Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
First of all is this an iBook G3? I am totally new to Apple in general other than my iPhone.

IMG00013.jpg

IMG00012.jpg

So this will be my first mac. It is being offered for $100 because the screen will no longer show. The seller says he can sometimes get the screen to come on but not for longer than five minutes. Is it worth it to pick up and mess around with and try to fix? How much will it cost to fix if I take it in somewhere?

Quote from seller:
"The screen just shows up blank. When I turn it on the battery has a full charge and the noise works when I power it. I've got the screen to work a couple times but it wouldn't last long and go blank 5 minutes after...I'm pretty sure its a iBook G3, it has a 12" screen."

Anything else I need to know?

cjsmx65

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
PA
it's hard to tell. Its either a late model g3 or a g4, and for $100 id say its worth it to see if you can fix it. Im not sure what the cost to fix it would be though, it would depend on whats wrong with it

JH-

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Any ideas on how much it would cost to fix/what it would entail?

seamus26

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
Any ideas on how much it would cost to fix/what it would entail?

There was a video chip problem with some of the earlier iBooks. My mother went through that problem, but it was covered under a quietly published recall. Check this link out here :

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

There was a certain range of serial numbers that were covered, but that has since ended. If that's the problem it could be pricey to repair, maybe more than it's worth. Best of luck!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
it's hard to tell. Its either a late model g3 or a g4, and for $100 id say its worth it to see if you can fix it. Im not sure what the cost to fix it would be though, it would depend on whats wrong with it

The G4s don't have the translucent keyboard and they say "iBook G4" on the bezel; it's a G3...
IBook_G4.jpg

kge420

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
JH- At $100 plus the cost of repair you would be running up against a working model which are going for $200 to $250 in my area. When considering taking on a project such as this be sure to factor in the value of the machine when you are finished. That said, I have an iBook G3 700mHz that I hardly use but can't seem to bring myself to part with. A good overall design I think. Good luck, Keith

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Well, based on the fact that the apple logo is modified, unless it is a sticker, they probably screwed something up on the lcd in the process of doing the mod... just a thought, be it helpful or not.

rakkathon

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2009
What do you have to do to make the screen work? Really need some more info here. Can you plug in an external monitor and have it work? Does the screen work for a few minutes and then fail when you turn on the computer? or does it not work at all most of the times you boot it up? Does the screen respond if you open and close the lid multiple times? Does light pressure on the edges of the screen make a difference?

Your problem could be something as costly as a logic board failure or something as simple as a bad flex cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.