Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
If you are a heavy cell phone user, this might not be the thread for you. I personally use about 150 minutes a month, a few texts here and there, and maybe bring up a map occasionally if I'm on a trip, so here is what I'm thinking:

Right now, if you have a first-gen iPhone (as I do), the cheapest you can do is $69.51 after taxes, or $834.12 a year. My contract is coming up soon (November actually, but I might buy it out) and I've been doing a little investigating on what pay options are. For years I just used a Virgin Mobile Pay as you go phone for $0.25 a minute and hardly ever spent more than $20-30 a month, so that is what I'm looking at doing here.

I found out you can easily covert an iPhone to a GoPhone using the similar $0.25 a minute charge (or $1/day used + $0.10 a minute). Add to that Skype Out at $0.02 a minute, and we're starting to see things taking shape. So here is my plan:

Proposed setup
-Convert to Pay as you go (GoPhone) - I confirmed it includes Visual Voicemail
-Add a $100 GoPhone card, which expires in 365 days (400 minutes)
-Add $10 of Skype Out credit (500 minutes )for when I'm by a WiFi spot, which I usually am to make outbound calls cheaper atthose times
-Use Textfree lite for a free 15 texts per day ($5.99 for unlimited texts forever) - free inbound texts if I get my one buddy I text with to use it, otherwise it's $0.20 for inbound texts) (on second thought, that might go against data usage, so I have to check on the cost there(

What is lost/limited
-Essentially, non-WiFi data access. normal charges are $0.01/kb (which is rape) or you can by 30 day bundles at $5/MB or $20 for 100MB.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
tl;dr

The "low cost" iPhone of the future, is the normal iPhone of today. Otherwise, monthly fees are up to the carrier.

aok1975

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
How do you get visual voicemail without data?
You can send and recieve free text messages through your email without any app. This way you are not limited to 15 a day.

teiresias

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
I could definitely go for an even smaller phone minutes plan to lower the bill a bit. Voice is definitely my lowest usage currently.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
How do you get visual voicemail without data?
You can send and recieve free text messages through your email without any app. This way you are not limited to 15 a day.

I'd have to look into it, but when I live chatted with AT&T support they wayd that Visual Voicemail was included when you use an iPhone as a GoPhone.

As for texting, that is going to cost you data if you're not on WiFi.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
am i missing something here?

i have a iPhone 2G and only pay 20/month...

is 5-10$ a month really worth not being able to use an iPhone for what an iPhone is for?

i can tether in the car with my MacBook and SMS for free using Mail...

this seems like a lot of work to save only a few bucks

aok1975

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
am i missing something here?

i have a iPhone 2G and only pay 20/month...

is 5-10$ a month really worth not being able to use an iPhone for what an iPhone is for?

i can tether in the car with my MacBook and SMS for free using Mail...

this seems like a lot of work to save only a few bucks
How do you pay $20 a month? I pay 70

ottoman1384

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
$20 - unlimited data + 200 TXT Msgs

:)

edit: AND i'm in ATL not canada

I hate when people come on here and say they have something but don't explain it.

I can say I have a $5 plan with unlimited data and 1 million txt msgs but it doesn't mean **** unless I explain myself...

So please elaborate on your claims...

gabe281

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
Saving Money...

This thread seems to be concerned with saving money, so I have to ask. Why are you buying an iPhone in the first place? There are plenty of phones that don't cost $400 and then you won't have to get such a low rent service plan.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
This thread seems to be concerned with saving money, so I have to ask. Why are you buying an iPhone in the first place? There are plenty of phones that don't cost $400 and then you won't have to get such a low rent service plan.

It's not about saving money - it's about spending it more wisely. If I'm spending $850 a year on my iPhone plan and can get pretty much all the same functionality for my usage for $400 a year, isn't pocketing the $450 worth it?

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
and being gayed at by someone with less than 30 posts isn't really much of an insult. i didn't do anything special or go out of my way. i still have voice and am on a family plan let's take a chill pill i get roll over so i don't have to worry about the minutes

it's just the standard bundle.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I'd have to look into it, but when I live chatted with AT&T support they wayd that Visual Voicemail was included when you use an iPhone as a GoPhone.

As for texting, that is going to cost you data if you're not on WiFi.
Sorry but Visual Voicemail on an original iPhone or the iPhone 3G requires an iPhone data plan. There is a little confusion because on the original iPhone if you failed the iTunes Credit Check you were offered a Prepaid option that included the iPhone data plan so that would support the Visual Voicemail feature.

Also, from your initial post you will have to pay the full $175 ETF since your contract start was before May 25, 2008 when the $5 pre month reduction started.

Dave

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
on ATT you can't have just a data plan.
Actually, you can have a data only plan with AT&T, just not on a GoPhone rate plan. A little research will show you how it is done.... you just have to think outside the box and have a disregard for Contract Terms of Use just like the OP (hint: BB Personal data plan $35).

Dave

aok1975

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
iPhone 3g. I only pay 30 dollars a month and I get 2100 minutes. Unlimited text. I only pay for the data plan.

Family plan. :D

This thread seems to be going the wrong way. The plan you are on does not cost a total of $30, how much you pay personally is the the issue. The issue is the total cost of the plan, which is not $30.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.