Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

easy-mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Yesterday I went to the Apple Store because I was constantly missing calls on my iPhone and the Genius ran an evaluation on my phone and determined that my antenna was faulty and replaced my iPhone. This new iPhone seems to be of even better quality than the one it replaced (no gap between the metal rim and the screen, etc.), but there is one problem with it, and for me it's a pretty big problem. I always like to keep my phone in silent mode with the alert set to vibrate, but with this iPhone I can barely feel, or let alone hear, the vibration. So far I've missed 4 calls since yesterday while the phone was sitting right next to me because I didn't hear it vibrating. Is there any way to increase the vibration intensity? Otherwise what can I do? I suppose that I could take the phone back and ask for another one, but if there's another solution I'd like to try that first. Any ideas?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Yesterday I took my iPhone in because I was constantly missing calls. They ran an evaluation on my phone and determined that my antenna was faulty and replaced my iPhone. Now I'm very happy with this iPhone with the exception of one thing. I always keep my phone in silent mode with the alert set to vibrate, but with this iPhone I can barely hear or even feel the vibration. So far I've missed 4 calls in the last day while the phone has been sitting right next to me because I didn't hear it vibrating. I s there any way to increase the vibration intensity? Otherwise what can I do? I suppose that I could take the phone back and ask for another one, but if there's another solution I'd like to try that first. Any ideas?

I noticed that the 3G's vibration isn't as strong as the original iPhone's vibration. There is no way to increase it and I don't think a replacement is going to help. I've had 4 iPhone 3Gs and they've all felt about the same.

easy-mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I noticed that the 3G's vibration isn't as strong as the original iPhone's vibration. There is no way to increase it and I don't think a replacement is going to help. I've had 4 iPhone 3Gs and they've all felt about the same.

I just find it odd that this iPhone 3G's vibration is much much weaker than the iPhone 3G it replaced. The old one wasn't that strong to begin with, but this one's vibrations seem extremely weak. I can't really decide whether or not to take it back to the Genius and request another one. I suppose I may just ask about it and see what they say. I have to go back to the Apple Store anyway to get another screen protector because I forgot to remove mine from my old phone.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
There's a program called "Vibrus" via Cydia on a jailbroken iPhone, which emulates tactile feedback by giving little vibrations when you type on the keyboard - the intensity of the vibration can be controlled. I don't know whether the program works for calls as well.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=545

The only caveat is that it applies to every vibration notification on the phone - calls, texts, IM programs, etc. But it definitely makes the vibration much more noticeable, so it's worth it.

Sorry if I didn't follow, but can I follow the instructions on that page if I haven't jailbroken my phone? I've been looking to increase the vibration without jb too.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
That's not what the OP was asking for. He wants to increase the vibration, not put more vibration in.

And I've tried all the JB Vibration apps, you can notice that the vibration starts after you've already typed. Not good.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
That's not what the OP was asking for. He wants to increase the vibration, not put more vibration in.

And I've tried all the JB Vibration apps, you can notice that the vibration starts after you've already typed. Not good.
I know it's not exactly what he wanted, but I haven't found anything that actually increases the intensity (and I've looked, because I want it too). Increasing the duration is the next best thing. If you know how to increase the intensity, please enlighten us.

theDUB

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2008
SLT, CA
...I always like to keep my phone in silent mode with the alert set to vibrate, but with this iPhone I can barely feel, or let alone hear, the vibration. So far I've missed 4 calls since yesterday while the phone was sitting right next to me because I didn't hear it vibrating. Is there any way to increase the vibration intensity? Otherwise what can I do? I suppose that I could take the phone back and ask for another one, but if there's another solution I'd like to try that first. Any ideas?

What?! The purpose of the vibration is to feel it. If the phone isn't on your person the vibration is not meant to alert you.

I would say the solution to your problem is pretty simple: turn on the ringer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.