Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zephyras

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Hi,

Just a wondering really; I've got an old 12" Powerbook that isn't in use anymore, I've also got an external hard drive with all my movies, TV Shows etc.

We run a wireless network through a bog standard router. Is it possible to connect the external HD to the powerbook, then browse and view (streaming them) all the media on my MacBook Pro?

Thanks

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Hi,

Just a wondering really; I've got an old 12" Powerbook that isn't in use anymore, I've also got an external hard drive with all my movies, TV Shows etc.

We run a wireless network through a bog standard router. Is it possible to connect the external HD to the powerbook, then browse and view (streaming them) all the media on my MacBook Pro?

Thanks

You could. You would need to enable file sharing on the PowerBook. For file sharing settings, you will need add the external HDD to share over the network.

darrenscerri

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Malta
Yeah why not? The PB can work as a client in the network which in turn will have the external HD throughout the network. Enjoy! :apple:

Zephyras

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Bloody Tiger...

So I've only just got round to trying this... and I'm having trouble setting it up.

The old Powerbook that I'm using is running Tiger so some of the file sharing options shown here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549 don't exist ie add a folder to share.

Does anyone know how to get round this on Tiger?

I can see all the other folders on the powerbook, just not the external HD.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.