Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feelfree82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Hello,

Need help in figuring out if this kind of an application is possible/ already exists on iPhone.

App Name: Dont Misplace Me

Idea: App will help you in regarding misplacing your of phone.

Execution: App will be installed on ur laptop & ur phone both. You can configure one of the keys on the lappy to detect where you kept your phone. On click of the key on the laptop, phone will start buzzing.

The other way to use the app is while you are outdoor. Set up the app at a certain temp (like if the phone goes in your pocket/ purse then that temp.) Phone remains at the set temp you have set for the app. If the temp. changes drastically (X degrees + / -) & the phone is unattained for X amount mins, the phone starts vibrating 1st n if still unattained , starts buzzing.

PS: May be its a stupid idea, but thought of bouncing off to u all rather than keeping it to myself. Lemme know.

Amit
PEACE

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
There's a similar App in the world of Jailbreak.

You can locate exactly where the phone is from your computer, and do other functions such as wiping all data on the device.

Also, aren't Apple releasing something similar with 3.0?

Well these are the problems/issues I see with it.

The finder buzzer: Why can't you just call it? If you were able to find some way to make it RING while on SILENT using this app then that would be one thing. But otherwise I'm not seeing much benefit (other than just keeping it on constantly).

The heat sensor: If you leave your phone somewere (like your car) and it starts buzzing, you won't be there to know that it is buzzing!! So I don't see how that helps!

PLUS, from my understanding BOTH of these applications of it would be against the SDK!!!! Because they would both require the app to be running in the background. So I don't even think they are able to be made on a nonjb phone... maybe that's just my simple non-developer thoughts tho...

good luck! :)

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Hello,

Need help in figuring out if this kind of an application is possible/ already exists on iPhone.

App Name: Dont Misplace Me

Idea: App will help you in regarding misplacing your of phone.

Execution: App will be installed on ur laptop & ur phone both. You can configure one of the keys on the lappy to detect where you kept your phone. On click of the key on the laptop, phone will start buzzing.

The other way to use the app is while you are outdoor. Set up the app at a certain temp (like if the phone goes in your pocket/ purse then that temp.) Phone remains at the set temp you have set for the app. If the temp. changes drastically (X degrees + / -) & the phone is unattained for X amount mins, the phone starts vibrating 1st n if still unattained , starts buzzing.

PS: May be its a stupid idea, but thought of bouncing off to u all rather than keeping it to myself. Lemme know.

Amit
PEACE

A few remarks:

1. This isn't a bad idea. Apple is actually implementing this with MobileMe. You can locate your iPhone through MobileMe with 3.0.

2. I don't exactly see the difference in this and calling it.

3. The temperature thing is just not practical.
a) I can't see how it will be implemented
b) Temperature will be a variable. It can increase and decrease in your pocket, given change in location, body activity etc...

Liam8

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2009
Canada
Good Idea

I like that idea, there were some comments about it being useless but I would get it. Just make sure it is compatible with an iPod touch by using bluetooth or something with the new OS 3.0 coming out...

GREAT IDEA!!!:D

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
There's a similar App in the world of Jailbreak.

You can locate exactly where the phone is from your computer, and do other functions such as wiping all data on the device.

Also, aren't Apple releasing something similar with 3.0?

What app is that? :) sounds nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.