Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Hey there,

is there a way to turn off audio sound effects/ notifications when you chat with somebody on Skype? As well as when people signin?

The only settings for audio is just for when signing in but there's no option to shut off any other sound effects.

Any suggestions?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Skype > Preferences > Notifications > Event

3417200281_70ed8f7a22_o.png

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
That unfortunately didn't work at all. Not sure why.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Yes i can click on the menu and i did what you suggested but that didn't stop the sounds when chatting with somebody.

(using latest too)

spoofyman

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
The Fix!!!!

Hey there,

is there a way to turn off audio sound effects/ notifications when you chat with somebody on Skype? As well as when people signin?

The only settings for audio is just for when signing in but there's no option to shut off any other sound effects.

Any suggestions?

ok this is how you do it with the Mac versions of skype (this is for the newest versions - i don't know about the old versions)

first go to Skype -> Preferences ( command , )
go to the notifications area
in the notifications area you will see the following fields:

Event: <- this is where you want to select that event you want to change. (ex: i wanted to turn off the annoying message sent and received so i clicked the drop down menu and selected "Message Sent" and Message Received")

Play Sound: This is the field that you can change the sound type (you can customize your sounds here) or you can simply uncheck the box in front to turn this sound off. (**NOTE** this field corresponds directly to the event, so do event first and then change your sound or turn off/on)

Bounce Icon in the Dock: this will bounce your skype icon when you get a message 2 -3 times (click repeat to keep it bouncing if you want)

Speak Text: this is where you can have you the selected event speak text instead of playing a sound. (fun little area if you want to play a prank on someone lol!! )

So for anyone that still doesn't follow here's the process to turn off the Message Received sound

Skype -> Preferences -> Notifications -> Event = Message Received -> "uncheck" Play sound -> close Preferences (you don't need to restart skype)

that's it your done!!!! :D

Reactions: carlsson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.