Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QueenZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Hey
So i went out to update my web browser from Opera 9 to Opera 10 alpha. So i downloaded .dmg file and it said to copy it to applications folder so i did, then it asked me if i want to replace old version, i said yes and then i started my Opera and found all my bookmarks skins and settings gone.. :( So i had to add my bookmarks again etc.. :( Why?? :( What could i do to save it but still get Opera 10?? This is really weird. I think that all bookmark settings and such were stored in Opera.app and now when i deleted it it's all gone.. :( Have you guys ever experienced something like this?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
The files are stored in the preferences folder /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Opera Preferences/Bookmarks.

There should also be the skins in there as well.

When I put Opera 10.0a on my system I renamed it so I could keep the old 9.6x on my machine. I found that there were no preferences/skins etc. kept over. I personally use Opera Link so just set up syncronisation with 10 and most things came back down to my machine.

I imagine you can import the old bookmarks from that file.

QueenZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
OK, that's great but why did i lose all bookmarks in first place? Does Opera 10 store them somewhere else? And all my settings.. and browsing history.. it's all gone.. :(

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
OK, that's great but why did i lose all bookmarks in first place? Does Opera 10 store them somewhere else? And all my settings.. and browsing history.. it's all gone.. :(

Opera 10 stores its preferences in the folder "Opera Preferences 10" rather than "Opera Preferences". I think this is by design at this stage as it is not meant as a day to day use for this point in its life (first public alpha). I expect by the time that Opera 10 is actually released (late next year) then issues such as this will not be a problem.

You could try copying everything over. I would suggest setting up an Opera Link account, great if you have different computers.

QueenZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Opera 10 stores its preferences in the folder "Opera Preferences 10" rather than "Opera Preferences". I think this is by design at this stage as it is not meant as a day to day use for this point in its life (first public alpha). I expect by the time that Opera 10 is actually released (late next year) then issues such as this will not be a problem.

You could try copying everything over. I would suggest setting up an Opera Link account, great if you have different computers.

Just like Firefox.. silly me.. Thanks, that explains everything ;)

macagawea

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
Can't find lost bookmarks file

I have followed all the directions I can find here and from opera help but can't find the bookmarks file opera6.adr. There is no file with the .adr at all. Any suggestions?

I lost them when updating opera to latest version. Ugh.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Which version did you upgrade to: 9.64, 10 (6284) 10 Turbo (6265)? and which version did you upgrade from?

The bookmarks, I believe, are actually stored in a file called bookmarks.adr

In Opera type

opera:about

This will display a screen with various pieces of information such as

Preferences - /Users/rich/Library/Preferences/Opera Preferences 10/Opera 9 Preferences
Saved session - /Users/rich/Library/Preferences/Opera Preferences 10/Sessions/autopera.win
Bookmarks - /Users/rich/Library/Preferences/Opera Preferences 10/bookmarks.adr
Opera directory - /Users/rich/Library/Preferences/Opera Preferences 10/
Cache - /Users/rich/Library/Caches/Opera 10/Cache/
Help documents - /Users/rich/Library/Caches/Opera 10/CacheOp/Cache/
Mail directory - /Users/rich/Library/Application Support/Opera 10/Mail/
Plug-in path - /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/
User CSS directory - /Users/rich/Library/Preferences/Opera Preferences 10/Styles/user/

I am using Opera 10 so yours may look a little different but should be similar.

Where does it report your bookmarks are kept? Can you have a look in the Opera preferences folder to see if there is anything called bookmarks?

macagawea

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
Found bookmarks but still not there

Thank you for your help xUKHCx.

I had 9.63 and I thought I was upgrading to 9.64. When I couldn't find my bookmarks I went back to 9.63 thinking maybe I would see them again. :) Can you tell I'm not too computer saavy? Now I think that made it harder to find the right Preferences file.

I looked where you suggested and found the

/Users/macagawea/Library/Preferences/Opera Preferences/Bookmarks

In the Preferences file I found the Opera Preferences and then the Bookmarks. I looked inside and it only had the ones it comes with - not my extensive list. BUT, strangely, also inside the Preferences was an Opera 10 Preferences, too. (I could have sworn I was going to 9.64 - on my HD there is something for 9.63 setup and also 9.64 setup but I don't see anything for 10.)

I looked inside and BEHOLD, there were my precious bookmarks!!!

What do I do now?

Last edited by a moderator:

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Thank you for your help xUKHCx.

I had 9.63 and I thought I was upgrading to 9.64. When I couldn't find my bookmarks I went back to 9.63 thinking maybe I would see them again. :) Can you tell I'm not too computer saavy? Now I think that made it harder to find the right Preferences file.

I looked where you suggested and found the

/Users/macagawea/Library/Preferences/Opera Preferences/Bookmarks

In the Preferences file I found the Opera Preferences and then the Bookmarks. I looked inside and it only had the ones it comes with - not my extensive list. BUT, strangely, also inside the Preferences was an Opera 10 Preferences, too. (I could have sworn I was going to 9.64.)

I looked inside and BEHOLD, there were my precious bookmarks!!!

Strange, I really don't think it should've done that unless you had switched up to a 10 alpha. But to do that you would've had to have gone onto their blog and found the link for them which I doubt you did but

That is strange. I know in the Opera 10 alphas they have been changing where the preferences are stored but I don't think it should effect Opera 9.6x. Oh well at least you have found your bookmarks.

What do I do now?

You sould be able to copy it to Opera Preferences folder.

Or you could import them into Opera by the following

In Opera

File - Import and Export - Import Opera Bookmarks

Side Note: Do you have Opera Link setup? If not it is something worthwhile in my opinion. It is really useful if you have two or more computers but still with one computer it does have benefits. What this service does is keep a record of your bookmarks, speed dial, notes, searches and a few other items in a secure place online. If you have two computers with this setup any changes you make on one will be reflected on the other. To set it up go to File - Synchronize Opera (have to set up an account).

Even if you have one computer it is just an extra safe guard for items such as bookmarks.

Last edited by a moderator:

macagawea

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
A little uncertain

You are such a help, xUKHCx, thank you.

Since I went back to 9.63, should I first download opera 10? From Opera.com? When I go there I just see a download for 9.64 for my Mac OS X.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Opera 10 is currently in alpha stage which means it is in pre-release as they deem it too unstable and buggy for release. When you download it they present you a warning such as this

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: it contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

So basically it is not meant for general purpose but for development and bug testing. Opera 10 is sheduled to come out towards the end of the year. As of yet it does not have many changes over 9.6x as the end user features have yet to be released in alpha/beta stage. There are some background changes but it is a little unstable (for example it crashes very easily in google street view)

Here is the page for Opera 10 if you are interested and they give updates every now and again on their blog but as suggested stick with 9.64.

I do not know why the update to 9.64 caused a preference folder change to Opera 10 but I don't think it should've done.

I would stick to Opera 9.64 as it is the latest version of Opera that users should be using.

Oh, forgot earlier but hello and welcome to the forums. :)

macagawea

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
Opera 10 Turbo

I googled Opera 10 download and saw turbo. Is this what I should get? Looks awesome.

Oops, I didn't see your response as I typed my last entry. Sorry.

Thank you again for all your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.