Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sactown

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
How do I change my default video player from quick time to something else like divx player or VLC? Thanks.

RonCarr

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Pasadena, CA
Well one way you can do it is to right click on the video file and click Get Info then go to the Open With drop down menu and choose the app you want to use. After doing this click the Change All button and all files in that format will open withe the selected app. You will have to do this for all of your different video file types.

sactown

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Yeah I saw that I can change the default player for single files, but I didnt think about applying it to all. I suppose that will work as a temporary fix, but I cant believe that there isnt a way to change the default application. This is easily done in windows.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
If you hit "Change All" it will change the default application for you for all of your videos with that extension (e.g. .avi, .mpeg, etc.).

sactown

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Great! That worked. Thanks. Not a very intuitive way of getting that done though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.