Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
You tried 20 songs by an admittedly obscure artist and decided you should warn others of this faulty software? Man thanks for the informative opinion.

Actually I did not admit to 20 songs from obscure artists, unless you consider main stream contemporary jazz obscure.

My results have been WORSE on obscure artists.

In addition-to the poster that has said I haven't contacted the publisher-how do YOU KNOW that?

This is what I mean about hostile posters.

If you are not adding to the discussion, why bother? This forum isn't supposed to be a flame fest. The fact is NO ONE HERE except me knows what I have and haven't done. I have IN FACT contacted the tech support several times with no reply.

In addition, the main issue here is that Tune-Up is sold as a wonder product. This quote is from their website:

Your music collection is a mess. TuneUp fixes it. Automagically

This is the URL that text is taken from:

http://www.tuneupmedia.com/mac/

So-again, if you don't have something to add to the conversation-why bother? And don't presume to know what I have or haven't done with Tune-Up, its technical support department, or my iTunes library.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
While I never intended to purchase Tune-Up, I did download it, and love it. I recently combined our family libraries so we all had the same series of music. My dad had a horrible habit of changing the song information so it was nearly complete unintelligible. Thankfully Tune-Up is helping me fix this problem. I have zero intention of letting it take over my whole library, but on a song-by-song basis, it seems to work quite well.

TEG

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
While I never intended to purchase Tune-Up, I did download it, and love it. I recently combined our family libraries so we all had the same series of music. My dad had a horrible habit of changing the song information so it was nearly complete unintelligible. Thankfully Tune-Up is helping me fix this problem. I have zero intention of letting it take over my whole library, but on a song-by-song basis, it seems to work quite well.

TEG

That is good to know-and since I have paid for the unlimited use, I may try that method. I have so many songs, by doing it this way I am committing myself to a several week long project at the very least. I bought TU because I DIDN'T want to spend the time...

TEG-You really live in Langley? Great town! I am not too far away-straight across the water...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Wonder why so many thread respondants were all high and mighty in their put downs to the OP? Seems like he's not the only one not keen on the software. Strange.

It's FYI on a better method.

You can interpret it whatever way you want, but I did NOT say
You are an idi0t for buying it. (and should not be interpret it as such)

I said, next time, read some reviews before buying something, as the reviews did brought up issues with the software.

My Bad-For whatever reason I didn't even think about looking at Macupdate. A great resource, and one I use too infrequently...

It helps to read up on reviews. Definitely helps if you want good software. =)

Not a face palm. Just some info that I hope is useful.

dbell

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
You know, it's pretty simple to check the contents of the CD against your own records and previously-imported files, and then correct them before importing them again. Don't try and blame a piece of software for your inattentiveness.

Subtext: Don't break our sponsors balls and tell people they have ****** software. :p

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
unless you consider main stream contemporary jazz obscure

All Jazz is obscure if you ask me... :p Oh your not asking? Fair enough ;)

Seriously though, I recommend SongGenie, in my experience it works well and doesn't immediately update the iTunes library directly, giving you the opportunity to check each entry before making the change permanent. Give it a go, it may save your sanity when repairing the rest of your iTunes library.

Mafio

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2006
Reading
Enigmafan420 try fix tunes!!!! It's fantastic:)

I got it last week and my library it's perfect now.

Just get the trial and give it a go!

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
All Jazz is obscure if you ask me... :p Oh your not asking? Fair enough ;)

Seriously though, I recommend SongGenie, in my experience it works well and doesn't immediately update the iTunes library directly, giving you the opportunity to check each entry before making the change permanent. Give it a go, it may save your sanity when repairing the rest of your iTunes library.

LOL-this is the type of flaming I am okay with :)

I will check out the Song Genie-what I am really hoping to find is something that I don't have to do a LOT of babysitting on-if I need to do a lot of babysitting, I may as well just manually do it.

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
LOL-this is the type of flaming I am okay with :)

I will check out the Song Genie-what I am really hoping to find is something that I don't have to do a LOT of babysitting on-if I need to do a lot of babysitting, I may as well just manually do it.

No library organiser is truly automatic if you want accuracy. Having said that, SG is the best I've seen yet. It's a free trial (no I don't work for Equinux, just a fan of their work) ;)

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I have a 37 gig music library with mostly mainstream stuff, some japanese and some just plain weird. Yesterday I saw an ad for it and downloaded the trial. I tried it on 100 files, misnamed and some as just 'track 1' etc and it worked extremely well. I did do my research and checked out a few of the reviews, most simply stated that for the price it was quite steep in that your paying yearly (or once) for what is a gracenote front end, but it makes up for it by having the artist information which i've found usefull for a few of my tracks.

However, i've given it about 1000 tracks so far (bought it this morning) and the software is extremely buggy. After about 150 tracks it'll effectively quit on me. It will not let me clear out items it cannot find, and when I tell it to scan new tracks, say 100, it will automatically say "cannot be found". I'll then have to restart itunes which may or may not work.

So for me, when it works, it works ok. The random shut downs are really starting to be a bother, and i'm starting to wonder if wells fargo may help me recoup some of my costs. The trial worked great, but it didn't have the random shutdown issue even though i'm importing files in the same fashion. Perhaps this is a me issue, and if its fixable, this software will be a great tool in my box, but for now its a waste of cash.

tuneup

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2008
TuneUp

Wow so many differing opinions about our program. It’s good to hear the feedback but I want to address a few things if I can.

@Enigmafan -Sorry to hear that your experience has been less than stellar. Such being said, I'm not 100% sure what happened with your music library. When you clean files with TuneUp the user chooses which results they want to save and which ones they don't. Basically, TuneUp won't touch any of your files without you telling it to. We specifically created TuneUp this way to make sure that users didn't end up results like the ones you're complaining about. If you want to PM me, we can take care of this offline - would be more than happy to give you a refund. Additionally - TuneUp has an "Undo" feature which should be able to restore your old metadata (more about that here: www.tuneupmedia.com/forum/faq.php?faq=clean).

@ txr0ckabilly – Thanks for the love - we appreciate it. 

@ Consultant - we've made a number of updates since the majority of those reviews were posted that have addressed 90% of these issues.

@Eddyisgreat - TuneUp's performance greatly depends on how much RAM you have available. This might be the problem? If you can PM me details, would love to send them over to our Support Team to get them sorted out for you.

Finally - We offer a pretty robust free trial (100 free song clean ups / 50 pieces of album art). If you are or were interested in buying TuneUp, I would recommend downloading the free version and making your own assessment. While I realize that the software isn't perfect, I can say that the vast majority of the feedback that we get is positive. As I mentioned to Enigmafan - TuneUp won't edit anything without you telling it to.

I'll be around if you guys have any questions, gripes, etc...

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Refunded

WOW!

I will now give kudos to tuneup software. Without my asking, they have refunded the purchase price.

It was NEVER my intention to get a refund. I certainly was blowing off steam, but sometimes you get poor software and I did not EXPECT a refund. I had just chalked another one up to "experience".

Thank you to tune-up for this.

To put my closure on this-if you have obscure music, it may just be better to do it by hand. After my rant of the other day, I did some examination of the Gracenote database (http://www.cddb.com) and it is clear to me that likely MOST of the errors originated from that database.

There is truth, however, to those that claim the software runs slowly or seems to quit responding. That has been my experience was well.

That being said-I did not expect a refund and feel bad about getting it. Tune-up, you did NOT have to do this-thank you! You are a class act!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm sorry that your failure to do so resulted in things going awry, but blaming software for your own failures and trying to publicly persuade others there is something wrong with the software....

Yes it would have been reasonable for the OP to have backed up his library BEFORE turning loose some new-to-him automation on it. In fact I'd argue it was dumb not to back it up first.

But even so a negative review is helpful to others.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
Wonder why so many thread respondants were all high and mighty in their put downs to the OP? Seems like he's not the only one not keen on the software. Strange.

That type of tone can be pretty common on this forum. I love the forum and use it a lot, but there are a handful of folks that take some of the fun out of it.

Thanks OP for posting this - I was actually at the site and ready to click download. Then it hit me to do some research before I buy. I'm glad I did!

CapNHerb

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
Gainesville
hmm

Well my issue was that I had a ton of songs that were just track 1 through whatever and my CDs are everywhere so this program worked pretty fricken well..
well on my MacBook Pro its pretty slow but I've only got 2 gigs of ram on here...on my newly built 3.2ghz dual core w/8gigs it works awesome! It shows me where concerts are, I learn more stuff about my music than I ever have, and its added more than 300 album covers. I was kinda pissed that I didn't buy it while it was $20 instead of $30 but its worth it...I'm actually just trying to find out if its worth buying on my macs also instead of having to deal with doing it all on one computer and transferring.

btw...lmao at the guy that re-imported 400CDs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.