Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karansehgal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Hi Guys!

How can I use my own MP3 songs as iPhone ringtones?
It was very easy in Nokia handsets. You could select any song from music library and set as a ringtone.
But it seems like it is not as simple as that in iPhone.

Any ideas?

Tom

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Hi Guys!

How can I use my own MP3 songs as iPhone ringtones?
It was very easy in Nokia handsets. You could select any song from music library and set as a ringtone.
But it seems like it is not as simple as that in iPhone.

Any ideas?

Tom

Because you can't without jailbreaking :)

Actually, if you have a Mac there is a workaround. Using GarageBand you can save your own music as a ringtone, then import it to iTunes.

someonevague

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
it is actually quite simple. in itunes right click and select get info, then select the options tab and choose the 30-40 second clip of the song you want to be your ringtone then right click the song, convert to AAC. then go to like start - search (on a windows, or use spotlight on a mac), and type in the song title. the one that comes up songtitle.m4a, rename it as songtitle.m4r, and then import it into itunes.

viola!

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile

Actually, if you have a Mac there is a workaround. Using GarageBand you can save your own music as a ringtone, then import it to iTunes.

That's exactly What I've been doing since i got my macbook, I still haven't got an iPhone (I'm waiting for the new one), but I already have more than 100 ringtones made out of my favorite songs!

Snuff

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2009
I just made my ringtone nsync's "bye bye bye". As a PUA, its perfect for me to pick up HB's.

All I need is a wingman to call me just at the right moment.. when that bad boy starts a jumpin' aint noone can resist shakin' their butt to it.
emot-smug.gif

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
anyone tried Audiko.net? It seems pretty straight forward and easy to use.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

This isn't a "workaround," it's been available and sanctioned by Apple for a while.

Aj2488

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
mobile17.com is similar to audiko... browse and upload your mp3's then select the time during the song you wish for the ringtone to start and how long you want it to play for. within the hour you'll usually have it back to you by message to your phone or email which you can then sync to the phone using itunes. very good quality as well.

nopassn

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2009
Kansas City
anyone tried Audiko.net? It seems pretty straight forward and easy to use.

I've been using it - seems to work very well. I've only got one problem with the ringtones... no matter what I do, I can only get one on my phone at a time. Any time I add a 2nd (or more) ringtone, it syncs, but then when I pull up the ringtones on the phone it just shows multiple copies (how ever many ringtones I loaded) of the first ringtone I loaded. Kinda jacked up - any one else have this problem?

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
it is actually quite simple. in itunes right click and select get info, then select the options tab and choose the 30-40 second clip of the song you want to be your ringtone then right click the song, convert to AAC. then go to like start - search (on a windows, or use spotlight on a mac), and type in the song title. the one that comes up songtitle.m4a, rename it as songtitle.m4r, and then import it into itunes.

viola!

Exactly what I do, and it works without downloading additional software. And, it's free!

Rusalka

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Northern Virginia

viola!

+1

It's so easy once you do it a few times, three minutes tops.

Big Pope Daddy

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008

viola!

If you right click back on after creating the AAC, it should allow you to open in windows, and it will be right there to rename.

Big Pope Daddy

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
and the process described in the OP on his old phone would take 3 seconds. see the problem?

It is not that hard to do it. I would guess 3 minutes if you are following directions, but you can knock them out in less than a minute for 4 a bit ago.

Very easy imo.

Rusalka

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Northern Virginia
and the process described in the OP on his old phone would take 3 seconds. see the problem?

No, I don't see the problem actually.

OP asked for ideas on how to hear the songs he likes as his ringtone. He wasn't crying about how unconventional apple is.

And I doubt that is would take three seconds from the home screen. Moar realism plz.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
No, I don't see the problem actually.

OP asked for ideas on how to hear the songs he likes as his ringtone. He wasn't crying about how unconventional apple is.

And I doubt that is would take three seconds from the home screen. Moar realism plz.

yea because having to use a computer to create a ringtone is easier than doing it right from the phone in a matter of seconds. :rolleyes:

pass the koolaid.

Rusalka

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Northern Virginia
Yet again, the OP is asking for a SOLUTION. Someone provided a SOLUTION and I vouched for it.

Obviously you could use some Kool Aid, might improve your comprehension skills.

So you can't do it on your phone, boo hoo. Find another way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.