Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Ah, thank you for the response. That seems like such a weird omission on Apple's part. I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about the lack of native support for data storage. Or maybe they did when it first came out? I guess I'm a little late to the party.

There was A LOT of bitching when the touch first came out about this. The only "valid" reason I've ever known of is that it makes it ever-so-slightly harder to jailbreak without disk use being enabled. I don't have any proof to back this up, it's just the only real thing that makes sense.

mattandlil

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
Thanks for all the tips. I have blue bullet points by some of my tv seasons in my library and some don't. I'm trying to sync my touch with a season and failing. Plenty of disk space. Can you think of something I'm forgetting to do.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Thanks for all the tips. I have blue bullet points by some of my tv seasons in my library and some don't. I'm trying to sync my touch with a season and failing. Plenty of disk space. Can you think of something I'm forgetting to do.

The blue bullet points mean it is an unwatched season/episode - this will disappear once you watch it either in iTunes or on the iPod.
Make sure that your iPod is set to sync ALL tv shows/movies. It seems that it is currently set to only sync unwatched ones.

mattandlil

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
syncing

Thanks, also forgot to check mark the episodes in the library and had the "sync only checked items" marked in the summary.

niblum10

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2007
- .?123 DRAG - If you only want to get a single character from the non-Alpha list. For example if you are need to type "A1", to type the "1" you can click the .?123 button and without lifting your finger go to the "1". After you lift your finger, the "1" will be typed and the keyboard will automatically revert back to the "ABC" mode without needing to click on the "ABC" button again.

Thanks. This tip has been extremely helpful.

MrsJdepp

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
Itouch facebook

hey people,
um im on my itouch and im on the facebook app, but i dont know how to tag people in photos....
is it even possible? is so, can someone please tell me how to!
greatly appreciate!

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
hey people,
um im on my itouch and im on the facebook app, but i dont know how to tag people in photos....
is it even possible? is so, can someone please tell me how to!
greatly appreciate!

If you upload a photo from the iPod, there is a screen asking you to tag; to tag, you touch part of the screen which briefly turns into a white dot, then a list of your friends appears from which you can select who you want to be tagged.
In an existing photo, I've had some sort of success by swiping up or down on the screen with my finger, which brings up the Tag controls.

mlandis

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
Move iTouch audio-in recording to computer?

On my old iPod I could record quality sound, plug it into my computer and the recordings would automatically upload to my iTunes for use. How do I get the recordings on my iTouch?

azhkr

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2009
itouch purchase

Hi,
I'm looking to buy an itouch the buyer's guide says wait. Now everything I've read indicates this is a firmware/software upgrade so won't I be able to download it when it comes out? Is there any good reason to wait?
Thanks

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Hi,
I'm looking to buy an itouch the buyer's guide says wait. Now everything I've read indicates this is a firmware/software upgrade so won't I be able to download it when it comes out? Is there any good reason to wait?
Thanks

The "update" thing is based around the average between major hardware updates, software isn't necessarily a factor. It says there will be an update soon solely because of the fact that in February last year, halfway between the original release and the release of the 2nd gen, Apple introduced the 32GB model; thus on average there is an update every 6 months. This doesn't, however, mean that there necessarily WILL be a hardware update any time in the next few months.

jharmening

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2009
movie and podcasts not found

A rented movie and some podcasts not showing up on touch when downloaded from itunes on my macbook pro. itunes/itouch dialogue box seems to indicate the files transfer, but they simply arent showing up in video file..... funny thing is some files appear while others dont. any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

tuzed

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
Canada
Bluetooth

Second generation touch will have bluetooth enabled as soon as 3.0 comes out. The first has a different receiver with no bluetooth support.:(

tuzed

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
Canada
On my old iPod I could record quality sound, plug it into my computer and the recordings would automatically upload to my iTunes for use. How do I get the recordings on my iTouch?

Wait for 3.0 software, voice recording feature coming out then.

kunal123

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
Dehradun,India
ipod touch not jan update and further

if you press home button twice quickly and then sleep button you will get a large play,pause etc buttons in the locked screen. In 2g all you will get is a screenshots. Is there any way to stop the screenshots and get the feature back? (I had not bought the jan update but got a 2g ipod, earlier i had a 1g ipod)

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama
if you press home button twice quickly and then sleep button you will get a large play,pause etc buttons in the locked screen. In 2g all you will get is a screenshots. Is there any way to stop the screenshots and get the feature back? (I had not bought the jan update but got a 2g ipod, earlier i had a 1g ipod)

The feature works. You don't have to hit the power button. All you have to hit is the home button twice. On both models. I'm not sure why you've had it necessary to hit the power button.

Screen shots happen when you SIMULTANEOUSLY hold down power and home on any iPod Touch with the 2.0 software.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Yeah, double tap definitely works on the 2G touch's lock screen. Just don't touch the sleep button on the top of the iPod, that's not needed - it's all in the Home button. As has been said by the above poster, pressing the sleep button activates screenshots.

Anyway, I've made a few minor updates to the list, mainly a couple 3.0-only features. It's early so I cant remember a lot of them :p
If people want to post any more features feel free, I'll add them to the list.

wmf

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Pacific Northwest
DELETE MULTIPLE CHARACTERS/UNDO DELETE – While holding the delete button, slide your finger left to delete multiple characters. If you delete too many, drag your finger the other way to undo.

I have not been able to do this either.

It is unclear to me whether one is holding down the delete key and then sliding that same finger to the left/right OR holding down the delete key while simultaneously holding another finger over the text to select the cursor point then moving the cursor point finger left/right (awkward!) But I have tried variations of both with no luck. The later method, however, seems to highlight a single word and bring up the auto fill or auto finish word feature (?)

CHARACTER ACCENTS – If you need to use a character accent while typing, hold down on a letter and after a moment the range of accents available for that particular character will appear.

.?123 DRAG - If you only want to get a single character from the non-Alpha list. For example if you are need to type "A1", to type the "1" you can click the .?123 button and without lifting your finger go to the "1". After you lift your finger, the "1" will be typed and the keyboard will automatically revert back to the "ABC" mode without needing to click on the "ABC" button again.

The character accents also works on $ ? ! " '

These two methods can be combined, for example, when typing letters you can click and hold the ".?123" button, slide finger to the "$" character and pause, and other currency choices will appear. Slide to the one you want, for example, "€", let go, and you return to the letters characters again. This saves you from having to go to the .?123 screen and then the #+= screen.​

There is another "feature" I don't see here (maybe it was new with 2.0): When deleting alot of characters I will touch and hold the delete key, just as I would on a regular key board. after a certain number of characters it begins to delete entire words, not individual characters. OK, this could be useful, as long as you are expecting it and know to lift your finger if you don't want it to do that, since it can go really fast and there is no undo!! But I will lift my finger, to stop deleting characters, and the delete button has changed to white, kind of like "caps lock" and seems to be locked down! My finger is no longer touching the screen at all and the delete is still gobbling up all my text! I think one then hits delete again (or in my case, hits delete, hits it again, curses repeatedly, and watches all my text go away, with no way to undo.) Not a "feature" I like, though maybe I would if I knew what it was doing and how to use it. (Maybe that info is elsewhere on the forum. But could be added to the main list once deciphered.)

One more small suggestion would be to put under "bezel" what/where the bezel is. It was definitely a new vocabulary word for me when I first came across it.

Excellent thread, thanks!

MimiCT

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
Great post, thank you

I just purchased an I Touch and love it.

A question, how can I download a book to my ITouch and then listen to it, rather than read it. I'd like to download audio books.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.