Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfrieb23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Bay Area
I have a black macbook.

Today i turned on my macbook and nothing would open.

It would say application unexpectedly quit so i tried to reopen and it wouldnt.

Anything i tried to open i would get this notification.

i have reset the ram, rebooted in to single user and nothingworks.

i have an english essay due tomorrow and a spanish project due thursday.

I NEED HELP HOW DO I FIX THIS....I DO NOT HAVE THE OS.X DISC OR ANNOTHER MAC...i am writing this on my parents pc.:apple:

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
If you dont have the disk, how did you come into possession of a black macbook.. the disk comes with the computer. if not you should go back to the store you got it from.

What operating system are you running at?? Tiger? or Leopard?
try repairing permissions> disk utility-select HD-repair permissions.

To be honest i think it sounds like an install problem, thus requiring the disk..

You can try opening up the finder-applications folder, right click and see if you have permissions to modify that folder.

At the end of the day, im still confused as to how you have a macbook with no disk..

jfrieb23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Bay Area
If you dont have the disk, how did you come into possession of a black macbook.. the disk comes with the computer. if not you should go back to the store you got it from.

What operating system are you running at?? Tiger? or Leopard?
try repairing permissions> disk utility-select HD-repair permissions.

To be honest i think it sounds like an install problem, thus requiring the disk..

You can try opening up the finder-applications folder, right click and see if you have permissions to modify that folder.

At the end of the day, im still confused as to how you have a macbook with no disk..

i do not have it with me i ment...and i cant open anything...i mean anything..i cant open the disc utility.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If you dont have the disk, how did you come into possession of a black macbook..

Why? People lose their install disks, stash them where they can't find them, throw them away, buy a secondhand Mac unwittingly without the install disks... the list is endless, as anyone who has spent any time on this forum knows. This is not a productive line of enquiry.

To the OP: Is every app doing the same thing on your Mac? Have you tried creating a new user account (System Preferences>Accounts) and logging into that and opening the same apps from there?

jfrieb23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Bay Area
Why? People lose their install disks, stash them where they can't find them, throw them away, buy a secondhand Mac unwittingly without the install disks... the list is endless, as anyone who has spent any time on this forum knows. This is not a productive line of enquiry.

To the OP: Is every app doing the same thing on your Mac? Have you tried creating a new user account (System Preferences>Accounts) and logging into that and opening the same apps from there?

I CANT OPEN ANYTHING...NOT EVEN THE FINDER...NOT ONE THING...and my disk isnt with me right now i am not at home

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London

That maybe true, but it wasnt exactly clear what the situation was..I tend to keep my install disks with me if im at a different house of residence.. i.e uni. You never know what could happen.

Anywho..i wouldn't quite know what to do in that situation other than get the disks out and reinstall, therefore my knowledge of troubleshooting without the disks is somewhat limited and thus ran out.

My last suggestion would be to try booting in safe mode this link should help
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455?viewlocale=en_US

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
This is why you do not buy Macintoshes. Windows XP is for the win.

Hows that work? i had alot more errors happen to me when trying to do things in windows, XP or vista.. my first experience in vista was when it couldnt read my USB stick, my dad then spent half an hour quitting and restarting the machine.. I have never had anything that simple happen to me in mac.. I screwed up the permissions once which meant that it couldnt boot up. n thats it, that was 2 n half years ago now.. So by my figures, thats why you dont buy windows, Mac is for the win

At the end of the day its all about perception, what do you need to get the job done.. etc etc.. i need protools, and decent graphics which in my opinion work better on mac, thus i went with apple.. haven't looked back at all :)

Asides from that, the fact is, that doesnt help the OP in solving his problem.

pinoyplaya

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
the only thing I know how to troubleshoot on a mac is that if the mouse doesn't seem to work, you have to switch the "HOLD" switch next to the headphone jack. :)

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
the only thing I know how to troubleshoot on a mac is that if the mouse doesn't seem to work, you have to switch the "HOLD" switch next to the headphone jack. :)

What mac do you have that has a hold switch next to the headphone jack? Are you sure you don't mean your iPod and the click wheel?

creon

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
If all else fails...

Take it to the Apple Store.

One of the many reasons why i bought a Mac...no more talking to Kuhmar in Delhi about my PC!:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.