Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yahoo! has released a dedicated iPhone application [App Store, Free], as well as a new Yahoo! Mobile site for use by other Internet-enabled mobile phones, providing integrated access to a number of Internet features.
- Yahoo!® oneSearch™ uses your location to find what you want, where you are
- The hottest news topics and sources
- Your web-based Emails accounts from Yahoo!® Mail, Gmail, AOL® Mail and Hotmail™
- Status and photo updates from social networks including Facebook®, Twitter™, MySpace®, Bebo®, Friendster®, and others
- Your RSS feeds (including My Yahoo! content) easily arranged and managed
- Web Sites, Sports, Stocks, Movie Theaters, Horoscopes
- ...and much, much more!
Yahoo! has also posted a video preview of their upcoming Yahoo! Messenger application for the iPhone.

Article Link: Yahoo! Releases iPhone App, Posts Video Preview of Messenger

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Buggy on 3.0b2.

On 2.2.1 its seems very fluid far. Nice app. Working to see how much you can do within this one app, which is its purpose and value.

Update: Animation and features are great, but it still crashed after adding a few things.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
From the video, the chat seems fairly good (although I really never use Yahoo's IM anymore -- too many IM spambots and weirdos). In the absence of push updates, the idle feature is nice, also.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Yahoo! has 3 iPhone apps with similar functionalities, oneConnect, Inquisitor, and this generic Yahoo! app.

Both oneConnect and Yahoo! can be used for IM and email, although oneConnect is more optimized implementation of the two. That said, it seems a fourth Yahoo! app demonstrated on the video (Messenger) will put an ax to it.

Inquisitor and this Yahoo! are both used for search, although Inquisitor does a better job using semi original UI.

Playing with this app for few minutes, I am not sure what it's supposed to be good at. And I hope Yahoo! isn't wasting resource by dedicating separate teams for each app.

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
I'm putting in my name and password into the app to see my messenger list and it's not accepting it. Yes, I verified it about 4 times to make sure I wasn't typing something wrong. It still didn't work. Reporting the bug to Yahoo after this post.

barefootman

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
Queensland, Australia
Not available in Australian iTunes store

What possible reason would there be for not making this available for download in every country's iTunes store?

That sort of thing really pisses me off. :mad:

grimm123

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2009
why do I need to pay for text

with this app, why would I need to pay for text messaging? the video shows that you can text and receive text messages for free. Or did I miss something?

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
The video says you can toggle between IM and SMS. It says you can send SMS to people's cell phones. Huh? Isn't this in some type of violation of AT&T ? Does it somehow route it through the iPhone SMS functionality and bill you? Do the SMS appear in your normal SMS record/blog ?

The guy in the video actually says "you can send free text messages to your friends' mobile phones."

Something tells me it's just a matter of days before AT&T steps in and puts a stop to this.

Whoa! The video even says the App stays active in the background and you stay signed in!!!

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
The video says you can toggle between IM and SMS. It says you can send SMS to people's cell phones. Huh? Isn't this in some type of violation of AT&T ? Does it somehow route it through the iPhone SMS functionality and bill you? Do the SMS appear in your normal SMS record/blog ?

The guy in the video actually says "you can send free text messages to your friends' mobile phones."

Something tells me it's just a matter of days before AT&T steps in and puts a stop to this.

Whoa! The video even says the App stays active in the background and you stay signed in!!!

There's already other apps that send SMS through the web, you can even do it with AIM.

About being online in the background. They just mean if you quite the app it keeps your status online anyway like the new AIM does. It's not really background.

Dias

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Considering that Yahoo Messenger is compatible with MSN Messenger, will I be able to use this iPhone client to chat with my MSN network?

Ahiqar

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Fox Cities, WI
No Fantasy sports

With as many people as I know who play fantasy football on Yahoo!, it would be nice if the Yahoo! app had that, or if there were a separate app for it. Maybe it will be here in time for the new season...

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
That iPhone Yahoo! Messenger looks awesome. The UI is clean and simple. It looks exactly as I'd want a first-party IM application to look. If it really is like that, they've done a fantastic job.

Wasn't there some kind of deal struck a few years ago that meant that Yahoo Messenger could talk to MSN contacts and vice versa? Just saying...

iWizzard

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
Now everyone in the world just have to switch to yahoo IM....
... or ro MSN....
... or ICQ...
... or google...
... or AOL...
... or or, or we all use an open client.

JW008

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
With as many people as I know who play fantasy football on Yahoo!, it would be nice if the Yahoo! app had that, or if there were a separate app for it. Maybe it will be here in time for the new season...

There's already one out there, though it's not great. I, too, was hoping there would be an official Yahoo one coming. I'm using it for Fantasy Baseball and it's got pretty much all the functionality you need, it's just slow and buggy. It's a relatively new app, though, so hopefully it will get better.

I don't have iTunes on the computer I'm on, but search for "Y! Fan" I have the professional version, so I can't comment on the free one.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Now everyone in the world just have to switch to yahoo IM....
... or ro MSN....
... or ICQ...
... or google...
... or AOL...
... or or, or we all use an open client.

As long as open source (open client) does not compromise security. I don't think you would want the security of your IM conversations to be compromised. ... And this brings up another issue. If I send an SMS (text) from the Yahoo client it is no longer secure. If I send an SMS through AT&T's network, it goes from my phone to AT&T and then to my friend's phone. If I send the SMS through Yahoo, it goes to the Yahoo server (the internet) before being rerouted to AT&T's internet server and then to my friend's phone. What if I'm sending personal info to one of my best friends? It's no longer secure.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Gawd, can that thing have anymore bugs? I'm ready to get the RAID out (I'm talkin' the whole case). Still can't sign in on my iPhone and no connect, no featured, no My Interests Page, no More Page, and Y!News sometimes works, but I can sign in on my MBP and my Mac Pro. Limited as to what this app can do; where's my Fantasy Sports categories? OK, it's taken two days to sign in, but it happened. I don't think it's quite ready and it's way late......:(:(:(:(:(:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.