2

5. CONTACTS:
NF#13 TEXT/SHARE/ADD to FAVORITES
Buttons located at the bottom of each contact.
NF#14 GLOBAL EXCHANGE ADDRESS BOOK: If Exchange Account is set up on phone then Global Address books shows at the bottom groups folder.
Usable in Landscape View.
3.0 Beta 1,2,3 BUG IN CONTACTS...Currently opens in alphabetical view regardless of last view...Needs to open in GROUPS or the last view that the user was using. VERY FRUSTRATING

6. CALCULATOR: No Changes

7. MAPS:
NF#15 TURN X TURN:
This new feature is NOT available at this time but available to develop new apps. Maps look cleaner/sharper.
If you enter a partial address (street name) it now asks "Did you mean?" and provides a list of options. (Posted by Tiguk)

8. PHOTOS: NF#16 Pictures in Camera Roll now back up and Restore when restoring with backup. Panning bug fixed.

9. CAMERA: NF#17 NEW PHOTO Image replaces camera roll icon in the lower left corner. Selecting opens to full screen for review. Images "appear" sharper and better quality compared to others already in my camera roll. No other features or changes noted.

10. NOTES:
NF#18 SYNC BACKUP
Notes now sync to Outlook 2003/7. Tested w/multiple notes on both platforms and had a successful sync each time.
NF#19 AUTO CONNECTs Phone # & Email when selected.

11. CLOCK: NF#20 TWO TIMERS. Lap counter is the small timer and the large timer shows real time. (Posted by Lambo)

12. WEATHER: No new features or changes.

13. VOICE MEMO NF#21: Notes are crisp and clear. At distance of 10-12 feet there was no loss in sound or clarity. Start/Pause button are shared. The Stop/Play button are shared. When replaying you can select speaker option. Edit options allow you to trim the memo and share by email. Label with pre-selects or custom label. You can NOT rename the file. Memos auto backup to iTunes during sync and stored in playlist folder called "Voice Memos". Deleting on the iPhone does NOT delete out of folder. App rotates so that iPhone mic is oriented toward speaker.

14. SPOTLIGHT NF#22 A FULL search option for iPhone. Search parameters are customizable under "Settings", "General", "Home", "Search Results" with 9 options. Search is activated by touching the TEENY TINY magnifying glass icon or swiping your home page to the right.

I would recommend that the icon changed and moved. It merges with page dots so needs to be moved to left approx 1/2" from edge and size doubled and colored blue or similar. The search function works very well and should meet the needs of those that are search fanatics.

15. IPOD: You do have to manually select your listening source if you plan to use A2DP, the headset controls do not start/stop/skip play. The bottom menu function has not changed and you are still able to select the 4 icons you use the most.

NF#23 SCRUBBER & FINE TUNNING control. User can control scrubber by sliding finger up/down on screen to increase/decrease play speed.

Audiobooks has two new features: Speed control is now selected here.
NF#24, 30 SECOND REPEAT. Rewinds book and podcasts 30 seconds for review.

Podcasts still has continuous play through all downloads, old to new. 30 sec repeat and email is also avail.
B2 BUG...The Group blue dot does not disappear after playing all podcasts in group.

NF#25 RETURN TO PREVIOUS MENU by swiping to the right on album cover while the playback indicator is up and returns to the previous menu. (Posted by TheSpaz)

16. APP & IPOD Store: NF#26 No longer need to tap to view screen shots of app. Screen shots are shown in a line left to right scroll at end of description. (Posted By Dejo)

17. STOCKS:
NF#27 GRAPH
displaying 1 Day to 2 Year profit/loss. Turn to landscape to view full size graph for selected stock.
NF# 28 Tap right side of a stock quote to toggle between value change and percent change. Shows market cap. (Posted by Dejo)

18. YOUTUBE: NF#29 ACCESS ONLINE SUBSCRIPTIONS: Open your accounts and create playlists and view your subscriptions. Blue Tooth functionality works.
B2 BUG... UNABLE to connect to Youtube.

19. KEYBOARD: Keyboard changes:

NF#30 LANDSCAPE KEYBOARD in All Native App. (Posted by TheSpaz)
1: Much less lag, feels smoother.
2: Condensed font and looks sharper.
3: Pop-up letters in landscape are fatter.
4: Predictive typing seems more accurate.
5: Keys in landscape mode are wider & closer together, similar to portrait keyboard.

20. SAFARI:
NF#31 CLOSE ALL OPEN WEB PAGES
now provides a blank page and bookmarks auto open when you reopen the app. (Posted by TheSpaz)
In landscape mode, the bottom bar is semi-transparent. However, in portrait mode, it's opaque.
B2 BUGHorizontal keyboard works but, if keyboard is up, will not rotate and is still slow to respond but previous bug fixed.
Copy/Paste works but is (IMO) a little quick to activate. Leaving finger on page for a sec or 2 now activates C/P. The delay should be slightly increased.
NF#32 WEB LINK MENU: Press & holding web page link in Safari, Menu will pop up to select: Open, Open in New Page or Copy Link. (Posted by Sean7512)

21. NF# 33 CUT/COPY/PASTE, SHAKE to Undo
NF#34 2 FINGER TAP selects entire paragraph.

22. NF#35 MMS Photo, Video & Audio: Carrier enabled. Camera next to input box. Select to choose preexisting pic or take a new one. Takes to camera mode, and after taking you can choose to send. Type a message w/picture that you want to MMS.

23. NF#36 PEER-TO-PEER CONNECTIVITY: Not available except for new development

24. NF#37 IN APP PURCHASES: Not currently available except for new development

25. NF#38 PUSH NOTIFICATION: Not currently available except for new

26. SMS: (Posted by Iphone Savvy)
1. Copy individual & multiple SMS messages & paste anywhere.
2. NF#39 DELETE INDIVIDUAL POSTS instead of whole conversation. Individual forwarding as well.
3. While a SMS is sending, new ones can be created. No longer locked on send screen.
4. NF#40 SMS/MMS FAILS TO SEND Red exclamation point is placed next to it. Selecting prompts to resend message or not.
5. Landscape view

27. NF#41 2 HOME SCREEN PAGES Added for a total of 11 or 180 Apps
NF#42 APP PLACING: New apps from the app store or that you add from iTunes now load on page 2 and keep page 1 blank spaces free. (Posted by thelordnyax)

28. PHONE:
NF#43 RECENTS CALL INFO
. Each recent call now shows what phone # was used for outgoing and incoming shows location it came from if known.
NF#44 CONTACTS EDIT can now be accomplished while in the phone app. (Posted by thelordnyax)

APPLICATIONS 3rd Party Native: I had to remove ALL Applications from my iPhone. I discovered that unkown apps were working with 3.0 but were causing memory leak and/or battery discharge. These apps were not totally shutting down because of the 3.0 changes...no ones fault. I will list those that I have added back in one at a time and monitored that work without any adverse affects on the memory and battery...

WORKING NORMAL: Flashlight; BillMinder; DebtFreedom; Listomni; AI Season 8; Pandora; American Heritage Dictionary; AlienSwarm; ooTunes; Bowman; CSON; Missile Command; Mondo; Moonlight; Galcon; iFishing; ER Ultimate; iLava; In Lights; FreshWater; KoiPond; Lightsaber; GALAGARemix

APPS THAT NEED TO BE UPDATED to work with 3.0:
Google Mobile: Drains Battery in all modes after connecting to your account. Even after closing Safari completely. Test results below.
Evernote: Will NOT load specific individual notes.
Ambiance: Just crashes instantly upon opening.
iTV: Will not lock into location and therefore cannot load TV schedule or Movies.
AppSniper: Will not complete sync. Locks up at 50% and then eventually crashes.
NowPlaying: Crashes as soon as you try to open.

BATTERY & MEMORY TEST: I have moved the test results HERE to free up character space.

wil49

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2009
Chester, UK
I actually believe this is one of the most worthwhile posts I seen for a long time.

With my 2.2.1 development its so frustrating not to be able to switch to 3.0 , hopefully I will be wrapped up by end of april.

Keep up the work buddy. :)

refulgentis

macrumors regular
May 14, 2006
Hmm...I wonder what would happen if you took a picture with the new Camera app. Maybe instead of the blank square it would show you a preview of the last picture you took?

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I am having a lot of issues with my 3.0 beta. The overall OS seems very slow and at times non-responsive. My sound comes and goes, and by sound I mean all sound, I cannot even play music from my iPod App and the iPod App itself takes a good 10 seconds to load for me. I have witnessed several graphical glitches with the new SMS App and eveytime I end a phone call the Volume OSD shows up now.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Hmm...I wonder what would happen if you took a picture with the new Camera app. Maybe instead of the blank square it would show you a preview of the last picture you took?

Did as you suggested and sure enough...the BLANK square in the lower left corner is now replaced with an image of the picture you just took. NICE CALL :)

In response to the post by jake921660 regarding NOTES SYNC:

I typed a note on the iPhone and I typed a note in Outlook 2003 then did a sync. After the sync the Notes App on the iPhone showed two entries...the one i originally typed and the one from outlook. On Outlook 2003 notes...it showed both notes...the one from the iPhone and the original I typed in Outlook.

Hope that answers the note and camera question.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
8) Camera...BUG...the icon is missing for camera roll and is a hollow square but camera still seems the same...will test and report if different.
As mentioned earlier, it's not a bug. The hollow square simply means an empty camera roll. Start shooting and see what happens. ;)

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I am having a lot of issues with my 3.0 beta. The overall OS seems very slow and at times non-responsive. My sound comes and goes, and by sound I mean all sound, I cannot even play music from my iPod App and the iPod App itself takes a good 10 seconds to load for me. I have witnessed several graphical glitches with the new SMS App and eveytime I end a phone call the Volume OSD shows up now.

Through my testing so far...The iPod App is VERY VERY VERY slow to load. Playing music on the external speaker seems fine...no problems so far. Using my blue tooth headphones I get skips every time i move the iPhone or use an app or even shift the screen. I believe this will be fixed with an update or two.

No graphic problems and have not tried SMS yet.

I have also used the FREEMEMORY app to insure that I have no memory problems. This may be a good thing to have as a beta tester of 3.0.

As mentioned earlier, it's not a bug. The hollow square simply means an empty camera roll. Start shooting and see what happens. ;)

Thank you...tested and corrected the entry and also had posted right above yours the results.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
1) Settings: Everything under settings looks and remains the same...so far. Have not dug into anything but first selection. All looks and runs the same.
:confused: The first thing I noticed when I opened Settings was that the Push settings were missing. They now are accessible in the Mail, Contacts, Calendars sub-menu.

stu212

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
I have updated, but i tried to downgrade didnt work.
oh well guess ill just have to buy the $99 sdk, would be good to get my hands on 3.0's new sdk features. Me and a friend have been working on a few apps in the latest free sdk.

Have you unlocked your iPhone's tethering capabilites yet?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
IMPORTANT NOTE: When I installed 3.0 and restored my back-up...it DID NOT put my apps back in order. It put my 6 original iPhone Apple apps on page one and then listed everything else Alphabetically starting on page 2. The bottom home bar remained the same. I had to reset everything starting on page 2-7...what a pain.
That's because when you restored, there were no apps currently installed, therefore, nothing to arrange. Try restoring, then syncing, then restoring again. ;)

ps. It's actually advisable to start fresh when moving to 3.0b, as restoring from previous version backups can introduce some odd behavior/bugs.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Sorry to say...they have always been there.
No, you're mistaken. The "Fetch New Data" sub-menu used to be found on the main Settings screen, as seen in the attached screenshot. It is now found in the Mail, Contacts, Calendars sub-menu.

(sorry the screenshot is so crappy, it's the first one I found through Google)

Attachments

• apple-iphone-os-20-fetch-push-email-2.jpg
    apple-iphone-os-20-fetch-push-email-2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 39,475

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
That's because when you restored, there were no apps currently installed, therefore, nothing to arrange. Try restoring, then syncing, then restoring again. ;)

ps. It's actually advisable to start fresh when moving to 3.0b, as restoring from previous version backups can introduce some odd behavior/bugs.

I totally agree with you and would normally start with a fresh load but was testing so that I could report the results for others.

Please Please do not turn this into a negative thread. I am trying to help users and report on what "I" find. Results may differ, this is my experience and I am doing it in good faith and do not appreciate nit picky tearing apart of what I say. If i am wrong, I am correcting what I post. Help me help others...Please!

There use to be a menu under Wi-Fi (I believe) that was called Push. It's not there anymore, rather in the settings for Mail, etc.

It has always been under mail. I use it and checked when I upgraded to insure it was still active and working. Its ok though cause with all there is, its easy to forget where something was. Its not a biggie and its still works and as you noted the push/fetch is found under Mail in settings.

No, you're mistaken. The "Fetch New Data" sub-menu used to be found on the main Settings screen, as seen in the attached screenshot. It is now found in the Mail, Contacts, Calendars sub-menu.

(sorry the screenshot is so crappy, it's the first one I found through Google)

I stand corrected and apologize to the other poster!!! :eek:
No one is perfect...just trying to do the best I can and help others. Give me a break and help, don't tear my thread apart, after all...we are only human and to error is human.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Update: Have been using my iSkin F1 Bluetooth and iPod for 1 hour and 18 minutes and battery stands at 89%.

Have Brightness at 75%, Fetch On, WiFi On, On Edge, NOT 3G. Have had one lock up while running. Also see a massive memory leaks on 3.0 using FreeMemory to monitor. I can free 20mb and watch it go back down to 3-4mb.
Free it up again and within 5 seconds it is back down to 3-4mb.

Bluetooth A2DP is outstanding and working very well...I missed it so much and now am in seventh heaven!!!!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Hey, I thought the maps had Turn by Turn...like in the Apple video, Google Maps had areas and a speedometer and stuff. Where's that?

hard-case

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
Had wife call while playing and the headset responded as a normal blue tooth headset would. She answered and could hear normal as could I.

Thanks for the rather concise review. Just had a quick question about the above....when you say "as a normal bluetooth headset would", do you mean it played a standard headset ringtone, or did it actually play your set phone ringtone or contact ringtone. Just curious.

Also, has anyone noticed if there's a setting to change the background? I'm pretty sure that got a passing mention at the presentation and was wondering if it made it into the beta...

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Hey, I thought the maps had Turn by Turn...like in the Apple video, Google Maps had areas and a speedometer and stuff. Where's that?

PLEASE SEE ABOVE...Have updated there and removed old data from here.

Thanks for the rather concise review. Just had a quick question about the above....when you say "as a normal bluetooth headset would", do you mean it played a standard headset ringtone, or did it actually play your set phone ringtone or contact ringtone. Just curious.

Also, has anyone noticed if there's a setting to change the background? I'm pretty sure that got a passing mention at the presentation and was wondering if it made it into the beta...

I had to test again to answer your question. I have a personal music clip set for my wife (Mississippi Girl) and when it came over the blue tooth it was a rapid beeping sound, not the sound clip I had created.

The answer to your second question is also NO. The background/wallpaper settings remain the same.

Hope that answers your questions.

I have updated Blue Tooth testing results with 3 headsets.
I also completely went through Settings and have added the results to the post.

Updates are on page one, first entry of this thread.

Enjoy

Mobile923

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
ive noticed this problem with Photos, i dunno if it's just my iPhone

i used to be able to zoom in a photo and and pan/swipe around within the photo... not the case in 3.0

anyone else?

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
ive noticed this problem with Photos, i dunno if it's just my iPhone

i used to be able to zoom in a photo and and pan/swipe around within the photo... not the case in 3.0

anyone else?

You are correct. You can pinch to zoom but the picture no longer moves after you have expanded it. The pictures also look fuzzy again. Double tap also still enlarges and then reduces but that is it. No panning on a zoomed picture:(

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
You are correct. You can pinch to zoom but the picture no longer moves after you have expanded it. The pictures also look fuzzy again. Double tap also still enlarges and then reduces but that is it. No panning on a zoomed picture:(

Why would they remove that feature? That's just plain stupid to me.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
By the way... To restore the icons in the original locations without manually moving them all around just do this:

Restore your backup and wait for iTunes to copy a of your apps over in alphabetical order.

Then right click your iPhone in iTunes and choose "Restore from Backup" and restore from the backup you chose the first time. Since the apps are already installed, they'll go right back in place.

ckd

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
b) Mail, Contacts, Calender: Fetch/Push controls now located here; NF#5 Load Remote Images
-I have not figured out what this is yet and if someone knows then I will post it here or continue testing until I figure it out.
That's most likely the same thing Mail.app has, which is that (if you turn that off) it no longer automatically loads images in HTML emails; if you leave it on, you can help the spammers know which addresses are real by looking at their web logs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.