Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today posted three new iPhone commercials to their ad gallery.

- Itchy features three apps linked by the common theme of being used on a nature walk: Compass Go [App Store, $1.99], iBird Explorer Plus [App Store, $19.99], and How To Videos from Howcast.com [App Store, Free].

- Office features three business-oriented apps promoted for their roles in sales transactions: Credit Card Terminal [App Store, $49.99], Print & Share [App Store, $6.99], and FedEx Mobile for iPhone [App Store, Free].

- Student features three apps positioned to appeal to college students: Apartments [App Store, Free], SnapTell [App Store, Free], and Photogene [App Store, $2.99].

Article Link: Apple Releases Three New iPhone Ads: 'Itchy', 'Office', and 'Student'

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
how and where does the shipping label print to?

Photogene looks very cool

h.21

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
So now that there's an app to handle credit card transactions, how long before they ditch those piles of fail they use for checkouts at the Apple Stores?

Although, they did say "small business"..

brianbobcat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
Illinois
By the way, both those addresses shown on the label are locations for Chiat Day, Apple's ad agency. From address: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=safari&num=50&q=5353+Grosvenor+Blvd,+Los+Angeles+CA,+90066&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=7q3aSYnPLo-EtAPPzozQBg&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr To: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=safari&num=50&q=5353+Grosvenor+Blvd,+Los+Angeles+CA,+90066&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=7q3aSYnPLo-EtAPPzozQBg&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr"

I also found it funny that the recipient's last name is "Stalker" which is totally what I did by looking up those addresses.

-Brian

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Snaptell looks awesome!:eek:

I love how many ideas are coming out of the appstore.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Fail

fail.PNG

Way to promote a 2-star app!

I don't get the SnapTell thing. If you can take a picture of the media to tell you what it is, can't you just... read the cover? Don't say it's faster either, because the lag between loading the app up, loading the camera, steadying the picture, sending over the web, and getting results isn't going to be that convienent.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
View attachment 166119

Way to promote a 2-star app!

I don't get the SnapTell thing. If you can take a picture of the media to tell you what it is, can't you just... read the cover? Don't say it's faster either, because the lag between loading the app up, loading the camera, steadying the picture, sending over the web, and getting results isn't going to be that convienent.

.... It takes the pic, then gives you a list of who sells it and for cheapest.....

WHOOOOOSH!

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
Thats how you do a commercial Microsoft.

haha ;)
By the way, both those addresses shown on the label are locations for Chiat Day, Apple's ad agency. From address: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=safari&num=50&q=5353+Grosvenor+Blvd,+Los+Angeles+CA,+90066&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=7q3aSYnPLo-EtAPPzozQBg&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr To: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=safari&num=50&q=5353+Grosvenor+Blvd,+Los+Angeles+CA,+90066&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=7q3aSYnPLo-EtAPPzozQBg&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr"

I also found it funny that the recipient's last name is "Stalker" which is totally what I did by looking up those addresses.

-Brian

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
There's an app for that? Nonsense! :mad: All iPhone owners will be soon throwing away their handsets just to get their hands on the amazing Palm Pre's keyboard and background processing, oh, and I forgot, the PalmOS emulator that can run 30,000 apps from the 1980's. Palm has an app for that. :D

I like those iPhone ads. Just watching them gives goosebumps. Simple, low-key, high-impact just like the iPhone.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Those were pretty good and all had some apps I never knew about but looked pretty cool

mulze22

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Up Nort
I saw "Student" on 24 tonight!
Very appropriate, as I am a college student... shopping for an apartment for next year... and I had no idea about that app. Now that's good advertising ;)

I'm in the same exact boat as you. Only I just watched it online.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Judge for yourself:

SnapTell - 9 listings (1 incorrect) in 38 seconds.

Froogle - 57 listings in 40 seconds.

Uh, check the link for your first video.

I also think you are severly underestimating how much people like when things are simple. Your froogle video involved way more steps than the snaptell one does.

And does froogle search by simply taking a picture?

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Uh, check the link for your first video.

I also think you are severly underestimating how much people like when things are simple. Your froogle video involved way more steps than the snaptell one does.

And does froogle search by simply taking a picture?

Fixed.

Froogling is really as easy as... well, googling. I don't see any particular benefit taking a picture has; You'll spend just as much time waiting for the camera, uploading, and analyzing the image as you would typing out the product name.

SnapTell:

1. Load app
2. Press camera button (you also may need to reply to "allow location" popup
3. Take picture
4. Use photo
5. Pick local/online results
6. View available products

Froogle:

1. Load Safari
2. Navigate to Froogle
3. Search product name
4. Pick search result
5. View available products

The iPhone can already do what these kinds of apps do so easily, all they do is bloat the App store and make it harder to find apps that truly have unique functionality. Sure, it's cool it can analyze a product from a picture, but c'mon, do you really need that service to know what you are looking at?

AustinZ

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
That credit card app is actually really cool, when you think about it- and it does what it does without third-party hardware. When 3.0 comes out with custom hardware support, there's really nothing standing in the way of these devices becoming ubiquitous pretty much everywhere.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
Look, as long as they don't feature some douche trying to buy a computer on the cheapo, I'm good with whatever advertising Apple decides to do.

:D:D

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Is there an app to make the batteries on our brand new iPhones last longer than a day between recharges? Other than Don'tUseThePhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.