Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
I guess this means no Sling Player thanks to AT&T

Terms of service for AT&T Wireless have been changed to block "downloading movies using P2P file sharing services, customer initiated redirection of television or other video or audio signals via any technology from a fixed location to a mobile device, web broadcasting, and/or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices."http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp

There is still wifi. But that's not nearly as cool.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
All that was required was a big, watershed event to bring the tyranny of the telecoms to light.

Here's to the upcoming NetNeutrality fight!

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009

beeh

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
If they do actually pull something like this in the future, it would be nice if they made the iPhone data plan a choice instead of a requirement.

I know a lot of people use the data plan via 3G, but for me and many others, the data plan isn't necessary.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
If they do actually pull something like this in the future, it would be nice if they made the iPhone data plan a choice instead of a requirement.

I know a lot of people use the data plan via 3G, but for me and many others, the data plan isn't necessary.

If this is done, it'll cost another $200 per phone and people will whine about that.

beeh

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
If this is done, it'll cost another $200 per phone and people will whine about that.

True, people will complain about anything ( like me about the $30 data plan, per phone ). If one data plan could cover two phones on a family plan, that would be better, but an extra $60 per month is a little much for how much I know I would use it. I would be willing to pay a monthly data fee based on usage, $30 is for "unlimited", I'm hoping for a monthly $5/$10/$20/$30 like DSL this next round. Or, like you mention, even a little higher cost per phone to eliminate the data plan cost.

Maybe I would be surprised at how much I would use it after I got an iPhone though? Who knows. If I didn't need a high speed connection for work, I would give that up for the iPhone data plan.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Maybe I would be surprised at how much I would use it after I got an iPhone though?

yes you would. Maps and other every day apps use data. When you need to find a quick place to eat, or check you email, or ..... ya, you don't realize how much you really use it, until you forget it at home one day :(

aok1975

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I have not had the data plan for the past 4 months. That is $120 I have saved already.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would be shocked if this stuck given the new XM/Sirius app that just launched. Either way, AT&T basically sucks balls all the same. Even though Verizon has that verbiage, they still offer the XM/Sirius streaming radio app as a native app on the Curves (at least).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.